Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there are quite a few people here that enjoy photography. My wife and I do as well. She does not bike though, and I would love to get some pictures of the great scenery I get to see while biking. My question though is how do you carry a nice camera when biking? I did a couple times before I started riding harder trails and with clipless pedals. I am afraid of falling a crushing our nice camera. Can I get a hard protective case to put it in?

·
Registered
167 Posts
you have two choices (maybe more but that's all I can think of at the moment) - 1) take a higher end point and shoot. I've tried it and it's ok but if you're used to an SLR then the only other viable option is 2) carry an SLR - check out LowePro - they have some camera with lens holsters. I haven't tried it yet but it's next on the list - I'm going to try a 5d mkII with a 24-70mm and a 100 mm Macro in the camel back.

·
Registered
412 Posts
zenmster said:
you have two choices (maybe more but that's all I can think of at the moment) - 1) take a higher end point and shoot. I've tried it and it's ok but if you're used to an SLR then the only other viable option is 2) carry an SLR - check out LowePro - they have some camera with lens holsters. I haven't tried it yet but it's next on the list - I'm going to try a 5d mkII with a 24-70mm and a 100 mm Macro in the camel back.
I didn't want to try to lug our huge DSLR camera around so we bought a nice point and shoot camera. We bought the Canon G11 and it is really nice for a point and shoot. You can still shoot in RAW and adjust shutter speeds and tons more (that are above my photography skills....) I would say the only thing you really lose is being able to zoom very much. You can still zoom with the G11 just not as much. Overall, I would say its a great mountain biking camera.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I didnt' want to do that either and I have a G11 as well. It really depends on what you're happy with wrt image quality. I'm a pro photograph so the G11 was ok but drove me crazy on larger size prints and low light photography.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
i just got a canon sx120 is and cant wait to take it out riding with me. i was using an older elph and cant wait to use some of the features on the new one. my old one had like 3x optical zoom and 7 megapixles and the powershot is 10x and 10 MP.

·
Registered
167 Posts
aye there's the rub ole boy - what happens if you have an image you took with your G11 that you want to make big? Yer screwed or at least not as happy. Been happening to me alot but different strokes for different folks!!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I crash too much to take my DSLR and lense(s). I would love to have the picture quality it would offer me but a crash that could potentially cost me hundreds of dollars...not worth it to me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yea understandable. I've got full on coverage for all my equip. Occupational haz. You should check out Sagemax next time. 100% coverage of accidental breakage etc. Only thing it doesn't cover is loss due to theft (that's where my other insurance comes in).

·
Registered
119 Posts
How about taking it easy when you carry your nice camera. When I have gone out with my SLR I pack it into my camelback and ride more carefully. That limits me on lens choice and I have to fill the camelback with less water, but it works. I have to really want to get a picture for me to take the SLR.

·
Registered
788 Posts
rockyrunner99 said:
I noticed there are quite a few people here that enjoy photography. My wife and I do as well. She does not bike though, and I would love to get some pictures of the great scenery I get to see while biking. My question though is how do you carry a nice camera when biking? I did a couple times before I started riding harder trails and with clipless pedals. I am afraid of falling a crushing our nice camera. Can I get a hard protective case to put it in?
If you're not willing to get a point and shoot...

Don't crash :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
For my DSLR, I use carabiners to clip a holster bag (Lowepro) to the shoulder straps of my Camelbak and then run the chest strap through the belt loop on the holster bag so that it rests on my chest. In this way, the camera is easily accessible and fairly well protected in case of a crash. Also, Clik Elite makes very nice dedicated camera backpacks with provision for a 100 oz. hydration bladder.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
I got a Nikon D5000 recently, paired it with the 35/1.8 DX lens. Takes high quality images, fits in my Camelback. I have found that a backpack/hydration pack is a safe place for a camera while bicycling, although I suppose there is always some risk. I make it a point not to use equipment I can't replace and accept the risk as the cost of taking great photos while mountain biking. I put my camera in a fleece bag to avoid rub marks in the pack, btw. A seatpost pack works the best if not too big as it is easier to access than a pack on my back. I have hopes of finding one that the D5000 with a small prime lens will fit. I've never had an instance of camera damage in a seatpost bag, even when the bike takes off on it's own.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
julioardz said:
How about taking it easy when you carry your nice camera. When I have gone out with my SLR I pack it into my camelback and ride more carefully. That limits me on lens choice and I have to fill the camelback with less water, but it works. I have to really want to get a picture for me to take the SLR.
The places that I have been so far since starting riding last summer that are worth using a DSLR, ...well...they are rough and tough enough there is no taking it easy unless I want to walk a lot. I would be better off leaving the bike home in those cases and putting on my hiking boots instead.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nubster said:
If I were talking about "larger" prints I would be referring to at least 8x10 if not up to 20x24 or even larger.
I have found that my G11 still works great for prints up to 8x10 but when you get to the 11x14 or larger it would be a good idea to have an SLR camera...but I'm not sure how many 20x30 prints my wife would like to see hanging up in the house of me mountain biking....I wouldn't mind but I doubt I can get her to go for it...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I shoot sports for a living I abuse my gear, it gets dropped, crashed and banged around, shipped UPS, crashed in cars, checked by hockey players..... its always the lens mount

I want to suggest removing the lens from the body when riding if you can, I have crashed numerous times with a body and a single lens wrapped in just a lens wrap and T shirt stuffed separately into a Fox backpack and everything is fine..... 9 out of 10 times its the lens mount that gets trashed and no soft case will help when you take a spill, but with the lens and body taken apart they always seem to come through undamaged.

I know It is not really an option for casual shooting because it slows the ride down to much but its a much better way to get your gear out on the trail, we always stop and play on certain features anyway so that has become camera time.

Also older heavy duty cameras can be bought cheap on Ebay, my buddy just picked up a Nikon D2h for $300 specifically for mountain biking... For work (motor sports racing) I picked up a nice condition D200 for $450 to mount as a remote camera in places I would not want to use a more expensive unit.

They are big and heavy but even really old cameras like the D2h and a crap lens will smoke a point and shoot for action and will cost less than many high end ones if you buy used.

Its a pain sometimes but its nice to be able to bring back some shots to remember the ride :thumbsup:

Snowshoe and a local spot

1 - 20 of 69 Posts