Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy y'alls. My brother in law just bought a house near South Mountain so it looks like the family is trekking for a holiday visit. We're driving out from the front range, CO next Wednesday. We'll be there for 4 or 5 days so it looks like I'll be able to squeeze in a couple of rides. My mother in law will also be there so maybe I'll be able to fit in more than that :).

Anyway, his house is just south of E Baseline road on 28th. I google mapped it and it looks like I'll be a quick ride to the trailhead at 24th and Valley View. Sound ok?

Here's my questions
How's that Mormon trail to climb up? I've heard nothing but great things about National so I plan to hit that. Is there a recommended direction? How about some good loops to put together out there? I can't plan on having a car, so I'll be doing it all by bike. Would it be worth the riding time to ride to another trailhead?

Anyone want to tour guide? I'm a fit and skilled rider and down for anything, even hike a biking (although it's been in the 20s with snow here so I've been doing more beer drinking than riding lately).

Thanks for your help! I've been hiking at S Mountain long ago but not ever on a bike. The riding there will be the highlight of the tripo.
Dave

edit - if you're anything like the Front Range board, I should point out that I did, indeed, read the sticky :) just looking for further advice. For loop advice, I'd like to ride the entire length of National and was wondering what's the best way to put that together from where I'll be starting from. Didn't see that in the sticky.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
I might be up for some mega SoMo loops on the 24th and/or the 26th and can probably round up a group ride that would be way more fun than tackling this thing solo. SoMo is my backyard although from the other side of the mtn. Anthing from the north side of the mtn is a ***** to climb but *really* fun to descend. Not saying it can't be done, but you might get more enjoyment outa riding up Javalina from the 46th St entrance or looping around on Baseline to the 48th St entrance. More later - I gotta get back to work now. Oh! check out local mapguy Dale's newest GPS of SoMo trails for loop ideas: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=14

Last weekend I did a monster SoMo loop: From my house (on map) east on Desert Classic. Up National to Telegraph then dropped down the road to Bajada. Took Alta E to W then continued on National to the supersecret new trail mapped as Gila, then back to the hot tub via Desert Classic. 9-hour loop!!! Backside was solo but frontside was with riding pals. Good times :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
DurtGurl said:
I might be up for some mega SoMo loops on the 24th and/or the 26th and can probably round up a group ride that would be way more fun than tackling this thing solo. SoMo is my backyard although from the other side of the mtn. Anthing from the north side of the mtn is a ***** to climb but *really* fun to descend. Not saying it can't be done, but you might get more enjoyment outa riding up Javalina from the 46th St entrance or looping around on Baseline to the 48th St entrance. More later - I gotta get back to work now. Oh! check out local mapguy Dale's newest GPS of SoMo trails for loop ideas: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=14

Last weekend I did a monster SoMo loop: From my house (on map) east on Desert Classic. Up National to Telegraph then dropped down the road to Bajada. Took Alta E to W then continued on National to the supersecret new trail mapped as Gila, then back to the hot tub via Desert Classic. 9-hour loop!!! Backside was solo but frontside was with riding pals. Good times :)
I think that the original poster should just ride the road up to Buena Vista, then National, double back on Mormon Loop to Javalina, down Javelina and then the canal back home. That's what I would do.

This Gila trail looks interesting. I rode up there this spring from the ruins up to the high point of the trail at the saddle overlooking the long valley once and thought this would be a pretty interesting ride, but I haven't taken the time to go back. (Didn't see another soul the whole time.) Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
DurtGurl said:

HEY OP!

What she said... even though its been YEARS since I've ridden with DurtGurl, her rides are usually loaded with great times, pics and video. You won't be disappointed, she probably outrides most every one of us on here!

I might even make an appearance for this...

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey all, thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming. Durtgurl, I know you! You rode with us on a Tuesday ride out here a couple of years ago with Jen and Jesper so you know I'm down for anything. I'd like to keep the road time to a minimum, I'm sure you all know about that. I'm definitely a capable climber so, unless you need a full on dh bike to descend it, I'll go up it. Thanks for the links, too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
ignazjr said:
Hey all, thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming. Durtgurl, I know you! You rode with us on a Tuesday ride out here a couple of years ago with Jen and Jesper so you know I'm down for anything. I'd like to keep the road time to a minimum, I'm sure you all know about that. I'm definitely a capable climber so, unless you need a full on dh bike to descend it, I'll go up it. Thanks for the links, too.

