Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my first non walmart bike today since im really starting to get into mountain biking...i think its a pretty good choice for an entry level.....2010 GT Avalance 3.0 Disc Hardtail....anyone else out there have the same bike? any advice for taking good care of my investment would be greatly appreciated as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the small frame size....16 inches... the med frame fit but it just felt a little crowded....sorry, new to the forum and couldnt find the GT one...

·
Registered
64 Posts
my advise to you, ride it until it breaks, and dont go to bike shops that carry prettier bikes than the one you got, because you will end up spending more $$, you will sell your bike cheap to get a nicer one.
when you are on the trail, dont look at other bikes, just look at yours. or you will end up at the shop and $$$
dont pick up bike magazines, because you will see nice bikes, and will make you wonder and before you know it $$$

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, the reflectors were the first to go....if anyone is interested, the bike is $520 at REI with a 10% rebate (only paid $470). The funny thing is, i have only had it for two days and i am already wanting to go out and upgrade the hell out it but i really dont feel like being broke right now....just going to enjoy for now....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
funny thing happened today, out doing some light downhills and jumps just to get a feel for it and as i place it in low to go up a hill, disaster strikes. For whatever reason the chain hopped off and seized up in the middle sprocket so badly that it bent it out of alingment. Took it back to REI to see if they could order a replacment under warranty (these things tend to happen), and the manager was cool enough to upgrade me to a Shimano Deore XT Crankset ($240 !!!!) free of charge for all the hassle. Kudos to REI, they just got a customer for life...took it back out with the new crank and its friggin sweet...bike is super solid, brakes stop on a dime (even going downhill) and the fork rides really smooth....this might be one of the times when it is actually a good thing if you break your bike....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.