Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kids!

I am here in sunny Phoenix enjoying the weather and local trails for a week or so. I came across four snakes yesterday at McDowell on the technical loop that I need some help in identifying.

The first 2 snakes were the same. One was large (2-3 feet) and the other was smaller, about a 1.5 feet. They had a yellowish stripe (about 1cm) running lengthwise down the body with black stripes on either side.

The 3rd snake was small, about a foot long. It had the "look" of a venomous snake based on the shape of the head and all, but it did not have rattles on the tail. It was a sandy brown color with white and black "flecks" of color. I didn't get a good look at this one.

The last snake was clearly a large rattlesnake, but I don't know which variety. I came across this snake at the very end of the tech loop about 100 yards before the parking lot. He was about 3-4 feet long and just relaxing across the trail. The mosy distinguishing feature (besides the rattle!) was 6 or 8 black and white stripes around the tail just before the rattle.

Any help with identifying these snakes? Thanks!
Mike

· Registered
159 Posts
Anyone know what kind of snake is bright pink or red? I saw one at McDowel last year and another real small one at SoMo recently. They took off before I got a better look, but they were a bright pinkish red color. I didn't see anything like it on the link

-Kevin

Dirdir said:
Try this: http://www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-snakes.htmlI think the only dangerous snakes in the area are the various rattlers and the coral snake.

· Occidental Tourist
3,564 Posts
Kevin_O said:
Anyone know what kind of snake is bright pink or red? I saw one at McDowel last year and another real small one at SoMo recently. They took off before I got a better look, but they were a bright pinkish red color. I didn't see anything like it on the link

-Kevin
I would guess trouser snake but I don't think they stray from their native habitat of Dreamy Draw

· Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
Cool link Dirdir
Aha. I can do something that is not the act of a horse's a$$. Then again, I found the site by wasting time on the internet doing a Google of Arizona snakes.

On to the topic at hand. Can anyone identify the snakes this guy saw or what? I have had enough of the "I have a black momba in my pants" jokes.

· Banned
1,004 Posts
Dirdir said:
Aha. I can do something that is not the act of a horse's a$$. Then again, I found the site by wasting time on the internet doing a Google of Arizona snakes.

On to the topic at hand. Can anyone identify the snakes this guy saw or what? I have had enough of the "I have a black momba in my pants" jokes.
The trouser snake comment just puts you right back in the "horse's @ss" category...

You now have to start over and try to be less sarcastic....

· Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
DownHillFast said:
The trouser snake comment just puts you right back in the "horse's @ss" category...

You now have to start over and try to be less sarcastic....
We can discuss your punishment for that comment at lunch Wednesday.

PS: Don't fuqing touch my food.

· Registered
27 Posts
I went riding on Saturday at the McDowells and also saw 2 diamondbacks on the tech/sport loop areas. Man, the snakes are going to be out in full force this year with all of the rain. That pink snake that was mentioned was probably a coachwhip. They can get bright red or pink and are very fast. The brownish one that looked venemous with no rattle was probably a gopher snake. Has anyone been night riding and seen the plump mice running around? Many of them are so fat they can barely get outta the way. The snakes will have a feast for months to come with those guys.

· Registered
655 Posts
harcuvar said:
I went riding on Saturday at the McDowells and also saw 2 diamondbacks on the tech/sport loop areas. Man, the snakes are going to be out in full force this year with all of the rain. That pink snake that was mentioned was probably a coachwhip. They can get bright red or pink and are very fast. The brownish one that looked venemous with no rattle was probably a gopher snake. Has anyone been night riding and seen the plump mice running around? Many of them are so fat they can barely get outta the way. The snakes will have a feast for months to come with those guys.
...and lots of baby snakes this fall, so next year will be bad, too. I saw a gopher snake today out at White Tank, at first it looked like a rattler, but the gopher snakes have a 'U' shaped head rather than the 'V' shape of the rattler. Still startled me though.

Rita

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.