Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain, sleet, snow, thundersnow, and yes, thumpin' bluebird have all made appearances this week.

When your choice is to get out briefly regardless of weather, or not at all, well, what choice is there...?

But where, you ask, are the rainy day shots?

Right here:

Lace wheels while the sun's not shining, I always say....

Good weekend,

MC

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Group Fixie ride at Schaeffer Farms in Merryland. Lots of crashing. Lots of laughing. Always nice to see what can be done when forced to pedal.

pics by denisVTT and dylan(?)

·
Professional Crastinator
6,355 Posts
8 out of 10 riders prefer 29ers...:D

Anna Michener Cabin, PA

Awesome long weekend of riding - had tons of fun on Abby Trail and Yellow Hill. :thumbsup:
(too busy riding to snap any pix, tho)

btw - FYI - the first ~1000 yds. of Grave Ridge Trail has been bulldozed by the timber company, but the rest of it is still there for now. However, the timber sale boundary sign is at the far end of the trail, so go ride it before something worse happens to it.

Here's our single 26er holdout. He's very attached to that bike with all the work he's done keeping it going. He's out of spare frame/suspension parts, though, so it's only a matter of time...

-F

·
A bike brought me here!
326 Posts
Nice stuff!

Here in "Da U.P. of Michigan" looks like studded tire season real soon! :madmax:

I'll be riding in my imagination......

poikaa

Attachments

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Pisgah Double Dare -Halloween

This was the return of Double Dare after taking a year off. This time it was a "Permitted and Legal Race Event" with the Forest Service. What is Double Dare? In Year's past it had no entry fees... no payouts or prizes; just a gathering of friends riding for two days all for braggin' rights! It's two person teams would find and ride to 10 checkpoints (CP) scattered throughout Pisgah National Forest. some checkpoints are at trail intersection, overlooks, trailsigns and landmarks. each team has a passport and are required to take a photo at each of the listed CPs. There is no suggested route, that is for the teams to decide. A bad choice of trail(s) or direction could cause you to loose a couple hours. Hiking trails, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and boundary hwys (280 & 215) are all off limits. Be back at the before midnight or you're out.

DAY 1
Teams leave at Noon Saturday and have to be back at the campground at midnight or risk DQ'd (disqualified) . There are 10 CP's total and one of those is a Mandatory... usually the most grueling spot in the forest and everyone has to hit it... How many checkpoints you get beyond the mandatory is completely up to you and your team-mate. At Midnight the was a "Special Test" Slow Race which the slowest rider w/o trackstanding or putting a foot down received an additional Checkpoint all other participants received a 1/2 checkpoint. Wear a costume while riding for a 1/2 CP only a handful did that.
this is just a few of the Images of Day 1.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
up 5:30AM after staying up till 2 :skep:

DAY 2

Do it all over again 6AM the next morning with 10 more Checkpoints to locate and take a photo of each of those spots. Starting with a TimeTrail (for time bonuses) Starting from Cove Creek to the Top of Butter Gap. from there teams were given the Day's Passports and had to be back at the campground by the 6PM cutoff. Top of Farlow Gap was the Mandatory CP with a Special Test at the top... Shoot the Pumkin with a Slingshot ( 2 tries) or both teammates have to eat a pickled egg. Most went for the Slingshot (and Failed) success added another 1/2 CP to the total.

what does it take to win? Try 153 miles in 22 hours. which is fuggin' hardcore!

Congrats to
Wes D (King of Pisgah) & Geoff Bergmark 1st w/ 20.5 CPs
2nd Clay and Zach 19 CPs
3rd Adam & Mark 19 CPs

Sunrise at Farlow Gap

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
I can only imagine what TD is saying in that picture AND how any of the locals looked at him with his huntin' hat on!

Great pics Brad! Wish I could've been there again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fleas said:
9 out of 10 riders prefer 29ers...:D

Anna Michener Cabin, PA

Awesome long weekend of riding - had tons of fun on Abby Trail and Yellow Hill. :thumbsup:
(too busy riding to snap any pix, tho)

btw - FYI - the first ~1000 yds. of Grave Ridge Trail has been bulldozed by the timber company, but the rest of it is still there for now. However, the timber sale boundary sign is at the far end of the trail, so go ride it before something worse happens to it.

Here's our single 26er holdout. He's very attached to that bike with all the work he's done keeping it going. He's out of spare frame/suspension parts, though, so it's only a matter of time...

-F
Nice pics Fleas....is that the cabin in Michaux?>>Pop a wheelie rig upfront:thumbsup:

·
Professional Crastinator
6,355 Posts
ac33 said:
>>Pop a wheelie rig upfront:thumbsup:
Yup!

No 2 mfr's alike in that bunch. ...and plenty of steel frames.

Saturday's ride, led by Donna and Ruth, was one of my best riding days ever. It was a great route (28 miles for me, near 40 for them riding + an extra 800 vert. to meet up with us), and I had my mojo on for all the rocks - nary a dab all day and cleaned every climb!
And it didn't rain this year!

-F

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
10-25-10 Total hip replacement
10-25-10 Walked 300' in hospital
10-26-10 Left the hospital after one night's stay and a few laps around the floor
10-27-10 Walked 1 mile with a cane...kept doing it every day
11-2-10 Walked 1.7 miles with a cane to vote
11-3-10 Walked 2 miles with a cane
11-4-10 Walked 1 mile without a cane, did a pilates mat workout, pumped the legs on the Bowflex, RODE MY 29er

My neighbor took the biking photo - as I launched off I promised her I'd stay on the streets (notice Keens on feet). But the lure of the dirt was too much. My Keens, new hip, and I put in about 5 miles on Desert Classic, the easy trail at South Mountain in my back yard. What a glorious feeling after being off the bike for a few months due to hip pain!!! Phx weather couldn't be better right now - I'm going biking this weekend!!

I had my surgical follow-up today and I hugged my doctor :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
DurtGurl said:
10-25-10 Total hip replacement

blah blah blah...voted:thumbsup:

11-4-10 RODE MY 29er
WOW! Talk about a busy 10 days! Props to you:thumbsup:

Drs/surgeons appreciate hugs. My Dr. and surgeon got HUGE hugs after the colon swap that gave me a whole new lease on life:yesnod: I'll never be the athlete I used to be but at least I can be active again and am drug free:D

·
Spud State Rider
630 Posts
Great pics! :thumbsup:

I HAD to take the day off in order to get a ride in and some shots to share. :D

Heading out early this morning along the Snake River.......

Nice color along the route......

Riding the Selma today....

Time to climb.........

looking back......

Gravel grinding up top.......

My route up down below.......

Heading back down to the river.....

Great ride........

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Nice shots!!!!!

I sure miss that area. I lived in Pullman for 4 years and that's when I found true love with riding a bike off road. I used to leave the town proper and ride on gravel roads and end up in tiny towns of like 100 people in which the church was also the school and main social center, usually located on a hill above the town.

BTW... Your bike could give one a chub! The pics as well!

db

1 - 20 of 36 Posts