Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I don't have the equipment of pros,all I had is a Panasonic Lumix camera. We have a Nikon D40X but bringing it around is a pain, not to mention its my sister's. I want to ride.

A friend told me a so-so pic can turn quite well with some editing.

I decided tweak this pic. This is me, BTW.

he told me to snip off the top and the bottom to get a "speed" look. I tried it out:

This is the first time I tried it, so suggestions are welcome.

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
A pretty quick + amateur effort by my own standards but its getting late over here, Cropped Framed fade, played with levels, enhanced motion blur and brought out the colour of the rider / bike etc. All personal preference IMO. You could work on it for alot longer, but to be fair most of the work needs to be done on the camera itself ie. a decent photo (And i'm not slagging your pic) i just mean a better camera, maybe a slight better technique (Follow the rider not the background) would make a better starting point, better colour etc. Framing in post-production is not an issue!

Hope this helps!

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, the camera is the weakest link, I get things right with the proper equipment, but you can't have them all every time you ride, right?

Lugging a DSLR is a pain, and I want to ride.

OG and net wurker, did you use Photoshop?

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
Yeah Photoshop CS3! I'm a designer / photographer so use it everyday. This was a pretty quick effort (I wouldn't go charging for this service ....!!)
Like i said, you could get much better results with a larger picture file, get more detail out. I think the most important thing here is to follow the rider as best as possible, to get a clear focus on him, and blur the background, thats the best way to make it look fast, especially when using a limited shutter speed etc on a compact camera.

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I try to follow the rider as long as possible as they ride, then click at say, a jump. I get it right, but I also get it wrong. Its all about timing, I guess.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,340 Posts
suicidebomber said:
OG and net wurker, did you use Photoshop?
Yes. Select just the bike/rider. Invert the selection, so now only the background stuff is selected. Apply a blur effect. Then, as previously mentioned, use any of the canned filters in PS for different effects.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I honestly don't mean any offence by this, but it helps if the rider/bike are in a position that suggests that they were going fast. In this shot, the rider/bike/ground form a fairly clumsy portrait. I don't know if the rider is landing a jump and that dark area behind/under the rear wheel is actually further back in the scene, or if the back wheel has just rolled over a root/log - as it appears - but nothing about the picture's subject (ie the bike/rider) says 'speed'. The rider's position on the bike is also awkward relative to the position of the bike itself, and also together, with the ground. Perhaps if somebody could PS the shadow out from between the rear tyre and that root/bump, then it may alter this impression. On first impressions, I wouldn't say that the camera is the weakest link.

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve, the photo was me landing a jump, I tried tweaking it by snipping off the top and the bottom so that the ground was "gone".

I don't know how to Photoshop yet, so I did some cropping for starters.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
OK, then here's my first attempt at doctoring the shot - taking the shadow from the rear wheel and also removing the grass which comes up in front of the tyre, giving (kind of) the overall impression that the bike is still off the ground.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Here's what you do.

You take the Nikon D40x out when you want to shoot, and you ride VERY carefully. Put the camera in a camera bag and put that bag into a big soft backpack.

Then what you do is you get a tri-pod, actually, two of them.

You pick up two remote flashes. SB-600's should do the trick. I believe that the D40x has the ability to remotely activate exterior flashes.

Then, you set up one flash to the left of where you are looking to shoot, and one to the right. Make sure to set the timing properly. Then snap away.

This will get natural "exterior" light on the object you're shooting, without washing them out with the standard flash on top of your camera.

P.S. I made that sound a lot easier and less expensive than it is. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.