Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was coming down National yesterday I stopped for 3 Homers and a Ventana rider headin' up. Anyone from this board? Grey RFX, white 5 spot(?) and another Turner. I would be interested in tagging along on a SM ride sometime as I would really like to be able "ride" more of the mountain.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
that had to be us, although I don't remember seeing anyone. 2 packs, 1 rfx, 1 venatana 29er, and 1 asterix. it must have been lower national because we dropped 24th street, climbed geronimo, dropped cochise, and spun back on the canal.

today we rode national to the top of holbert, down holbert, and back on the canal.

we ride somo almost every sat and sun. pm me if you want to join us for a ride.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hey Dirtbag, Team Sanchez is still planning on coming down in April. I think the second weekend. I'll email you as our plans solidifiy. Hopefully we can hook up with you guys and get another taste of SOMO.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
dirtbag said:
that had to be us, although I don't remember seeing anyone. 2 packs, 1 rfx, 1 venatana 29er, and 1 asterix. it must have been lower national because we dropped 24th street, climbed geronimo, dropped cochise, and spun back on the canal.

today we rode national to the top of holbert, down holbert, and back on the canal.

we ride somo almost every sat and sun. pm me if you want to join us for a ride.
Do you prefer descending cochise over geronimo? I have descended geronimo and taken the first split to the right(maybe that is cochise?) a few times and absolutely love it on my only bike at the moment(till wed. sultans coming 2nd air) which is a one speed rock lobster. Geronimo(to the right) seems to be the perfect tech desc. at somo for hardtails. I don't think I have ridden cochise yet, if it isn't the right off the top that I keep mentioning, just wondering yer pref. it might be fun to get out there w/ya'll one of these days with the sultan.
d

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
Hey Dirtbag, Team Sanchez is still planning on coming down in April. I think the second weekend. I'll email you as our plans solidifiy. Hopefully we can hook up with you guys and get another taste of SOMO.
Crash-
right on! i would be happy to hook up with you guys-definitely somo and perhaps goat camp. we found a new super secret trail that we've been hitting lately. steep, techy, ledgy switchbacks with pretty serious PFF. we'll have to blindfold you and have you take the oath of super secrecy. :winker:

freebiker said:
Do you prefer descending cochise over geronimo? I have descended geronimo a few times and absolutely love it on my only bike at the moment(till wed. sultans coming 2nd air) which is a one speed rock lobster. Geronimo seems to be the perfect tech desc. at somo for hardtails. I don't think I have ridden cochise yet, just wondering yer pref. it might be fun to get out there w/ya'll one of these days with the sultan.
d
cochise? did i say cochise? what's cochise? :blush::rolleyes: :cool:

Mike H. said:
dirtbag,
Were you the pack of 3 that had the injured rider at the bottom of Holbert?
no. when i was coming back to the ramadas via the canal, i saw the firetrucks pull in (never a good sign) and a helecopter in the air over the ridge. if, in fact the injured rider was on holbert, i can't believe they got it so screwed up to come into pima canyon. there were several groups shuttling today and it was probably one of them. bummer!! do you know anything more?

noosa2 said:
Will do, as long as you guys don't mind waitin' for me on the climbs ... and the descents.
my pals wait for me. i don't see any reason why they wouldn't wait for you. :yawn:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,570 Posts
I saw some fire trucks on the dirt road out of the national-trailhead today.

I also rammed into a few riders that were descending on the lower part of national (the part that has narrower trail). People just don't want to yield, and I almost got into it with one guy that decided to ride away. Comming down a narrow section that was kind of a "rut", I just kept climbing. Instead of pulling off where there was space, he just kept going down, so I thought screw it, I'll just ram my bike into his. This is not something that I just decided, it's simply the way I go UP trails, such as schultz and national. He was kind of pissy and I asked him, "so you're supposed to yield right"? And he said something which I didn't catch, so I said "do you know the rules of the trail?", and he said "I try not to mess up people's flow when they're going downhill", he was moving off pretty fast though, I said a few other words to him.

Anyhow, I magically escaped ANY injury or bike damange at South Mountain today. Fan Fing tastic. Quite a few 6 packs and RFXs out there.

·
Maui Grown
722 Posts
Cochise?

dirtbag said:
it must have been lower national because we dropped 24th street, climbed geronimo, dropped cochise, and spun back on the canal.
Where's Cochise? I know Holbert, Geronimo & 24th Street, but I've never heard of Cochise.

·
Registered
628 Posts
dirtbag said:
no. when i was coming back to the ramadas via the canal, i saw the firetrucks pull in (never a good sign) and a helecopter in the air over the ridge. if, in fact the injured rider was on holbert, i can't believe they got it so screwed up to come into pima canyon. there were several groups shuttling today and it was probably one of them. bummer!! do you know anything more?
Don't know anything about that.
We meet up w/ 3 Turners (6packs?) at the btm of Holbert and gave one rider a ride back to 48th street parking lot... he was fine... well, couldn't ride, but, was walking and seemed like he just needed a refreshment :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.