Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all relics. Let's see some of those classic photos!

How old? At least 5 years old, I'd say. If they were taken with a digital camera, that's not old enough.

So get those prints out and scan them. Or if you're lazy like me, just take a photo of the print with your digital camera. Just put it in macro mode and hold her steady.

Photos:
1) My first dream bike, Cannondale M700 - 1996 - Things to note are the too small frame and the 140mm stem with Scott handlebar. Look at that cool Topline SL cranks with Sampson bb. Carmichael pulleys and Sram XRay finish off the package. Man, I wrapped the chainstay with inner tube. I was anal back then too.

2) The bike that got me going was the Manitou HT - 1997 - Avid tri-align brakes and levers. White Industries hubs... yeah! Check out the Performance clothing since I had to pay for bike clothes back then :)

3) Sizzler Race - 1997

4) Treez and Breeze Race - 1998

fc

Attachments

·
enter and win
727 Posts
nice! I raced at both those pictured races. Thanks for the memories. All those flat bars are crackin my ish up!

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
I like the shoe selection back in the day. Hiking boots or Vans. total polar opposites. I liked the vans because you could grip the pedals with your toes.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
funny......I have those pictures too. just dont know where they went.

Threaded Yellow Quadra 21R, STX-RC?????
Blue Annodized chain tensioner that grab on to the chain stay.
Annodized purple bar ends from Onza. Oh yeah, toe clips and straps

Mountain bike used to be so simple before it evolved to what it is today. I used to be able to take the entire bike apart and put it back together in like 2 hours or less.

·
Registered
780 Posts
First Mountain Bike Race 1994

Started fast out of the gate probably in first place or so - finished close to last when I realized you can't start that fast and blew up.

Please also note several things in the last picture.

#1 SUPER stylish yellow too tight jersey
#2 Totally 80's climbing bars
#3 Should you really run a mud guard in a race? no.

Here is a more recent pic for comparison

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
crazy :\ I looked at a pic of me on the roots at FDLT, and while there are differences, they looked to me (my untrained eye) like they could have been from trail work over time. I like sweetwater - only ridden it twice, but it's a lot of fun.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
im not as old as the rest of the guys on here ... these were taken in 2002 on my first fs bike

butcher ranch 1st creek crossing

my 91 civic with 98 klein mantra with the sierra buttes in the background

at the tamarack connection trail trailhead

next time im at my parents house ill see if i can find any earlier pictures ... might have some from when i was about 10 riding a schwinn sideweinder 24 around in alston park in napa.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Don't have too many of my old school photos around (I'd have to dig through a bunch of boxes).

But here is one of my oldest and favorites. I'm guessing this was taken around 1990-1. Things to note, the helmets V1-Pro w/extra cooling vent behind the Bell insignia, cool bike, and the sweet Bolle glasses my brothers got.

Of course 5 minutes later my brother crashed, no pictures from there on out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Careful

francois said:
Calling all relics. fc
Careful FC, I resemble that remark!
Fortunately no photographic evidence of the 1988 Diamondback EX/hiking short/t-shirt epoch exists, nor my Yeti Ultimate [w/white Onza Pocupine tires], Rockshox RS1, Slingshot, or Alpinestar confetti shoe infatuations.
Here's one I'll "fess" up to though:
2003 Moots Mootaneer midway another horsewhipping on the Crandell Peak trail [ I believe it's known as "Pinball" to you newcomers]. the bike in the foreground is friend's Ellsworth Id.
I had the Mootaneer set up with a RS Psylo Race, Hope Mini brakes, Raceface Turbines, 8sp Suntour thumbies and XTR cogs and derailleurs, Conti Survival and Explorer Pro tires. Incredible workmanship, but not Moots best design.

Attachments

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
These pictures make me want to shoot film. I have a Yashica T4 super that still works, maybe I'll fire it up this weekend.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts