Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a couple on the trail on the last ride so it is time. They are out.

I would be very careful about taking breaks on the trail and sitting on rock outcroppings. They might be sunning themselves right there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yup. But that's another issue. The state of care.
I work at a hospital and can confirm. In CA a rattlesnake bite will cost you $100s of thousands of dollars. If you know how they make Antivenon you will kind of see why a dose cost $50K+ and you'll need multiple doses depending on variables.

Don't mess with snakes, especially if you make decent money and have no insurance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Saw a 4 foot adult rattler in Lime Ridge last weekend. Was a hot day so was focused on watching the trail but still didn't see it until I was 5 feet away from it and barely had time to get to the other side of the fire road to pass it.

It was very angry and coiled up quickly and shook its tail. Definitely made the rest of the ride a bit stressful.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
I work at a hospital and can confirm. In CA a rattlesnake bite will cost you $100s of thousands of dollars. If you know how they make Antivenon you will kind of see why a dose cost $50K+ and you'll need multiple doses depending on variables.

Don't mess with snakes, especially if you make decent money and have no insurance.
Not to derail the conversation, but the dose cost about $3k. The hospital charges $35K+ per dose.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I hate snakes.
Probably the only animal that lives in the US that I’m irrationally afraid of.

Coincidence that I always hum or whistle the Indiana Jones theme song... (If you’ve even ridden with me once, you’ll probably know this. I haven’t watched that movie in many many years, I have no idea why, but it always comes out when climbing).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.