Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love the Fat Pofahl! Have been following your blog on the bike and will have to swing down to Fairbault to check your shop out sometime. Just went Fat myslf a few weeks ago and am pissed I am stuck in Vegas when there is snow in Minnesota :) Beautiful bike!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Knik Glacier Ride 2

I enjoyed this ride last Sunday so I had to take my son out yesterday. It's a 20 mile round trip. The ride to and from would get old after a few rides but I don't think I could ever get tired of exploring the lake.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
How do you know when the ice is thick enough - send out a fatbike noobie?

·
It aint gonna ride itself
585 Posts
Velobike said:
How do you know when the ice is thick enough - send out a fatbike noobie?
No, you look to see whether there are any ice fishers out on it. Also, conveniently, the edges melt first. So if you can't get onto the ice without getting your feet wet, you'd best stay off altogether. :eekster:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I ran into Chris Herting of 3D Racing today and took some photos of his new fat bike and thought you guys might enjoy. Notice the elevated chain stays - Chris had been running belt drive singlespeed prior to putting on the gears for this ride in Durango today. He said it weighed in at 32-lbs and had been a little under 31 with the belt drive SS.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Unusual to see an elevated chainstay fatbike.

Interesting dropout detail.

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
^ I think there's some logic to it. If you wanted short chainstays, there's less material to fit between the tire and chainrings.

After my first snow season on fat tires though, I think I'd want some longer chainstays.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Elevated chainstays gets around the problem of the chainstays flaring out in the way of the chainring. Neat solution.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Velobike said:
Elevated chainstays gets around the problem of the chainstays flaring out in the way of the chainring. Neat solution.
Chris said he elevated the chain stays so he could run belt drive much easier. Photo of his bike with belt drive here. I'm sure though he had several reasons for doing so. There are some other tricks on the frame he pointed out to me that I'd probably butcher trying to relate to here, so I'll keep quiet. But he did say he dropped the bike off recently off at Mountain Bike Action and they will do an article on it. Chris is one of the founders of Yeti, and he's done this for so long that today he's more artist than mass production oriented when it come to frame building. Every one of his bikes is really impressive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.