Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an alternative to just throwing my bike in the bed of my truck. i can fabricate and was thinking of making something but id like to see whats available(if such a thing even exists). I was thinking of something that mounts on the rails of the bed so that you still had your cargo space. i suppose i could also just get a hitch mount(which literally, JUST occured tome). I do like making things though, but if the price is right i would consider just buying something.

thanks!

for the record i have an 06 GMC Sierra 2500.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pickup Truck bike rack ...

This discussion has come-up before on this forum ...

There are basically four types of racks for trucks;

1. The improvised bike hitch on a board or rail
2. The stand-up slot - much like the traditional sidewalk bike rack, but in your truck. These are both manufactured and improvised using PVC pipe.
3. There are small bracket type systems that brace your bike in standing position to the sidewall, and then addition brackets to tie additional bike toward the center. RecRac is the well known brand for this.
4. Specialty racks that might go over the tailgate, or even use the tailgate gap to secure a rack of some sort - or, do highly compacting stuff like RempRack does (great for families that are pulling trailers).

There are - of course - the broad range of hitch-mounted racks which will also work with trucks.

Personally, I use the RempRack, and I am a huge fan.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When you say you have been throwing the bikes in the bed, do you mean just laying them down in there? Most ppl with pickup trucks up here just use a Dakine tailgate pad and are done with it!

Cheers

Buzz

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Thule Instagator...

I have a Tacoma 4-door with the short bed. I can fit my Large Santa Cruz in it with no problems by pointing the frame to the front corner. It's the best solution so far with thru-axle forks since you don't have to remove the front wheel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Buzz said:
When you say you have been throwing the bikes in the bed, do you mean just laying them down in there? Most ppl with pickup trucks up here just use a Dakine tailgate pad and are done with it!

Cheers

Buzz
+1 moving blanket works well too, or the softride tailgate pad

·
Registered
55 Posts
PT Lumber

I made my rack out of PT lumber. I used 2x8's and basically made a rectangle with channels in it to "wedge" the tires into. I have 2 slots on the outside of the rectangle (outside of the bed) and one in the middle. The one in the middle is raised to half way up the 2x8 so that 3 bikes can all be loaded, front wheel forward, without handlebars hitting each other. The middle bike rides up higher than the 2 on the sides. I then use a bungee around the seat post and attach it to the rail for stabilization. The middle bike has a long bungee that mounts to the rack, comes up and over the top tube, and attaches to an eye-bolt on the other side. This rack allows you to leave your wheels on your bike during transport.

I built the rack so it is just about 1/8 inch too wide for the bed. That way, I can stand on it to wedge it into place and it won't move around. The 2 x 8 's are heavy enough that it's plenty stable.

If I want to carry more bikes, I can turn 2 bikes around and bungee them between the bikes in the slots so the entire bike is in the bed, or I can hang 2 over the tailgate shuttle style and there is plenty of room to stash gear in the vacant spots in the rack. Total of 5 bikes with the wheels on is a piece of cake.

I also screwed a piece of climbing webbing to the front of the rack so it has a handle. This makes it portable if I need to use the bed of my truck for other stuff.

Sorry I dont have a picture. It's buried under snow in the yard somewhere. Hope this made a little sense.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
achtungpv said:
I have the Thule Instagator...

I have a Tacoma 4-door with the short bed. I can fit my Large Santa Cruz in it with no problems by pointing the frame to the front corner. It's the best solution so far with thru-axle forks since you don't have to remove the front wheel.
I have a Taco myself. Can anyone confirm that the InstaGator will work with a 64* HA?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.