Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
So far,so good:thumbsup:
140mm MRP Stage/190x50 McLeod no offset bushings.
I was so impressed how McLeod works, so I build Prime with 200x57 McLeod also.
For shuttle days will use MRP Raze,if mcleod will start packing
8+ months on long shocked phantom.
No more thoughts to return to stock monarch. Mc Leod is on of the best working,troublesfree shock I ever owned.
Now thinking about dropping fork travel to 130mm and installing -1,5° WC head set. IMG-20190612-WA0022.jpg
Same time experimenting with wife's short shocked (200x50) prime.140mm fork and dropouts in steep settings.
IMG-20190612-WA0023.jpg

·
Registered
845 Posts
I recently picked up a new 2017 V2 Phantom (Medium) to replace my 2015 V1, which had the McLeod long shock conversion. The new frame came with a Rock Shox Monarch, and I really wanted to give it a try because I had never run that shock before. But I just couldn't resist putting the McLeod on the new frame.

Same procedure as my Medium V1 frame, trim the front derailleur cable stop using a cut off wheel in a die grinder. I had to press out the upper shock spacer from the Monarch and press it into the McLeod because the V2 frame has a smaller upper shock mount spacing.

Just bumping this thread for anyone else that wants to long shock their V2 Phantom. I'm so glad I installed the McLeod. Can't wait to finish my build!

·
Registered
379 Posts

I've been running my long-shocked phantom as a 29er for over a year. Love it in that mode. Just a few days ago I thought I'd try 27.5+ again, but this time I left it in the slack setting. I figured that the long shock and 140mm fork has raised the bottom bracket enough to do this...

It actually feels really balanced, and I've ridden it through some very rocky trails now with minimal pedal strikes. Probably slackens the bike out a little more too. I like it! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice bike! That's my go-to setup. 140mm fork, 27.5x2.8 tires and slack setting.

View attachment 1351919
Nice. I like the look of Kashima on black.

I have to edit what I said about trying the 27.5 in the slack setting.... I looked at what I said a year ago and saw that I was doing the same thing then. And here I was thinking I had a new idea. I guess the more forgetful I get, the more "new ideas" I get to have ha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My long shocked mullet 29+/27,5+ phantom'15
130mm travel fork, 190x50 mcleod, -2° wc angle set, long dropouts at steep settings.
20200621_184223.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
My long shocked mullet 29+/27,5+ phantom'15
130mm travel fork, 190x50 mcleod, -2° wc angle set, long dropouts at steep settings.
View attachment 1353027
I'm running a mullet myself in low with a 130mm fork and was thinking about doing the long shock install. Did you use bushings at all? Any reason why you went with the -2° angle set?

Does anyone know how much of a change to geometry the long shock makes without the offset bushings?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Does anyone know how much of a change to geometry the long shock makes without the offset bushings?
I don't, but it's a good question. I've just assumed it comes close to balancing out the 140 fork I've got up front. Maybe someone with the math skills will chime in.

·
Registered
845 Posts
S​​usspect;14963687 said:
I don't, but it's a good question. I've just assumed it comes close to balancing out the 140 fork I've got up front. Maybe someone with the math skills will chime in.
Same here. I do know that the rear travel goes to almost 120mm with the shock change. Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it will help with the calculation.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Trying to understand what change it makes to the sta and hta of you don't use the offset bushings. According to what I've found each mm of offset at the bushing = .25* change to the sta & hta.

That would mean by not using the offset bushings and the shock being 6mm longer than stock you'll be making the bike 1.5* steeper (unsagged) at both the HT and ST.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Trying to understand what change it makes to the sta and hta of you don't use the offset bushings. According to what I've found each mm of offset at the bushing = .25* change to the sta & hta.

That would mean by not using the offset bushings and the shock being 6mm longer than stock you'll be making the bike 1.5* steeper (unsagged) at both the HT and ST.
That makes sense. So, with the shock at 6mm longer, I'm running about 2mm more sag (probably 30% sag), which only leaves 4mm longer or 1* HA change when sitting on the bike. In my case, my 140mm fork with a 30mm longer A/C than spec essentially negates that, so I'd be back to 67.5* in slack setting.

