Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Photo Assignment: Best Tire for 2011!

14K views 121 replies 42 participants last post by  Gary H 
#1 ·
What's the best tire for 2011? Post pics!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
redmr2_man said:
all this talk of the bronson from wtb makes me wanna try one, but it's been like 6-8 months of 'talk'. I wanna ride the damn tire!
Latest QBP ship quote is Feb. 11th, 2011. I dropped a line to 'freind' at WTB to see if I can get a better idea...I'll update here if I find out anything otherwise.

Come on already. I'm such a tire whore....love trying new rubber. Although I think the Bronson will be a far better intermediate to hard terrain tire and not so great of a winter nocal mud tire.

#11 ·
I don't know about best but I will say pretty damn good.
I am one of the few who does not run WTB tires here in MV.
Home of WTB no less.
I like most of their other products but their tires and I have just not gotten along.
Until now.
These babys ROK!
Guys at the LBS talked me into them and so far very impressed.
The bike these are on are a Turner Sixpack and I usually don't run anything smaller than a 2.2 or 2.3.
Normally a bigger tire up front and smaller in the rear but these 2.1's are on the front and rear and are amazing.
I first had the 2.3 version up front and the 2.1 rear but have switched to 2.1's front and back.
They mount really easily on my fussy rims, Mavic 819's, with a floorpump no less!, they stick like GLUE in almost all the wacky, wet/dry conditions we've been having lately, and the farther you lean the more they stick. Very confidence inspiring.
They are very grippy, they roll fast, they don't seem to pack mud in the knobs,they slip out of mud and gunk like any other tire but for 2.1's they stuck in there pretty good. And of course, last but not least, they are expensive.
Most good tires are.
Most WTB tires have that gap between the outside knobs and the first inner knobs and when and leaning into turns they would slip out before grabbing, there designed that way, but that made me feel like I was losin it and sometimes I did trying to push the tire to hard.
WTB knew this and addressed the issue , less space between rows, bigger outside knobs, tech talk add infinitum blah blah blah, but these tires seem to act much different, specially at speed.
You can talk all you want about a tire, it's this or that, DNA, bead, whatever, what really matters though is feel.
I try out many, many tires, tubeless and tubed, and these are noticeably different.
They feel fast and grippy on roots, rocks,ST and fire road.
Only question left is, how long will they last?.....
One last thing, you must use some type of sealant, Stans, Green goo, whatever, or they will not stay inflated on your rims. At least on mine.
WTB recommends this anyway.
Also when I was at my LBS last week the WTB rep was there and mentioned the Bronson would be coming out around first week of February.
He said it probably would be a better tire in dry conditions rather than wet. FYI
We shall see.
Did I forget anything?
Probably said too much. :p
Cheers and good luck in your quest for the perfect tire.
G

Attachments

#15 ·
Anyone have a report on the Tioga Psycho Genius that is new for this year? I am thinking of getting some in the 2.1 size to do some XC racing on. I have been riding the Bontragger XC Jones tubeless ready in 2.1 to race and 2.35 for trail riding, but they don't make that model anymore.

#16 ·
I'm running a Weirwolf 2.3 TCS up front and a Wolverine 2.2 TCS out back. So far this is my favorite setup, they're heavy but rolls fast and grips and drifts very nicely. Gives a lot of feedback before letting go and when it does let go its predictable. I'm sure there are tires that have more max grip but these tires feel the fastest and don't give up much grip to get there.

#17 ·
JMac47 said:

Search the booths there......:D
The WTB booth has been at the last 5 or 10 functions and they always have it out. So you're saying I should smash and grab? nice!

Yody said:
I'm running a Weirwolf 2.3 TCS up front and a Wolverine 2.2 TCS out back. So far this is my favorite setup, they're heavy but rolls fast and grips and drifts very nicely. Gives a lot of feedback before letting go and when it does let go its predictable. I'm sure there are tires that have more max grip but these tires feel the fastest and don't give up much grip to get there.
yeah i run the 2.3 tcs weir on one bike up front, with a mutano 2.25 rear. Then a 2.1 tcs weir / 2.0 kenda karma or 2.1 maxxis highroller rear on the hardtail. It's heavier than it was supposed to be, but it just works so damn well! I wish the 2.3 was conti rq/tk sized though, it is a little small.

#18 ·
Entrenador said:
I too am a tire whore. I have far too many here.

That said, anyone ridden the Slant Six yet? Thinking it might make a good XC rear tire 'round here -- just like the other 8 I have in the closet. :rolleyes:
I have it! :)

I had to take it off after 1 ride...It is just too wet and sloppy for that tire...What can I say...the tire is faaaaast! I like it....but if it were a little bit dryer :thumbsup:

For me the best KENDA tire is the Excavator! Blows the Nevegals and Maxxis highrollers out of the water! they are awesome!

#19 ·
No Adrian

redmr2_man said:
So you're saying I should smash and grab? nice!
Don't test your karma. Need I remind you of your recent good deed?:confused:

Had not really read that thread pat the first couple posts til recently.
Rather convoluted until the end (well aren't most posts??;) ). Good on you. :thumbsup:

As for Bronson's tires one of the kids at lbs had got ahold of a pair in November "somehow" and raves on them. Has them on an SX Trail. Little more bike then I ride but the tread pattern looks pretty versatile. Think I'll wait for the season change an pull out my trusty Wolverine/WW LT setup.

#20 ·
Bronson for some reason doesn't appeal to me, just based on the looks ( I know thats silly, need to ride it) The knobs just don't look very supported and I don't think they wiill last long with the 50A durometer outside rubber. I know my Mutano 2.2 TCS's were breaking knobs off left and right, the Bronson knobs look even more unsupported and taller. Judging it just based on looks, it seems as if they wanted a non-drifty tire in their line up for people who don't like the more advanced drifty, flexy knob feel that comes on some of their other tires. All a guess though, the 2.3 does look pretty big for people who like the high volume.

#22 ·
Yody said:
I'm staying away from anything with TCS written on it. They are too darn heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.