Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday, I decided to do an "Epic" ride before the weather gets too hot. I started out in Anthem and rode the Maricopa Trail to the Cave Creek trail system and then dropped down into North Scottsdale. I got onto some pavement at that point and rode down to the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. I then rode the Gateway Loop Trail. 47.8 miles in total. It was the perfect day.

I also encountered my first snake and it was quite unpleasant. I was coming down Quartz trail in the Cave Creek Trail system, probably going about 15 mph. I rounded a turn and suddenly heard a tremendous hiss and snap right below my feet. Fortunately, I was going fast enough I just rode right through it but I stopped and looked back up the trail and, sure enough, there was a rattler right across the trail, still perched up in attack mode and looking straight at me. I snapped a photo (the 3rd photo - you can see the snake perched up although he blends in pretty well with the trail) but obviously didn't want to get too close. Man, that was a close one. I'm guessing that he may have actually bit at me because I rode almost right over the top of him. Mr. snake's bite was a miss this time though. :thumbsup:

·
DFMBA.org
1,933 Posts
Great photos and we're glad you didn't get hit. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled next time I hit Slate/Quartz/GJ, or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I got out of my car to investigate, and the snake didn't move a muscle, so I thought it was dead. I walked all around the snake, and it didn't move. Since the snake wasn't coiled up, I knew it couldn't strike me even if it was alive. Then I walked around to its tail end, and I stood 3 feet from it's tail end for about 5 seconds. Then in the blink of an eye the rattlesnake lifted the front half of its body and snapped it towards me. I jumped about 4 feet in the air backwards. In a split second, that snake went from completely motionless with its head pointing away from me, to coiled up and ready to strike with it's head 3 feet from my shins. Then the snake quickly moved towards me, but at an angle, while keeping the front half of its body coiled, and slithered off the road. If that snake had wanted to, it could have easily bitten me. I've never seen anything move so fast! I will never get within 10 feet of a rattlesnake again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yikes with that first close call!! I always get paranoid about riding this time of year, it always takes away from somewhat of the enjoyment for me, as I'm trying to pay to much attention to try and look out for a snake to avoid, as I frequently ride alone..

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.