I am curious about how getting even slacker would change things. Thought about an angleset, but the free way to try this out would be to run it as a mullet. May try that soon.

·
Registered
845 Posts
S​​usspect;15008773 said:
That makes sense. So, with the shock at 6mm longer, I'm running about 2mm more sag (probably 30% sag), which only leaves 4mm longer or 1* HA change when sitting on the bike. In my case, my 140mm fork with a 30mm longer A/C than spec essentially negates that, so I'd be back to 67.5* in slack setting.

I am curious about how getting even slacker would change things. Thought about an angleset, but the free way to try this out would be to run it as a mullet. May try that soon.
I've run my bike as a mullet before, and did not like it for general trail riding. It was way too floppy in the front when riding slow stuff.

It was pretty good for DH trails.

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
What kind of bottom bracket heights did the long shock give?

Seems like there will be some variance to the answer since some needed offset bushings and some don't, seems like most did a 130mm fork but a few 140mm.

I saw a couple people using anglesets to slack out the bike, was that to drop the bike back down and lower the BB?

thanks!

the 140mm/120mm mullet looks like fun!! :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
What kind of bottom bracket heights did the long shock give?

Seems like there will be some variance to the answer since some needed offset bushings and some don't, seems like most did a 130mm fork but a few 140mm.

I saw a couple people using anglesets to slack out the bike, was that to drop the bike back down and lower the BB?

thanks!

the 140mm/120mm mullet looks like fun!! :)
I have the long shock, no offset bushings. Medium V2 frame, 27.5x2.8 Nobby Nic tires/wheels. 140mm fox 34 fork. I measured my BB height today and it's about 330mm. That's with dropouts in slack/low mode.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have 140mm fork. With 29ers (2.5F/2.3R) I measured about 13.5" BB height (342mm); in mullet mode with a 27.5x2.8 rear tire it came down to about 13 3/8" (339 mm).

*I personally guarantee these measurements are accurate within a range of 10mm*

I ride some trails with lots of rocks. I'm used to the 29er BB height, and got a few pedal strikes while adjusting to mullet. In other words, BB height seems just right to me, long-shocked with the 140 fork.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm running a mullet myself in low with a 130mm fork and was thinking about doing the long shock install. Did you use bushings at all? Any reason why you went with the -2° angle set?

Sorry for late reply
as somebody mentioned above, long shock is making HTA and STA 1.5° steeper.
So with -2° angleset and dropouts in neutral position, I'm getting almost same geometry as phantom has with normal shock and dropouts in a slack mode. (In my case with 130mm fork HTA is ~67°)
Mullet I'm usually running with dropouts in a steep mode.
Geo remains the same as running 29 wheels with dropouts in a neutral mode.
And if I want to make my phantom a mini-prime, I'm running it with 29 wheels and dropouts in a slack mode. (130mm fork 66,5°HTA, lower BB)
P.S. I'm not running offset bushings.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Circumstance has pushed me into riding a mullet setup for the past few weeks (broke the axle on my 29er rear). I have actually come to like it this way, not for any "flickability" or whatever the promotional term is for mullets (don't notice that), but simply for the slacker angles. (I'd rather not have the slacker seat tube angle, but I'm okay with it, just sliding forward a bit more on steep climbs). I'm using it for general trail rides, with both ups and downs, chunky sections etc... dare I say I like it better like this? Totally takes the pressure of fixing my old wheel.

My only problem now is I could kind of use a new wheelset, and don't know if I can commit to the extent of buying new mullet. If/when I end up with a different bike it would likely not transfer over.

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
I'm surprised you don't feel a difference in the way the bike carves with the smaller rear wheel. But for sure the slacker front end and lower bottom bracket are part of the total feel mullets bring.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm surprised you don't feel a difference in the way the bike carves with the smaller rear wheel.
Oh, is that what what "flickable" means... I always thought it had something to do with maneuverability in the air ha.

So I'd have to think about that the next time I ride... but the Phantom has always been pretty great at carving/cornering as a 29er.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts