Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess JeffCo has a "plan" or just a lot of people on the payroll without something to do. I rode Pick-nSledge last night at Apex and it has been sanitized pretty good. Soft loose dirt everywhere right now.

Is there anyway to find out what JeffCo has planned for trail work like this? I just want to make sure to get one last ride in on those trails before they change.

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
I suspect there are more influential 80 year old frail ladies than there are tech-loving mountain bikers at the JeffCo meetings. :D
You might be right, but they'll listen to the frail old ladies before they'll listen to just any mountain biker. I used to be on COMBA's policy committee (albeit, a very short time), and got really frustrated by the politics of Jeffco, Jeffco Open Space, and the subcommittees therein. Here's how it works (maybe it's changed, maybe it hasn't). JCOS takes input from 3 subgroups; hikers, bikers, and equestrians. Each of these groups has 3 people on it. I have no idea who is on the biking committee anymore. The reasoning is so suggestions, proposals, complaints, etc. don't come from just anyone and everyone...this stuff gets funneled through these subgroups. COMBA has (or had) very little influence on the biking subgroup, so it's hard to get anything done. Hence my frustration when people say "Just show up to a JCOS meeting!", when in reality, the process has been designed to minimize the input of the average Jeffco mountain biker/taxpayer, so it's just not even worth showing up. I'm a supporting member of COMBA, and this year have been pretty disappointed by the lack of communication coming out of the organization. Would sure be nice to know what they're working on (and yes, I've been to their website a lot). I think they do what they can, but their influence on JCOS isn't very great, in my opinion, but it's not their fault. It's the way the system is designed.

/rant off.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,462 Posts
russman said:
You might be right, but they'll listen to the frail old ladies before they'll listen to just any mountain biker. I used to be on COMBA's policy committee (albeit, a very short time)
You see... your rants about post-sanitary work at the parks would carry MUCH more weight than say... someone who has never been to a meeting.

Like me. :cool:

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
russman said:
You might be right, but they'll listen to the frail old ladies before they'll listen to just any mountain biker. I used to be on COMBA's policy committee (albeit, a very short time), and got really frustrated by the politics of Jeffco, Jeffco Open Space, and the subcommittees therein. Here's how it works (maybe it's changed, maybe it hasn't). JCOS takes input from 3 subgroups; hikers, bikers, and equestrians. Each of these groups has 3 people on it. I have no idea who is on the biking committee anymore. The reasoning is so suggestions, proposals, complaints, etc. don't come from just anyone and everyone...this stuff gets funneled through these subgroups. COMBA has (or had) very little influence on the biking subgroup, so it's hard to get anything done. Hence my frustration when people say "Just show up to a JCOS meeting!", when in reality, the process has been designed to minimize the input of the average Jeffco mountain biker/taxpayer, so it's just not even worth showing up. I'm a supporting member of COMBA, and this year have been pretty disappointed by the lack of communication coming out of the organization. Would sure be nice to know what they're working on (and yes, I've been to their website a lot). I think they do what they can, but their influence on JCOS isn't very great, in my opinion, but it's not their fault. It's the way the system is designed.

/rant off.
All that being said, if you go to a JCOS advisory meeting:
http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/agendas.htm#osac

If you (not directly to OP) have a problem with what's happening to the trails, you should at least take the time to get involved. Join COMBA, ask them what they are doing for you, ask what you can do for them. Become a part (no matter how small) of the process. Show up to the jeffco meetings. Listen. If you have something intelligent to say that is well thought out and reasoned speak up, but don't alienate the people on the board. The more people that get involved with COMBA (and help to shape COMBA's direction), the more powerful they can be.

It'd be nice if the trails just showed up, they were perfect and we had to do nothing to do. It's a political process though and you need to your part....

or just complain on mtbr and see what that changes...

Kirk

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,462 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
All that being said, if you go to a JCOS advisory meeting:
http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/agendas.htm#osac

or just complain on mtbr and see what that changes...

Kirk
That's what I'm getting at.

It actually could BE that in an area that has 2 million people within a VERY easy drive of these trails that the VAST majority of the users *like* what's being done. Making it easier to hike, etc.

Remember - most people are lazy, uncoordinated nincompoops. Even if they are getting "away from it all" on a JeffCo trail.

:D

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
"get involved with COMBA

or just complain on mtbr and see what that changes..."

Frankly, I've done both. I'm not sure what gets more mileage. Go to the COMBA policy page...try to figure out what they're doing:

http://www.comba.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=43

They're still going on about the 2 year old Ad Hoc committee for North Table Mountain. So who knows WHAT they're focusing on public policy wise.

It's also hard to go to JCOS meetings to wait your turn to talk knowing full well they don't really take input from the average joe...like I said, they like input funneled through the user group subcommittee. (BTW, who's on that subcommittee for bikers? Anyone know?).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.