Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question but I just picked up a used Phil Wood Jis BB and the crank bolts that came with it are beat pretty bad. Does it take standard self extracting crank bolts from say middleburn or crank brothers, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any M8 crank bolts for square tapered bottom brackets will do. Your LBS should have regular steel ones in stock. They might even stock aluminum or titanium ones if you're a weight weenie. If you're ordering from online, make sure you get the M8, the M15 ones are for ISIS bottom brackets and won't fit square tapered bottom brackets.

·
Registered
242 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
M8 bolts as far as I know.

FYI, Al and Ti crank bolts are only used AFTER you torque your crankbolts on with steel bolts.
Thanks Mtnbiker72, forgot to mention that important rule. :thumbsup: Install the cranks with some cheap shimano M8 steel crank bolts to proper torque recommendation, then back the same M8 steel crank bolts back out. Then install M8 aluminum or titanium crank bolts of your preference. ;)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Hardguy said:
Thanks Mtnbiker72, forgot to mention that important rule. :thumbsup: Install the cranks with some cheap shimano M8 steel crank bolts to proper torque recommendation, then back the same M8 steel crank bolts back out. Then install M8 aluminum or titanium crank bolts of your preference. ;)
Yea, I removed a few broken bolts over the years from spindles after the bike owners tried putting on their crank arms with their SRP bolts...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you guys have answered so well and have also gave me a new question. What is the reasoning for torquing with steel, removing and installing the other style bolts?

·
Registered
242 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Yea, I removed a few broken bolts over the years from spindles after the bike owners tried putting on their crank arms with their SRP bolts...
I'm sure breakage happens a lot with the aluminum bolts. I have never used aluminum crank bolts myself. I have been using some syncros crank-o-matic titanium self extracting crank bolts for years w/o problems after I torque the cranks on with steel bolts. I only used aluminum bolts to hold my bottle cages, bike computer and my bell. Wouldn't trust them on anything else on my bike cause I value my life too much to offset the ounce or two difference in weight. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.