Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all PW PISSOFF owners--about a week ago I noticed a crack on each side of my seat tube just above and forward where the seat stays are welded. My frame is painted so at first I thought it was paint cracking. I rode it today and the cracks were extended in length. Got out a knife and scraped paint away from each side of the crack on one side and it appears the frame is superficially cracked. Removed the seatpost to see if I could feel the defect but I cannot. Adding fore/aft stress on the seat accentuates the crack width.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this (including others who have 26" IF Ti deluxe)?? Calling PWW tomorrow to see what to do next.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
jennytalia said:
To all PW PISSOFF owners--about a week ago I noticed a crack on each side of my seat tube just above and forward where the seat stays are welded. My frame is painted so at first I thought it was paint cracking. I rode it today and the cracks were extended in length. Got out a knife and scraped paint away from each side of the crack on one side and it appears the frame is superficially cracked. Removed the seatpost to see if I could feel the defect but I cannot. Adding fore/aft stress on the seat accentuates the crack width.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this (including others who have 26" IF Ti deluxe)?? Calling PWW tomorrow to see what to do next.
thats a bummer but thankfully there plenty of builders that can fix it for less than a new frame unless you secretly want a new frame:thumbsup:

I would post up a pic in the framebuilder forum and I'm sure you will find a local builder willing to do a repair, maybe adding a gusset and re-fillet brazing will fix it.

I've never built a frame so it best to ask them.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Had a similar issue with a Ti Deluxe frame except both chain stays were split laterally top and bottom about 4-6" each. Frame only had about 30-35 miles total on it before it failed. Called IF and they took care of the issue right away. When it returned it looked as if it were brand spanking new. I was rather satisfied with the repair job until I put a few miles on it. Frame just does not seem to track or ride quite right. I have owned quite a few Ti frames including ones from IF and the repaired frame just does not seem up to par. I have been meaning to call IF and see what can be done, but keep putting this off due to work, family, and plenty of other excuses.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,171 Posts
I HOPE that you have previously sent and Email/phone call to Phil Wood. Slathering a broken frame here before you talk to the builder is Lame.

·
Talentless Hack
186 Posts
Why not...

njbiker66 said:
I feel the same way I would have never bashed a custom builder. :madman:
Things break. I would like to know if I had a Pissoff frame if there may be a weakness in a weld. Free flow of information is more important than hurting someones feelings on some lame forum. I would doubt that Phil Wood would even care if someone posted this.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
banks said:
I HOPE that you have previously sent and Email/phone call to Phil Wood. Slathering a broken frame here before you talk to the builder is Lame.
the OP never bashed the company just wanted to know if it was a common occurrence with the frames

·
Registered
124 Posts
ouch

Sorry to hear about your frame. Keep us posted please. Crux, I assume your ti deluxe was custom built for you? Call IF and get an RA # and send it back to them to have them check it. I am sure they will take care of you. I bet they are busy though getting ready for the handmade show, but I'd give them a shout.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
ifrider2 said:
Sorry to hear about your frame. Keep us posted please. Crux, I assume your ti deluxe was custom built for you? Call IF and get an RA # and send it back to them to have them check it. I am sure they will take care of you. I bet they are busy though getting ready for the handmade show, but I'd give them a shout.
Yep the frame is custom.

Matt over at IF has been great and the turn around time on the frame was actually quite reasonable. There was a week long delay from the initial schedule, but they called right away letting me know which I really appreciated. I think that IF is a stand up company and the few failures they do see are addressed profesionally.

I am just going to hate calling them on this frame after they replaced the CS with bad news.

·
Registered
961 Posts
MAKE THE CALL, then start a thread

banks said:
I believe that Sycip built most of not all of the PW SS frames, pick up the phone and call Phil Wood and confirm etc,,,,,,,they always take care of their customers. Sycip is another top notch bike company, they should take care of you if they did indeed build the frame. Maybe you purchased the frame used and that explains why you don't know the details on the builder?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
elrancho66 said:
I believe that Sycip built most of not all of the PW SS frames, pick up the phone and call Phil Wood and confirm etc,,,,,,,they always take care of their customers. Sycip is another top notch bike company, they should take care of you if they did indeed build the frame. Maybe you purchased the frame used and that explains why you don't know the details on the builder?
You are referencing the KISSOFF framesets. The PISSOFF series of which there were only 32 originally made (mine being #23) were made by IF.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just goes to show that everything can break.Even the most expensive frames.If that had been a inexpensive frame people would say thats why you should spend your hard earned wages on quality.Yeah right,I will have a monocog thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New #23 coming

Talked to both PW and IF and they stated this is a warranty issue. E-mailed snapshots of the cracks and IF will build new frame. Will post any followup. Thanks for weighing in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.