Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Excellent niknaim! I was looking at it again last night and thought the same thing.

I was thinking maybe grind the 2mm off of the ISCG tab. Thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Edit - I re-read your post and it appears there is a different spot than I am seeing that needs grinding.

This is what I am talking about:

Upper edge is obligatory, lower part also grinded a little for the looks.

·
Registered
845 Posts
This is what I am talking about:

Upper edge is obligatory, lower part also grinded a little for the looks.
Thank you niknaim. I will likely pull the trigger on the McLeod shock in the next day or 2. Will post up when I get it installed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
McLeod is installed, and I did not have to grind anything on my shock linkage to fit my Medium frame.

How much sag should I run with the increased travel? Also, what does everyone do with the compression lever? Should I run it in number 1 all the time, or swap depending on terrain? Where I live it's very short climbs and descents.

Thanks!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I ended up setting sag at 25%, so about 12.5mm. This was equal to about 105psi for my 175lbs.

First ride last night and wow is this shock plush! I initially rode with the IPA lever in #1 position so it was just soaking up all the trail chatter and the rear wheel was sticking to the ground.

I eventually started messing with the other IPA settings to get more pedal platform for standing and mashing. 2 and 3 are better for all around trail riding.

I'm going to have to get a remote lever now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Still watching this post with interest, though I don't have much to offer on the shock settings. Looks like you're off and running with it though.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on how it changes the phantom's overall ride quality, where can you feel the differences etc. Also, if you ended up using offset bushings or not...

On another note, I demoed a Kona process 153 last week on our most rugged local trail, as I was curious how (lots) more travel would affect my riding experience. I was surprised to find that I barely noticed the extra travel. I used it, but wasn't blown away by it. And when I got back on my phantom, I liked the overall body positioning and trail feel even more. Go figure.

Anyway when I do replace my current shock I might try the 190... so keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Second ride last night. I'm using mostly IPA settings 2 and 3. I open it up for extended downhill sections which, in my local area are only about 10-20 seconds long. And I use #4 if we're climbing, also very short distances. I really would like to install a bar mounted remote lever. I feel like this shock would really benefit from that.

I can definitely feel the plushness when I'm pedaling hard, but I don't mind. It is worth it when the going gets rough and my back wheel is firmly planted. The bike sits much taller now, so I'm thinking of putting my 175mm cranks back on, currently running 165mm. I'm also probably going to swap my dropouts to the low setting, currently in high. Keep in mind, I am running 27.5x2.8 wheels/tires. I do switch to 29 wheels for bike park days.

I did not use any offset bushings, mostly because I did not want to pay for them, and the shock fit so why bother, right?

My fork (fox 34 140mm) now feels like crap in comparison to the rear end. The bike feels unbalanced, and I really want some of the same plushness up front.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You may want to give Avalanche Suspension Tuning a call and ask about the AVY cartridge, heard they really are awesome.

.........My fork (fox 34 140mm) now feels like crap in comparison to the rear end. The bike feels unbalanced, and I really want some of the same plushness up front.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Lynx. I would love to buy an Avy cartridge, but $449 just for the cartridge!

I ride with guys that have it and they say nothing but good things, plus Avalanche is in my home state. Still, I can't justify it right now.

I've been messing with the volume reducers and I thought it was decent. Until I installed the McLeod.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wow, didn't realise it was that expensive, must be why I haven't gone for one yet, must have looked and saw the price and erased it from my mind :D How old is your Fox, is it one of the newer ones, 2017> or older ones? If it's an older one, might be worth tracking down one of the new air springs, they do make a major improvement over the older air spring and how the fork works and feels.

Thanks Lynx. I would love to buy an Avy cartridge, but $449 just for the cartridge!

I ride with guys that have it and they say nothing but good things, plus Avalanche is in my home state. Still, I can't justify it right now.

