Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I love Phil stuff...I've got a 1/8" custom Phil cog on my Rohloff, but I'm not quite getting this. The flange c-c looks narrower than Rohloff (could be an optical illusion due to the larger diameter of the shell) and there's no way to mount a rotor that I can see.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
The three things i want to know. Cost, weight savings and shipping date.

·
Registered
597 Posts
2xPneu said:
I love Phil stuff...I've got a 1/8" custom Phil cog on my Rohloff, but I'm not quite getting this. The flange c-c looks narrower than Rohloff (could be an optical illusion due to the larger diameter of the shell) and there's no way to mount a rotor that I can see.
Spoke hole circle diameter is 141mm vs 100mm on the original and the Center to Flange is 25.5mm vs 30mm on original which are both giving the optical illusion.

Very odd re rotor. Perhaps they have a different non-drive side end they can switch out?

I'd pay just about anything for a green anodized with rotor mounting option...

I have inquired about pricing and availability.

·
Registered
597 Posts
These will be available in anodized colors in both disc and non disc configurations next week after NAHBS. Pricing to come out next week as well, doubt they're cheap but maybe as they're just a shell... Also, seals will be Rohloff still, so should be easy swap of internals. I can't wait, hope to have one on a bike by the end of March.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Talk about perfect timing, I was literally days away from dealing with custom flange adapters etc and sweating delays for parts. Not even close to ideal and would have given a frankestein look to the ride.

Will update on price once they get back to me after NAHBS. I didn't ask about weight savings but will do. I doubt there's much given the taller flanges and I'll never notice a potential 20-100 gram savings on the bike that's receiving it. I'll likely end up at 36ish lbs.

Availability will be next week as stated above. I'll send pics as soon as I see mine in person. I'm sure there will be tons of pics from NAHBS as they'll have 2 at the show built into Horton bikes and one laced to a rim.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
Anyone hear any more about this? Very curious whether this drops significant weight compared to a standard Rohloff shell.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was told by James that PW would have available for my build in 3-4wks from about 10 days ago after they wanted to make some small tweaks. No idea on cost or weight savings yet. Haven't emailed PW for details.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
Would it be possible to expand the shell so as to facilitate use of a 170mm skewer for use on a fat bike? (Fatback makes Ti skewers for use with their own 170mm hubs, so wondering if it would be possible to fit a Rohloff into a Fatback or similar wide hub application...)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not sure about Fatbacks, but I'd bet there has to be a solution using some sort of spacer on a longer axle? IF Phil Wood ends up selling these shells you may be able to get them to make a custom shell, but that would be $uper expensive.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
chernichovsky said:
:thumbsup:

There she is my I-9 (infinity 29ER)

In love!
Looks like you've already got a Rohloff on there - what do you think you'll gain from a new shell? Want to use a higher spoke count or something?

mbeardsl said:
Not sure about Fatbacks, but I'd bet there has to be a solution using some sort of spacer on a longer axle? IF Phil Wood ends up selling these shells you may be able to get them to make a custom shell, but that would be $uper expensive.
Yep, I just emailed them both to check status and ask them about this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aesthetics

JimInSF said:
Looks like you've already got a Rohloff on there - what do you think you'll gain from a new shell? Want to use a higher spoke count or something?

Yep, I just emailed them both to check status and ask them about this.
Aesthetics - the Aesthetics gain :cool:

Attachments

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
Dude, that's already a pretty bike! If you're buying a new shell just for aesthetics, we need to make friends. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks man

JimInSF said:
Dude, that's already a pretty bike! If you're buying a new shell just for aesthetics, we need to make friends. ;)
Hey ya - Thanks!

:thumbsup: we will be the"two psychos" around the hood :cool:

Speaking of which -Halted my fabrication doings for in house powder coating R&D:madman:
Results are just great after alllllot of practice. Hopefuly will bring my finishings to the functional strength needed especially on MTB's.

Attachments

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
Love the internal routing job there - pretty and functional. What hydros did you use and how'd you thread them?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts