Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I went to the Southwest with my wife and a bunch of friends to go to the Single Speed World Championships in Durango. We landed in ABQ, then drove up to Santa Fe.

Wednesday, my buds and I did the Atalaya and Dale Ball trails right outside of town. We got really lost and did a little bit of hiking. RiderX, the best rider amongst us, rode down this section (and crashed at the bottom), so the rest of us walked:

Thursday, the owner of Mellow Velo Bikes shuttled all of us to the top of Big Tesuque. Aspen air smells so fresh:

Friday, we did a ride outside of Durango in Hermosa Creek. The day started off sunny and great, but about 10 minutes after passing the trailhead, the skies opened up on us. We were pelted with small hail, and most of us didn't have the proper clothing to finish the ride so we were shivering and soaked to the bone. It was miserable as we cowered under the trees and it didn't look like it would let up, so we decided to bail and climb back up to the start:

Saturday was the SSWC in Durango. My teammates and I had a grand ol' time:

Sunday, we took the gals that didn't do the race back to the course to try some of the trails. I think this one is called Horse Gulch. So many places to catch air on the way down:

Monday, we were back in Maryland. The Southwest rips!

(Flickr set of our trip.)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Drevil said:
Last week I went to the Southwest with my wife and a bunch of friends to go to the Single Speed World Championships in Durango. We landed in ABQ, then drove up to Santa Fe.

Wednesday, my buds and I did the Atalaya and Dale Ball trails right outside of town.

Friday, we did a ride outside of Durango in Hermosa Creek.

I think this one is called Horse Gulch:. The Southwest rips!
All that is terrain that I know well. Atalaya to Dale Ball South to Dorothy Stewart is one of my favorite loops, but the Gulch now is my backyard. Thanks to the worlds I got new trail a few blocks from my home too.

I climbed up Atalaya one year well over 30 times...and I lived 70-miles away from it at the time. The allure of that climb kept calling me back. Glad you enjoyed the dirt down here. Durango is most definately on the radar, but Fanta Se is a bit off of it, which is surprising - the riding there is world class. Next time try out Chamisa to Sidewinder.......

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
teamdicky said:
Damn Drevil. Looks like you guys managed to have a good time.
I thought Durango sucked.
Well.... I can say that now from the comfort of a soft cushy chair. The backed up hike-a-bikes were not "totally awesome" at the time. Plus, were you actually trying to do well? If so, that's the problem ;)

·
Category Winner
6,096 Posts
Drevil said:
Well.... I can say that now from the comfort of a soft cushy chair. The backed up hike-a-bikes were not "totally awesome" at the time. Plus, were you actually trying to do well? If so, that's the problem ;)
Actually I loved Durango.
I sucked.

Next time I need to stay off the dance floor till after the race.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Some of those pics make me very jealous. But had a good time on my smooth Ks ride anyways.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts