Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when my phone fell in a garden of poison oak on a steep embankment, the question was... is it time for a new phone? Wearing shorts and sleeveless, my one good decision yesterday was to go home and regroup.

Called a few friends and a retrieval first thing in the AM was in order. Phone was dead with no signal and I only had a rough idea of where it landed. It's an iphone X so it's still so new to give up on. It was worth an honest effort.

Suited up and headed out. A climbing rope was called for and full coverage was the attire. Buddy Travis set me up and down the hill I went. The poison oak got thicker and thicker as I descended. I passed the dead phone since the black phone face rested against a big black rock. I crisscrossed for about 30 minutes and at the last gasps, found it!!! No battery since it was running a GPS program at the time.

Quarantined all the clothing in a plastic bag and backpack and then hey.... went out for a ride.

On to the next adventure. Anybody give up on their fallen phone?
Now i wait for the evil rash...

protection is key

If I'm not back in 30, just pull the rope with all ye got.

easy ride they said...

Camouflaged phone found!!!

What the heck. Let's ride.

Attachments

·
dw22107
174 Posts
My friends and I had a yearly ritual. Ride up to Rock City with backpack full of beer and watch fire works on 4th july. Ranger came one night chased us. My friend went running or riding. Ranger chased him. found him hiding in posion oak. He had a very bad case, but we chuckled even more because the ranger must have gotten it just as bad and he had to go back for safety supplies hidden te next day. Ranger was so pissed he took off his front wheel to prevent him from fleeing. Ticket was 40 hours of cleaning toilets at Morro Bay State Beach while going to Cal Poly. Mid 1990's.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friends and I had a yearly ritual. Ride up to Rock City with backpack full of beer and watch fire works on 4th july. Ranger came one night chased us. My friend went running or riding. Ranger chased him. found him hiding in posion oak. He had a very bad case, but we chuckled even more because the ranger must have gotten it just as bad and he had to go back for safety supplies hidden te next day. Ranger was so pissed he took off his front wheel to prevent him from fleeing. Ticket was 40 hours of cleaning toilets at Morro Bay State Beach while going to Cal Poly. Mid 1990's.
Nice story

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When the phone first fell, I almost went down after it. Wearing shorts and t-shirt and no way back up, that would have been bad

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
So when my phone fell in a garden of poison oak on a steep embankment, the question was... is it time for a new phone? Wearing shorts and sleeveless, my one good decision yesterday was to go home and regroup.

Called a few friends and a retrieval first thing in the AM was in order. Phone was dead with no signal and I only had a rough idea of where it landed. It's an iphone X so it's still so new to give up on. It was worth an honest effort.

Suited up and headed out. A climbing rope was called for and full coverage was the attire. Buddy Travis set me up and down the hill I went. The poison oak got thicker and thicker as I descended. I passed the dead phone since the black phone face rested against a big black rock. I crisscrossed for about 30 minutes and at the last gasps, found it!!! No battery since it was running a GPS program at the time.

Quarantined all the clothing in a plastic bag and backpack and then hey.... went out for a ride.

On to the next adventure. Anybody give up on their fallen phone?
Now i wait for the evil rash...

protection is key

If I'm not back in 30, just pull the rope with all ye got.

easy ride they said...

Camouflaged phone found!!!

What the heck. Let's ride.

Technical gear FTW. :)

I hope somebody washed the rope for the next person that uses it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.