Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eBay rocks! I got a great deal on this thing.

It's an '03 Diamondback SL Super, only has a few hundred miles on it. I have done a few trails so far and it rides like a dream compared to my old GT LTS. Some of you may laugh at the non-racing seat but with a gel seat I can ride an hour longer since my a$$ isn't complaining anymore.

·
Heart Plumber
337 Posts
Kurt(Miami) said:

It's an '03 Diamondback SL Super, only has a few hundred miles on it. I have done a few trails so far and it rides like a dream compared to my old GT LTS. Some of you may laugh at the non-racing seat but with a gel seat I can ride an hour longer since my a$$ isn't complaining anymore.
Not been rude here but, what about those flat pedals on a xc rig like that? Mixed gear, but I guess you have your reason. I have a friend that race on a sofa like yours and he love it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JDO said:
Not been rude here but, what about those flat pedals on a xc rig like that? Mixed gear, but I guess you have your reason. I have a friend that race on a sofa like yours and he love it.
I like them alot, I just dont want to deal with clips since I use my feet alot on the technical trails down here. They are magnesium and super light.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I got your back...

I ride XC with platform pedals too. Nothing wrong with doing so. The only thing you are missing out on is the ability to pullup on the pedals during climbing. My friends dust me on the climbs.

But other than that, ain't nothing wrong with platforms. To each their own is what I say. Do what works out for you. So long as you are out there enjoying the sport.

·
Registered
981 Posts
One more thing.

Those are heavy platforms though, you can find some smaller caged platform pedals that weigh alot less. Interloc makes a nice one and even cheap mail order joings sell lighter metal caged ones in the 280-310 gram range.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Kurt(Miami) said:
I like them alot, I just dont want to deal with clips since I use my feet alot on the technical trails down here. They are magnesium and super light.
Excuse Petes tone, but I see where he is coming from. Believe it or not, clipless pedals, although conceptually the idea behind them may seem a little dangerous, in very hairy technical conditions, certainly do not inhibit you from getting through a rough section, even if your using your feet (???).. Once you get used to them, you almost couldn't imagine riding nasty sections without them.

Clipless pedals make the bike an extension of you and thus make life easier in the long run.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Kurt(Miami) said:
Is that an RP3 shock? I love the RP3 on my Spot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trevor! said:
Excuse Petes tone, but I see where he is coming from. Believe it or not, clipless pedals, although conceptually the idea behind them may seem a little dangerous, in very hairy technical conditions, certainly do not inhibit you from getting through a rough section, even if your using your feet (???).. Once you get used to them, you almost couldn't imagine riding nasty sections without them.

Clipless pedals make the bike an extension of you and thus make life easier in the long run.
I just use my feet every once and a while to stay up, I just dont want to go through the falling over period with clipless pedals

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
frankenbike said:
One more thing.

Those are heavy platforms though, you can find some smaller caged platform pedals that weigh alot less. Interloc makes a nice one and even cheap mail order joings sell lighter metal caged ones in the 280-310 gram range.
They are 380 grams, I'm not a weight weenie anyways.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Now that is hilarious, I'm not sure who did that list but that is terrible.

WV is not even on the list however we are ranked as one of the best states for riding. Then to top that off Tsali left loop is 12th! That is amazing, it is a nice fast trail but not technical in the least. To be honestt I was actually dissapointed with it after driving as far as I did to get there. Then my favorite is that slick rock is ranked above Porcupine Rim.

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst trail rankings I have ever seen.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I put platforms on yesterday

I had been wanting to practice bunny hopping and jumping with platforms to improve my skills and make my riding with clipless pedals better. I put the platforms on yesterday and went and rode some cross county trails. It was fun going back to platforms for a day and jumping was easier than I thought it would be although I wasn't getting as much air as usual. It was an exhilerating feeling to jump wiht them as opposed to clipless. I must agree on the climbing and technical riding though, much easier with clipless.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey NICE bike!

That's a nice ride, looks like a good build for your terrain. You'll have to excuse the attitude from some of the riders here, some people just don't get it. I mean ANY of it. Ride what you, yourself, likes, not what others tell you to ride.
-t

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
LowCel said:
Now that is hilarious, I'm not sure who did that list but that is terrible.

WV is not even on the list however we are ranked as one of the best states for riding. Then to top that off Tsali left loop is 12th! That is amazing, it is a nice fast trail but not technical in the least. To be honestt I was actually dissapointed with it after driving as far as I did to get there. Then my favorite is that slick rock is ranked above Porcupine Rim.

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst trail rankings I have ever seen.

Just my opinion.
From the bottom of that site:

"100 most popular mountain bike trails as ranked by the following weighted factors:
Number of users who have ridden the trail
Number of users who want to ride the trail
Number of page views
Number of page views this month
Number of times the trail has been ridden by users "

Explains some of the rankings... Also, for instance, the Colorado trails are skewed heavily towards Colorado Springs, must be a lot of peeps from there attending that website.

As far as the bike, or your equipment, don't sweat it. Ride what you want, enjoy it, ride some more. Ride what works for you, just keep an open ear towards other options available these days, there are a ton! I've seen some guys out on one of the technical trails in my neighborhood (Hall Ranch, fwiw) riding a beat down 70's womens townie while wearing flip flops (also wearing a CU jersey and grass skirt).

Mock away, mockers!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ditto......nice ride. Not using this particular thread as example, but in general, it boggles my mind how people on mtbr often post either rude, meaningless, or irrelevant info as their norm.....I know, they are entitled to their opinion but this is a mountain bike site where we actually all share a single passion (I wish they would get rid of that stupid politcal forum.....no room for it here but I am sure some disagree).

And Trevor as usual make a good point. Perhaps one day you could buy a cheap/ebay set of clipless to try it out. I am very happy with them. I look at clipless pedals kinda like driving using a manual transmission. After a while, you dont even think about shifting gears (ie, clipping out) since it becomes part of your natural reflexes.

Cheers

·
Just win baby!
360 Posts
FoShizzle said:
(I wish they would get rid of that stupid politcal forum.....no room for it here but I am sure some disagree).

I agree, it has no place on this particular board of this forum, but how do you figure there is no room for it on this forum at all? Are you being forced to go to the political forum against your wishes?

If you don't like it, don't read it...where's the problem?

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Yep, It's all about commitment

Trevor! said:

don't go into a section thinking I might not clear it or you won't and there is no shame in hike a biking iffy sections.

Trevor is right embrace the clipless pedals and you will never look back.
Eventually not only will you feel safer in the nasty sections you will clear more of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.