I've been messing with the volume reducers and I thought it was decent. Until I installed the McLeod.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow, didn't realise it was that expensive, must be why I haven't gone for one yet, must have looked and saw the price and erased it from my mind :D How old is your Fox, is it one of the newer ones, 2017> or older ones? If it's an older one, might be worth tracking down one of the new air springs, they do make a major improvement over the older air spring and how the fork works and feels.
My Fox is from 2011, but I had it rebuilt by Fox a couple years ago. They updated the internals to a Fit RLC damper. It also has Kashima, so it's a quality fork, but it needs a service, and possibly tuning.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ouch, yeah, they've done some major improvements on the air spring since then, sometime around 2017 they introduced the retrofit air spring for 2014 and up models, not sure if it would fit an older model. So if your fork wasn't upgraded to that, it would be a major improvement.

My Fox is from 2011, but I had it rebuilt by Fox a couple years ago. They updated the internals to a Fit RLC damper. It also has Kashima, so it's a quality fork, but it needs a service, and possibly tuning.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I can definitely feel the plushness when I'm pedaling hard, but I don't mind. It is worth it when the going gets rough and my back wheel is firmly planted. The bike sits much taller now.
Sounds like the new shock performs a lot better than the one you pulled off. As a bystander, it's hard to separate how much of your enthusiasm is coming from the better performance of the McLeod, and how much may be coming from the small increase in available travel. Do you feel like the extra ~ 15mm is a big factor in how nice the ride is? My bike rides kind of low (pedal strikes) with 27.5+, so lifting it a touch wouldn't hurt my feelings.

And is the McLeod the ~ $220 version that I've seen on Chain Reaction? If so I'm surprised, in a good way, that it feels that much better than the pricey Cane Creek you were running previously. I've got the cheaper CC shock and I've been pretty happy, maybe ignorance is bliss...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, that's the shock.

I'm not sure what is the reason for my liking the new shock. It could be a little bit of both. I'll admit, I did not mess with the settings of the DBiL much, I just went with the recommended settings from CC.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ok cool. One last question, did you have to do anything with mounting hardware... did the stuff you had on your frame fit with the McLeod, or did you have to source some bits elsewhere? Thanks in advance.
Good question. I did not have to buy anything. All of the hardware I had for the Cane Creek fit the McLeod perfectly.

I do need to source some new rubber seals that were on the old hardware, but they are just to keep the dirt out of the shock hardware, and the old ones are fine for that.
McLeod.jpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
Very cool! Let us know how it works out, and good luck!
All hooked up and had my first ride today. Very nice. I'd agree with everything you said about the shock, plusher than the Cane Creek I was running. On today's ride, I never used the full travel, so really was just riding within the designed range of motion, but it was smoother.

Longer shock lifts the rear, as mentioned above. I compensated by flipping the chips into the slack setting (I only have two to choose from, and had been in steep with 27.5+ wheels). Early impression is the new shock works well with the 140mm fork I put on a few months ago; now I'm curious how the 29ers might ride. I pulled them off right after I got the longer fork, because things felt a little too slacked out (was in slack chip position at the time).

If I have one observation about the impact on geometry, it's that long-shocking probably makes the most sense when we're running a longer fork too. I feel like I've been able to keep the basic angles close to the original.

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
All hooked up and had my first ride today. Very nice. I'd agree with everything you said about the shock, plusher than the Cane Creek I was running. On today's ride, I never used the full travel, so really was just riding within the designed range of motion, but it was smoother.

Longer shock lifts the rear, as mentioned above. I compensated by flipping the chips into the slack setting (I only have two to choose from, and had been in steep with 27.5+ wheels). Early impression is the new shock works well with the 140mm fork I put on a few months ago; now I'm curious how the 29ers might ride. I pulled them off right after I got the longer fork, because things felt a little too slacked out (was in slack chip position at the time).

If I have one observation about the impact on geometry, it's that long-shocking probably makes the most sense when we're running a longer fork too. I feel like I've been able to keep the basic angles close to the original.
Awesome! Glad you like the shock. I'm always nervous about giving my opinion on stuff, especially suspension, since it really is subjective.

I may swap my flip chips to the slack setting as well. Currently in steep.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts