Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Phil’s World During/After Rain?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  waltaz 
#1 ·
We’re heading up from AZ for the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde this weekend, and the forecast is showing rain showers from Weds through Sat. The race is 7 am to 7 pm on Sat.

How does Phil’s handle the rain? Is it rideable during or after? How long does it need to dry out enough to ride?

I’ve done the race three times, but it’s never been wet. It seems to me that there are a number of sections that would be peanut butter or death mud if wet, not to mention potential impacts to the trail itself.

TIA for any beta. Trying to get a fix on what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Well, this doesn't look promising. The organizer put out an update on Facebook that if any changes are needed, they would likely delay the start or end it early, but I don't know what to expect with this forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Well, this doesn't look promising. The organizer put out an update on Facebook that if any changes are needed, they would likely delay the start or end it early, but I don't know what to expect with this forecast.
Nobody knows if it will actually be a quarter inch of rain Friday. But if it is, I would expect to have throw-away-the-bike-afterwords conditions and zero fun.

You roll the dice...

#7 ·
Thanks, man; I decided to call it. Everything I'm seeing is calling for rain Thurs-Sun, with the steadiest and heaviest Friday and Saturday afternoons. I can't see the race not being truncated somehow, whether it's a delayed start and/or an early finish, and that's not worth the expense, 13+ hours of driving and trashed bike components. It's unfortunate, because I love this event and course, but it is what it is. If I were a local I'd come out, but not from Phoenix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.