Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
not to mention the forgot to drill the holes to allow the mud to pass through the ring and cog. Phill Wood makes great stuff but these two products are just stupid (not belt drive! I have one, just their version of belt drive parts)

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
scooter916 said:
Phill Wood makes great stuff but these two products are just stupid (not belt drive! I have one, just their version of belt drive parts)
Good point I bet they are for fixie-hippsters so their white pant cuff does not get dirty :eekster::thumbsup::D

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
scooter916 said:
not to mention the forgot to drill the holes to allow the mud to pass through the ring and cog. Phill Wood makes great stuff but these two products are just stupid (not belt drive! I have one, just their version of belt drive parts)
Like Banks said, these are for road fixie riding, where you don't need the mud holes. They do look really nice, and I'll bet they are working of dirt specific models with the windows.

Mark

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
WilliamK said:
Hmm, looks really nice.

Hey Scooter916 - what sort do you have then?

What are the other recommendations for belt drive conversion?
I am using the Gates stuff, when I was building my bike I inquired about having the cogs re-anodized blue instead of the black but they HIGHLY discouraged me from doing that since they treat the rings with a tungsten finish to slow down the wear.

I would consider the Phil stuff for a road bike but since the cranks in the picture were Mtn cranks I thought they were pushing them towards the Mtn scene.

not too mention the Phil ring looks heavy.

ANY bike shop can get you Gates belt components,but it helps to find a shop with experience with the system to get it right

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow scooter916 - you have a super nice bike there. Really really nice, kudos to you mate.

I had seen the gates stuff and am thinking that is one of the best belt options out there at the moment.

I am way ahead of myself though - I have a SC Chameleon that I love, but now I have to go and find a split frame to try out the belt drive thing.

Man it is going to be hard to find anything that handles like my Lizard and has a splitable frame - but in the back of my mind I am knowing that there are softer rides with great geo out there too.

Very nice belt drive, I am fully intrigued with the concept. It's got to be a winner.

Have you run your bike with a chain previously - any direct comparisions?

Thanks for the quick reply and advice, appreciated.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
William, I have only ridden tat custom fame with the belt drive. compared to my other single speed, an alloy DEAN with White Ind FW and Spinergy SPOX wheel this new bike custom steel Patrick Cycles with Industry Nine hub and belt feels like it has a booster on it, there doesn't seem to be any lag when I get on the pedals when I stand up on the climbs. I need to go take my other bike out again after logging a bunch of miles on the belt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.