Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I know this is a drivetrain question (already posted there), but it's going on a One9. I Just got a Phil b/b and before I install it I want to make sure there isn't a problem. I noticed that the cups don't slide easily over the bearings. I am not able to push them all the way onto the bearings by hand, about 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the bearing . I assume when I do this with a torque wrench it will go all the way on, but I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a close tollerance fit. I figure this is all fine but want to be sure before I install this beauty. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Tight fit

Dan,

Congrats on your new frame ;-)

Phil Wood cups will have very fine tolerances so it may not press on by hand. Once you install it with a torque wrench it should go together like butter. Make sure you grease the treads well and start the cups in by hand. I have had a few PW parts and all have been jewels.

Chris
Niner Bikes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Niner Bikes said:
Dan,

Congrats on your new frame ;-)

Phil Wood cups will have very fine tolerances so it may not press on by hand. Once you install it with a torque wrench it should go together like butter. Make sure you grease the treads well and start the cups in by hand. I have had a few PW parts and all have been jewels.

Chris
Niner Bikes
Thanks Chris. One step closer to riding....now for that Niner fork ;-)

Dan

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My Phil BB was accompanied by a tube of loctite. I just used grease, but when I do the preventive maintenance R&R I'll probably go ahead and loctite 'er down. I'd be apprehensive about gluing it in before I knew where it needed to be set at, so trial fit it and measure where the cups sit in relation to the shell, then remove and apply the glue and replace.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
use the loctite

grease the threads and but a few drops of loctite inside each cup where it will contact the bearings,take a couple minutes to get your chainline right and ride of into the sunset cause your bb troubles are over.id tour around the world on my phils without a second thought.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,750 Posts
Phil's grease for me...

RobW said:
I used loctite as specified for years, but if I got wet the bb would start creaking. Now I use Phil's grease on the threads and I get no creaking, no movement, no pitting. YMMV

And as to the orginal question, the cups/retaining rings will push on to the bb shell when you intall it. When I pull the bb, only one of the cups/retaining rings comes off and the other is lodged on pretty tight, but that's not a problem. Works the same with both my Phil bbs...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's what I did first time around, guess I'll do that again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.