Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
beer horse
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a dream SS wheelset--any info is nice, but it would be great to hear from those of you who have ridden more than one of the above brands for a significant length of time. I've done some research, but tend to hear from those who have ridden just one of the three vs. lesser hubs. Thanks

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Well, what's important to you? Do you ride in a lot of gunk, or just hardpack? A Phil Wood hub is high quality, easy to maintain, and coupled with a WI freewheel probably the best sealed hub. This is what I would use for riding in all sorts of conditions. If a freehub is more in your desires, check out the King vs I9 thread.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
If you plan on changing gearing depending on the ride, go with a freehub/cog style. I hate changing freewheels.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,523 Posts
Like Schmucker said, first figure out whether you want freehub or freewheel.

Personally, I hope to never own another freewheel. I went with King and it is great. Makes a lot of racket, though. I have plenty of King rear hubs on various bikes (gearies) but they never bothered me until I put one on my SS. Singlespeeds have the potential to be silent, the King rear hub is anything but.

My King hub doesn't require much attention but is very easy to service whenever it needs it.

Don't have an I9 wheel so I can't say anything about them... not even whether they're noisy.

--Sparty

·
Registered
507 Posts
I9 are sooo easy to rebuild. I tear them apart about every 4 months. Clean and regrease both hubs 30 mins tops. Chris kings are WAY louder. Honestly you cant go wrong with either of the three.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have I9s and really like them, but they are loud. Engagement is great though.

I also have a ENO hub, but unfortunately don't have the WI freewheels (I have crappy ACS claws). If I were looking at a new SS wheel set, I wouldn't be looking at one with a freewheel. As mentioned above by Sparticus, freewheels are a bich to change. My recommendation is to go with the I9 or the Kings.

Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with the others: determine if you would like a freewheel or a freehub/cog. I came from a BMX and track background, so I never considered a freehub/cog setup. I have the below wheelset on my Wolfhound, and could not be more pleased with the Phil Woods / WI ENO freewheel. Phil Wood has great customer service and replacing their sealed bearings costs only a few dollars. I have more miles on an old track bike with Woods that eats salty winter roads. Changing freewheels is simple, but make certain to first coat the threads with anti-seize and use a 3 foot steel pipe for leverage when removing.

That being said, I recently built a SS King wheelset for my Moots Mooto-X winter beater. The decision was not because I thought that the freehub/cog would hold up better to the winter weather (if anything, the Woods would be better for this), but I needed a 24mm TA for the front (Maverick fork) and found it easier for identical spoke lengths to build the set with matching King hubs.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,523 Posts
This reminds me...........

King's freehub has proved less than ideal for winter use if temps where you live generally get much below freezing. I know of several instances when friends of mine riding King hubs found their hub freewheeling while spinning their cranks in either direction.

I believe King sells a special grease (not as thick) specifically for use during sub-freezing conditions.

--Sparty

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Another one

You could also look at the Hope Pro II hubs. I have about 500 miles on my set so far. They are loud though. You can use them instead of a bike bell.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DT Swiss 240s I've run these hubs on my Dean for 3 years with no issues whatsoever and they are quieter than the Kings. I'm in the process of putting a new build together and will run Phil's on this,they look sweet and I'm sure they'll have no issues either. I've run both freewheel and freehub and personally like them both equal.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I9 are also interchangeable. With the front hub you can go between, 9mm QR, 20mm thru, 24mm thru( for maverick) or even 25mm thru( for the new specialized fork.) Not sure if that is important to you. it was one of the selling points for me. each different axle is about 40 dollars.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My I9 SS wheelset with Flow rims weigh 1770 grams. My King geared hub with Arches weighed 1810 grams. My DT 240 SS with Arches weigh 1650.

You can't go wrong with I9. King or DT. When you get to this level, they are all good, just a little different. Most of it depends on riding style, weight and terrain.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It was posted above already but I'll second the support for DT 240's.
They are fantastic. Light, durable, easy to rebuild, and best of all, no need to rebuild.
I've had several sets of Kings and eventually grew weary of the BUZZ. Add to that weariness the need to maintain them. Bearing preload, chain drag (less of a big deal on a SS).
The only draw back to the 240s is the lack of (I refuse to use the B word) flair? Flash? Pizazz? Hell I don't know they just look boreing. I'm dreaming on a new 29 Ti SS and have wondered about sending the 240s somewhere to be polished. Always love those polished hubs.

·
Homey the Clown
185 Posts
Why this myth that freewheels are hard to change? I've never had any trouble, and I don't even use a breaker bar. I just use a longish adjustable wrench. One thing that may help is tightening the freewheel the same way, rather than using pedal pressure to put it on.

I have a WI freewheel and I LOVE it. It's my first (a Xmas present) and I'll never own a cheapie again. I like f/w hubs personally, and my Phil is really nice. I've also owned Paul and they're nice as well. The disadvantage of the Phil is the weight. The WI is pretty and light, but I haven't dropped the coin on one yet.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Why this myth that freewheels are hard to change?
because it's true (for some anyways)

i've had trouble with every freewheel i install. i use a snipe, wd-40, and heat.... my next step is to use my vice, and clamp the teeth...which always works, but destroys the freewheel.

i'll never, ever use a freewheel again (by choice anyways). i'm glad you like yours, the WI stuff is pretty nice looking for sure.

and to the OP...i'm a King whore, they are sweet hubs. the I9's are nice...but the couple that i've heard are louder than my kings by a fair amount. the kings are loud enough on the otherwise stealth SS.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Johnny Chicken Bones said:
It was posted above already but I'll second the support for DT 240's.
They are fantastic. Light, durable, easy to rebuild, and best of all, no need to rebuild.
I've had several sets of Kings and eventually grew weary of the BUZZ. Add to that weariness the need to maintain them. Bearing preload, chain drag (less of a big deal on a SS).
The only draw back to the 240s is the lack of (I refuse to use the B word) flair? Flash? Pizazz? Hell I don't know they just look boreing. I'm dreaming on a new 29 Ti SS and have wondered about sending the 240s somewhere to be polished. Always love those polished hubs.
i will third the dt240s. fantastic hubs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree

xJAHx said:
I agree with the others: determine if you would like a freewheel or a freehub/cog. I came from a BMX and track background, so I never considered a freehub/cog setup. I have the below wheelset on my Wolfhound, and could not be more pleased with the Phil Woods / WI ENO freewheel. Phil Wood has great customer service and replacing their sealed bearings costs only a few dollars. I have more miles on an old track bike with Woods that eats salty winter roads. Changing freewheels is simple, but make certain to first coat the threads with anti-seize and use a 3 foot steel pipe for leverage when removing.

That being said, I recently built a SS King wheelset for my Moots Mooto-X winter beater. The decision was not because I thought that the freehub/cog would hold up better to the winter weather (if anything, the Woods would be better for this), but I needed a 24mm TA for the front (Maverick fork) and found it easier for identical spoke lengths to build the set with matching King hubs.
I have 3 pairs of Phil Wood wheels now with their custom spokes and can't find one negative thing to say...one pair has been on my SS 29er for 3yrs and tons of miles horrible weather and 24 hr races and they role as smooth as the set I got 4 months ago.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts