Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Jason
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you into photogrpahy that carry your slr on rides, how do you carry the camera? I have so much money into my gear that I am very afraid of doing damage to something. Mostly the camera body itself. Any pointers would be appreciated. Sometimes carrying a point and shoot just doesn't cut it for me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tagging along. I'd like info on this too.

I've got a nicely padded camera bag backpack but it's a bit cumbersome to ride with.

·
Jason
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's my problem too. But. the bike in question is mostly a road bike. It's an 06 Mongoose Pro Alta that I put 100 p.s.i. Kenda Kwest slicks on. I ride mostly hard pack dirt roads with it at only moderate speeds. Usually not more than 10-11 m.p.h. average. As a hobby photographer it would be nice to be able to take some gear with me on these ride. Maybe it would be better to leave the slr at home and take my Sony H2. I would like to figure something out though.

·
Registered
552 Posts

I've used my Lowepro 'Orion Trekker II' pack to carry my DSLR. I'm sure there are better packs for carrying an SLR while on the trail, but this one has worked pretty well. Here is the pack. I assume it is still available; I got mine several years ago.

That said, I rarely carry my DSLR while riding. The cheaper (and less likely to get damaged) option I chose was to get a good point and shoot. It does pretty well:

·
Mal Ad Osteo
200 Posts
I wouldn't unless the trail was very easy, even then, one tumble and you could be out a couple grand. Might as well just carry a cheapie with you. Not to mention the weight you'd have to lug around.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
I use this:
http://www.mountainsmith.com/produc...tegoryId=13&subCategoryId=13&subCategory2Id=0

Along with this (for extra lenses):
http://www.mountainsmith.com/produc...tegoryId=13&subCategoryId=29&subCategory2Id=0

I haven't biked with it yet, mainly due to the pure weight of the camera not being very fun and the lack of good attachment points on my (older) camelbak. I hike and travel with it all the time though. The cases, especially the quickfire are extremely versatile and allow me to carry them as stand alones (shoulder strap), attached to a pack waistbelt (sliding pocket fits over the belt), or attached to the pack any number of other ways (lots of loops and rings for 'biners). Both are quite well padded (considering what they are) and well built.

Camera has a "no questions asked" insurance policy on it. I try not to, but it doesn't really matter if I smash it to bits.

·
Rip Van Winkle
310 Posts
I have some good bags, but nothing really works when on a bike like a purpose built bag like lowepro. I towel and a backpack is your best bet otherwise. Trim down your package, 1 lens and try and get a mono pod. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If I bring my SLR you will find me riding nice and slow. I don't want to risk breaking it or my lenses, they're just too fragile and expensive. I usually just bring my P&S riding. It's disappointing when I find a nice shot, but it's even more disappointing to crack a several hundred dollar lens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use a Lowepro 200AW. It's a medium sized bag with enough room for a DSLR body with medium length lens attached, 2 or 3 more lens, and 1 or 2 flashes. Plus there is a little pocket that you can cram a packable rain jacket into. Best part, the bag has a stowable built in rain cover. It's not the ideal bag, but it does a pretty good job.

Kris

·
Jason
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will definitely look into the lowpro bags.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used Dakine Mission and sequence bags for riding (or hiking) with my gear. They both are much better suited then the LowePro Mini trekker I also have.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Here's my setup.
Tamrac 5683 bag. (good for 3" lens)
2 carabiners

Put a carabiner on each shoulder strap, then hang the bag from them.
It's perfectly placed for easy access. I can stop and have the camera ready to go in just a few seconds.

I recently spent a few days in Whistler and rode everything there wearing it. It never gets in the way of my vision, or gets hung up on the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
My DSLR came from a pawn shop, Rebel XT with 3 lenses and a bag for $300 a couple years ago. I just use the waist strap for the bag and have it hanging in front of me. Probably not something that would work for me if I was a big DH rider, but it works for my more XC and AM style riding. Plus it isn't $5k worth of equipment to worry about.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use a Ortleib waterproof chest pouch for the body and attached lens (allows quick access) and various backpacks like a Kinesis Journeyman or a Deuter 30 litre pack.

Typical load would be: Pocketwizards x 2, 10.5mm fisheye, 85mm f1.8, two flashes, tripod, SLR and a ultrawide attached.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Handlebar bag

I've been quite satisfied with a pocket camera for most of my rides. A small camera is nice, since with a suitable camera case, jersey pocket or frame top bag it is possible to take out the camera, use it and put it back with one hand while riding unless the trail is too technical. Lately I've started thinking about taking a DSLR with me. Using a backpack this is not a problem, since it fits in a larger backpack without problems, but when riding the Fargo I don't use a backpack. The DSLR and some lenses fit nicely into the frame pack, but it is rather slow and cumbersome to get it out, at least if the frame pack is full. The Topeak BarPack handlebar bag looks interesting. Has anybody used it or anything similar?

The size would be ok and it doesn't weigh much, but is it strong enough for offroad use? A DSLR is not that light.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.