Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to upgrade my ird quad 55 bb to a phil on my sir.

The ird is a 115mm and it gives me a nice chainline with my eno crank set. What size spidle do I need on a phil? Bike set up is ck hubs sir Niner with en crank.

Also do I need a phil symetric or the one that has the extra 5mm on the drive side?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
I would like to upgrade my ird quad 55 bb to a phil on my sir.

The ire is a 115mm and it gives me a nice chainline with my eno crank set. What size spidle do I need on a phil? Bike set up is ck hubs sir Niner with en crank.

Also do I need a phil symetric or the one that has the extra 5mm on the drive side?
I'd get the symmetric unless you want to move things around. I don't see a 115, but the 116 should work, 1/2 mm longer on each side you'd never notice.

If you do want to get an asymmetric and you don't want to move your chainline you'd need a 111 R+3. It would move your left crankarm 3mm closer to your chainstay, make sure you have room.

115/2=57.5 [right and left spindle half length IRD BB]

(111+3)/2=57 [right side spindle half length, sort of like a 114mm symmetric BB]

(111-3)/2=54 [left side spindle half length]

54+57=111 [full spindle length]

·
Registered
465 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
thank you so much!!!! That should work!!!!
careful with the math.

According to WI a 113 spindle with the ENO Crank will give you a 47.5 mm chainline

http://www.whiteind.com/techcorner/crankinstructions.html

The problem is the spacing on a SS King is 45, 50 or 55 so in order to get a 50 mm chainline (in the center of the King Hub)

You need to add 2.5 mm to each side of spindle. If 113 gives you 47.5 the 113 +2.5+2.5=118mm gives you a 50 mm chainline (47.5 +2.5 =50)

However Phil only has a 119 sym which is what I went with so the chain line is off by 1/2 a mm.

Good luck. PS running the exact same setup. SIR, King, ENO, Phil = Rocks

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with the IRD

Wish I Were Riding said:
What's wrong with the IRD?

I have an IRD in my frame. Its the better one of the 2 they offer (is that the 55?). Its not a Phil, but it seems okay to me...
In fact I am not sure what the real difference is between the IRD and the Phil other than the adjustable chainline of the Phil cups.

I was working the numbers on the phil and after buying cups, tools, and bb it comes to about $150. The IRD quad 55 is $27 and it feels really stiff on my SIR so now I am rethinking why mess with the set up since it has served me well for a year of hammering.

I was able to regrease one of the bearings on the IRD but the other bearing is a bit contaminated with crap and I cannot clean it.

one thing that sucks is the $40 minimum order of the IRD store. So I guess I'll order 2 IRD Quad 55's.

I like the cheaper IRD because it comes with steel cups. Aluminum cups tend to click, creak and moan in the niner BB shell (Ie race face BB taperloc which I have) . The steel cups are quiet.

So good question - Has anyone noticed any difference in stiffness between the IRD Quad and the Phil BB?

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Very nice....

Monte said:
Phil Wood is the Chris King of square taper bottom brackets. :rolleyes:
Funny though. Last year I burned through one brand new Phil Wood BB (bearings) and one brand new ENO rear SS cog (bearings). Both companies were great and fixed'm up for free. Granted, it was on my wet weather bike, but just goes to show you, nothing is perfect.

That said the PW BB w/ adjustable cups is great.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
hear your point but if I install a phil and $$200 later I do not notice a difference I will be very very upset
I don't think that's my point. I don't know that the Phil (which is probably great) is worth the extra money over what you already have. Maybe it is, but I don't see it that way so far. You can probably buy 4 of the IRD you have been using compared to one Phil...

·
Jacob 34:19
511 Posts
Maybe OT but....

Has anyone compared the Phil to the WI BB?

FWIW, Iv'e been running a Shimano UN73 for the last 3 years with ENO's on my Sir9 and not a lick of trouble. Granted, I rarely ride in wet weather.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Call 'em

Call Phil Wood and they'll help you with what length you need. I have used them for a few years now and they're definitely the Chris King of BB. Their customer service is stellar as well. I've been really happy with the decision, you will be too.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
JAKEtheDOG said:
Has anyone compared the Phil to the WI BB?

FWIW, Iv'e been running a Shimano UN73 for the last 3 years with ENO's on my Sir9 and not a lick of trouble. Granted, I rarely ride in wet weather.
Not cool to rub in how good UN73's are since they aren't available anymore. I wish people would stop suggesting them... :rolleyes: :p ;)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All,
Thank you for your kind replies...

I went with the IRD again. The bearings look the same as the phil and the steel spindle is plenty stiff (looks similar also). The shell of the Phil looks nice but who cares about the shell....

As far as replacing bearings, you can just about buy another IRD BB for the price of bearings.

The IRD requires no $14 special tool. It is a tange so I figure what the hell, that should be good enough.

I bought two since there is a minimum order qty of $40.

I got one 68 x115 for the old Niner EBB shell and one 73 x 115 for the new EBB niner shell. Both with steel cups.

I also got a new ENO chainring and Sram 890 chain from pricepoint for a fresh SS drivetrain for the 2009 season... I am going with a 34x19 set up, CK cog for racing.

My fully squishies (flux, 5 spot) are not seeing much riding.... What to do, what to do???

I have the following BB's at home that I have kept through out the years all in great condition:

Two UN72 73x113
One UN72 68x110
One Race face taperlock 68/73x110 smooth as silk
One octalink 73x113
One ultegra 6500 68x109
One modus 73x118 square taper

I have kept all that "junk" and over the years and now it looks like may be useful to some including me.

That is not to mention the crank set collection:
Raceface turbines square taper
Shimano XT FC-M730
Shimano Deore square taper
Shimano Hollow tech first generation - looks like new still

I think I have the perfect SS spare part garage :)

PS I forgot to mention all the steel frames laying around...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.