Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

im Andy (aka Skim). a local downhiller and photographer in Orange County. Just wanted to share a fun shoot i had with a riding buddy, at Oakley Trails (Dragonback aka steeps). At the same time, we are looking to meet some more local downhill riders to build a group of fellow DHers.. A group we can share experiences with, learn from, teach, etc. I'd say we are intermediate riders. If you see us on the trails, say hello!

or... post comments, feedback, insight, reviews, whatever you'd like about the photography i share. My background is Automotive photographer and i've been shooting for about 8 years. Riding, well, i've been into mountain biking for a few years now. However, grew up BMXing and Freestyle MXing.

Enjoy the pictures.

And here are a few pictures of me riding that a buddy shot, along with a shot i took of my Norco. Looking forward to meet some fellow riders.

-Skim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet pics. where exactly is steeps/dragonback? googling returned no results for either name
Edison - Aliso Trail in Foothill Ranch, CA | MapMyRun

basically Foothill Ranch/Lake Forest area. Ive searched google to try to find the trail name originally, couldnt locate it on google either. So i ended up finding a youtube video of the trail and thats where the names came from. Whether they are accurate or not, i have no clue. Certainly FUN to ride. Here is a link with a map ^. basically, 'edison trails' are Oakley. They call it Oakley since just down the street is the big ol Oakley HQ.

All of the mountain bike trails, have one starting point and branch off. Dragonback/Steeps goes straight down the middle, using the most advanced parts of the cliff. A couple of the other trails have some small jumps and a lot of turns.

the whole edison/oakley trails are pretty fun. We live about 5 minutes away, so for a quick VERY local ride it's worth it. lots of local groms building jumps all over the place out there. yet, i never see any of them hitting the bigger jumps haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the "real" name for the trails is "OAKLEY TRAILS" since most of the oakley riders (mtbers, bmxers, etc..) go there to putt around. At least that's what ive heard..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oh sweet thanks. I suck at jumping so it would be nice to have a spot that I has some smaller ones I can learn on and get proper form. Last jump I took was in big bear last year (the doubles after the wooden bridge) and hit a tree on the landing injuring my elbow and wrists lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh sweet thanks. I suck at jumping so it would be nice to have a spot that I has some smaller ones I can learn on and get proper form. Last jump I took was in big bear last year (the doubles after the wooden bridge) and hit a tree on the landing injuring my elbow and wrists lol
Haha ya I ate it there to, me and skim have video of it. I lost my balance on the landing and rolled a couple times before coming to a complete stop, wasn't nice lol. But yea, I'm just learning the jumps, Oakley is a great place to learn. You should come out with us

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was that the 2nd jump? i cant recall seeing tree's in the area. Summit is looking like its going to be better this year. Oakley (jumps and the steep trail) will definitely prepare you for summit. how did you feel riding the rest of the trails up there, aside to the jumps or drops? comfortable? one of our buddies broke a collar bone last season. wasnt pretty either.

Haha ya I ate it there to, me and skim have video of it. I lost my balance on the landing and rolled a couple times before coming to a complete stop, wasn't nice lol. But yea, I'm just learning the jumps, Oakley is a great place to learn. You should come out with us
agreed... on all counts. i still watch that video and study your jumping technique ;)

but hey! i almost ENDOed twice on the cruiser jump. how i rode away from that, i have no idea. but it takes a crash (or at least in my case, a few close calls) to really want to learn the proper technique.

·
Registered
434 Posts
was that the 2nd jump? i cant recall seeing tree's in the area. Summit is looking like its going to be better this year. Oakley (jumps and the steep trail) will definitely prepare you for summit. how did you feel riding the rest of the trails up there, aside to the jumps or drops? comfortable? one of our buddies broke a collar bone last season. wasnt pretty either.

Yea it was the 2nd one. Lost my balance on landing and went right and right as I was about to endo I hit the tree. Thank god for full face helmet too. I hit the tree with my hands and face. Other than that the trail were good last year. I rode once on my Giant Trance and the time I crashed on a Giant Reign. I was completely comfortable. I would say im at the bottom range of intermediate and had no problems navigating either 2 of the new trails. My buddies were quicker than me though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea it was the 2nd one. Lost my balance on landing and went right and right as I was about to endo I hit the tree. Thank god for full face helmet too. I hit the tree with my hands and face. Other than that the trail were good last year. I rode once on my Giant Trance and the time I crashed on a Giant Reign. I was completely comfortable. I would say im at the bottom range of intermediate and had no problems navigating either 2 of the new trails. My buddies were quicker than me though.
haha, yea, i started on my Norco DH. I picked up a '12 Trance X2, since i thought i would use it more on the local trails (since the DH @ 44lbs is a bit much to lug around, specially uphills)... the first time i took the Trance out to San Juan, i figured the clearance would be nearly the same as the DH rig, boyyy was i wrong. Clipped a rock, over the bars, luckily i missed a tree and a rock garden. slid down a little embankment and a little bush stopped me. walked away only a little sore, thankfully.

But after that, i basically stuck to riding the DH more frequently. Never felt comfortable again on the Trance. Going from 7-8" of travel to 4-5" is a hell of a difference. I'd imagine your Reign is similar to the Trance, in terms of feel? better feeling bike for the rough stuff. (Giants are great bikes btw - still dream of owning a GLORY one day...)

·
Registered
434 Posts
owned the trance. rented the reign to try out a little more travel. iirc it was 160mm vs 120 on the trance x2 i had. no longer have the trance. im in the process of ordering a santa cruz bronson.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice pics Skim! Oakley/Edison is near backyard for me too. Usually hit it on the way back from Whiting-Luge loops, but Berm Run mostly, which is fun as heck (but without the drops of Steeps).

BTW, word is the area will be developed/bulldozed:sad: this summer, so get it while you can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome pics! If I wasn't so chicken s*!?t, I might join you guys lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! I'm still pretty chicken usually hands are all shakey after jumping and running the dragon back trail. EEK!

Nice pics Skim! Oakley/Edison is near backyard for me too. Usually hit it on the way back from Whiting-Luge loops, but Berm Run mostly, which is fun as heck (but without the drops of Steeps).

BTW, word is the area will be developed/bulldozed:sad: this summer, so get it while you can.
Thanks dude! the berm run is pretty damn fun too, we have been trying to go faster and faster ever time we revisit the trails.

and NOOOOO. i hope this isn't true. :( however, i wouldn't be surprised. considering they have been all over the place. Irvine off Jamboree, the new Baker Ranch off Bake... now Oakley.... sigh.

is there anywhere around here, i may be unaware of, that is pretty aggressive for DH riding? i live right near whiting, but don't ride it (too much uphill lol). I have heard 'cactus' is fun, but I've never been to check it out. From my few runs through whiting, it seems pretty mellow. Which is why i loved Oakley so much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts