Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Any tips on how to photograph bikes that are to be sold via emails/online? Maybe thoughts on background/lighting/presentation? I own a digital camera and really seem to suck at taking decent pictures.

Thanks in advance.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
A nice white backdrop always helps.

Of course, always clean it up real well first and stuff.

It's a good idea to stress things about it such as condition in the ad, assuming you have one.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
Close-ups of special features or minor wear-and-tear you want the buyer to be aware of are nice, but only if you can get them in focus. Find out how to use your camera's close-up mode - most of them have one. It might also be called "Macro" mode. Look in your user manual if you can't figure it out on the camera itself.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
When I'm buying, I want close ups of any problem areas and or damages, in addition to general shots.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
I like to shoot bikes in the yard, on lawn, with lots of empty space in the background. That way, hopefully, the background will be out of focus. I don't like flash and I don't like anything that looks too studio. Anyway, that's how I shoot them when I'm selling them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate all of your responses.

I tried putting the bikes up against a garage door in kind of shady light and the pictures just weren't that exciting or clear. I am now much more informed thanks to you all.

·
sh*t eater
217 Posts
Take more pictures than you think necessary. I've actually gotten into trouble with my bikes looking better in the pictures than they do in real life :eekster: One of my recent bikes I salvaged and sold off for reference. That's my neighbor's garage and it is my goto spot for auction photos.

·
sh*t eater
217 Posts
lpranal said:
Nice shots, man... quick question, do you burn in your edges by hand in photoshop? are you shooting on film? do you use a plugin? Inquiring minds!
I use a photoshop action that I made up. Basically make a new layer, use border selection, feather that selection, use the paint bucket to fill, overlay in blending options, then I do a copy of that layer and another overlay blend on that.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
berrywise said:
:cool: Slow day on the internet, felt like a good reason to surf mtbr.com a bit.

Slow days lead to me taking bike prono for the new bike I'm building.

Nice. I'm building a new ride this week too. but Mister CK does not build a headset for my new steed. Maybe someday he will.

Pivot Mach 5

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.