Sounds like you'll fit in fine. :thumbsup:

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
ignazjr said:
OMG - that night ride nearly killed me! I was on a demo 29 with strange-to-me gripshift. I was frozen and had intestinal issues. After a visit to the woods, I felt better but the grade of that ascent was pretty much the steepest sustained climb I have ever done in my life. The DH was a hoot thru the woods on the tight steep singletrack, but yes... that ride nearly killed me. Then I couldn't get out of my shoes. My hands were frozen solid and I think Jesper finally extracted me after much effort. The Old Chub beer at Oscars (once we finally got there) was a life saver. Good times! You will have no problem at all with our tiny little hill called South Mountain :thumbsup:

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
sounds like you are getting hooked up with the right crowd.

24th St. is climbable with (for me) about 50% hikeybike. It takes ~30, but puts you in a fabulous spot on the mtn very quickly - down Mormon or National, up National and beyond. The descent is short but hard, one of the harder DHs in Phx. You dont need a DH rig, but you do need to be on your game. Comparable to hard techy rides in Moab or Fruita (if that gives you some reference). Geronimo (20th St.) is still hard but notably easier, and drops you close to the same spot. Both will be good for getting back to the family. Really dont know your ability so dont want to say you can ride them without armor or alone, but they are both doable that way.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
I live about a mile from where you'll be staying. I like going up 24th but there is some hike a bike. I have lots of free time and wouldn't mind showing you the goods on Somo. Like Chollaball said there are several options from 24th street, all of them good.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I just printed out that map from Dale. Completely sweet - looks like a labyrinth of trails in a pretty small area. I'd love to hook up for a group ride. Let me nail my schedule down so I can have an idea of what times I'll be free. Let me know what works for you guys and I'll lock it in with the fam. If you could post up a couple of meetup times that'd work for you, I'll got to bat. I might be able to get out another couple times on my lonesome, too. Looks like I can have a pretty good time wandering around aimlessly in the desert there.

Appreciate the tips, too. I'm pretty much a non armor type of guy and don't really have a problem with it. I've been riding at a high(ish) level for a long time. If I'm not confident about something, I won't hit it (especially if I'm faced with a 16hour return trip drive). heh heh.

And if any of you guys ever make it out to CO, I'm happy to tourguide you. Here's a couple of my favorite rides from last summer. Maybe it'll give you some insight to what I'm into (but I don't know what kind of time window I'll be allowed). Sure beats shopping or whatever my wife and her mom will want to do.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=546102
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=541020

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Dave, I'm gonna derail your thread a tad if you don't mind.

I'm flying out to Phoenix this Saturday for 4 days. I'm hoping to hit up South Mountain, Goat Camp and Mt. Lemmon. Thanks for the link to Dale's maps, there are a lot of great maps there!

Can anyone tell me which is the funnest way down from the top of Mt. Lemmon? Is it rideable right now? TIA!

_MK

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang MK_. It'd be great to hook up with you in AZ! Looks like we'll just miss each other.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
ignazjr said:
Dang MK_. It'd be great to hook up with you in AZ! Looks like we'll just miss each other.
I know, I saw your post and got hopeful and then read your dates. Bummer!

_MK

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not highjacking just fanning the fire of group ride excitement. I will be downt there from Utah the week of the 28th through the 2nd. If there are any tasty XC group rides I would love to hook up.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for tithe beta everyone. I rode up Mormon, up to BV on Natl, then back down Natl to Mormon Loop, up Mormon Loop then back down to 24th St. Great ride on good techy desert trails. It reminded me a lot of the riding around Grand Junction and Hall Ranch in Lyons. Good stuff!

Any group rides coming up? It'd love to hook up with some of y'alls for a big ride. I'm only 5-10 mind from the 24th St. Trailhead. We'll be here thru Monday I think.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
The shuttle boys will be out there tomorrow. Meet up at Scorpion Gulch (at the Central Ave entrance to the park).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts