Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some therapy at a physical therapy center. I am wondering is there a website where they are lisitings how good these places are? Or does it not matter and you should just do the excerises they give you and stop worrying about if the people working there are doing the right thing for you? I would just like to see if there might be a listing or reviews for places. They clain they are watching you do the excersies to see if you are doing them correctly. But at times I wonder if they even notice once they show you how to do it? Or in other words if you make a mistake it seems the other help might not say anything to you while doing a excerise since they were not assigned to you. I think that makes better my point here.
thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
PT's

Atomic300 said:
I am doing some therapy at a physical therapy center. I am wondering is there a website where they are lisitings how good these places are? Or does it not matter and you should just do the excerises they give you and stop worrying about if the people working there are doing the right thing for you? I would just like to see if there might be a listing or reviews for places. They clain they are watching you do the excersies to see if you are doing them correctly. But at times I wonder if they even notice once they show you how to do it? Or in other words if you make a mistake it seems the other help might not say anything to you while doing a excerise since they were not assigned to you. I think that makes better my point here.
thanks
A bit more information is always helpful. Are you feeling that you are not being treated one-on-one, or do you not feel like the PT is not competent or not helping you recover?
As far as diagnoses, you may want to do a bit of shopping around before settling on your clinician. You may choose a PT that is heavy into sports med (CSCS or OCS), or one that has a level IV manual therapy certification (CMT).
If within the clinic you don't feel that you are getting the best care possible, it is your right to request switching to a different PT as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BoiseBoy said:
A bit more information is always helpful. Are you feeling that you are not being treated one-on-one, or do you not feel like the PT is not competent or not helping you recover?
As far as diagnoses, you may want to do a bit of shopping around before settling on your clinician. You may choose a PT that is heavy into sports med (CSCS or OCS), or one that has a level IV manual therapy certification (CMT).
If within the clinic you don't feel that you are getting the best care possible, it is your right to request switching to a different PT as well.
Yes I am feeling that I am not being given one on one. Is one on one something someone should expect? Also went on tuesday and only two other people there and yet PT still most of the time stayed at their little area. My observation is that they know what excersie's I should be doing thus on a slow day for them they let me do my own thing and watch now and then. Is this a over reaction on my part expecting more individual attention in a place with alot of patients? I guess I will say that PT is trying to help me to recover looking at me now and then when excerising or should PT be doing more and aksing if I still have pain. The question also is should they be standing there watching you more closely while doing excerise or should they be doing their paperwork while maybe peering up now and then? I thought they should have been watching longer? But I am not a PT, are you a PT?and have never gone for therapy until now. Also what does cscs and ocs stand for and what does level iv manual therapy cmt mean. Is this something I should have asked when I made first call to set up an appointment? Also I am alittle intimidated to ask about PT schooling. If explantion confusing I can retell it. But thanks for your input.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,
Now that a friend in a different city has had PT too. I feel that they all work almost the same. I think that is kinda of strange in a way but maybe good? Who care just hope I get better its all Hot dogs, beer, and horns.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Pt

Atomic300 said:
Yes I am feeling that I am not being given one on one. Is one on one something someone should expect? Also went on tuesday and only two other people there and yet PT still most of the time stayed at their little area. My observation is that they know what excersie's I should be doing thus on a slow day for them they let me do my own thing and watch now and then. Is this a over reaction on my part expecting more individual attention in a place with alot of patients? I guess I will say that PT is trying to help me to recover looking at me now and then when excerising or should PT be doing more and aksing if I still have pain. The question also is should they be standing there watching you more closely while doing excerise or should they be doing their paperwork while maybe peering up now and then? I thought they should have been watching longer? But I am not a PT, are you a PT?and have never gone for therapy until now. Also what does cscs and ocs stand for and what does level iv manual therapy cmt mean. Is this something I should have asked when I made first call to set up an appointment? Also I am alittle intimidated to ask about PT schooling. If explantion confusing I can retell it. But thanks for your input.
In a general sense, a PT will attempt to get you as independant in your exercise program as quickly as possible. If he or she feels you need more guidance or attention it should be given.
It does depend on what they are billing as well. Often times it is not worth the pt's time, and it being ethically questionable for us to bill for you to sit on a bike for 15 minutes while you warm up and charge you $40. To save your insurance, as many policies have low PT allowances, they will have you work out for an hour, but may only charge you for 30min of one on one for that particular session as not all of it was direct pt care.

A pt has to be a bit more proactive as well. If you don't think that you are properly educated, feel comfortable with, or are doing an exercise correctly, you need to say something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My patellar been bothering me for the last 6 weeks. At the start of the season I gradually increased my miles and thought I was going to have a great year and wham. Took the winds right from my sails. After my initial pain I stopped and slowly started again, but when I went mountain biking, it started all over. Bummer. I went to a doc and now I'm going through PT. With PT and some prayers I hope to be riding soon. In the meantime I'll do some upper body weight lifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts