Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
...In the meantime.
216 Posts
anyone have any weights to report on their full builds and what their specs are?
I'll play, Size Large, 32.2lbs with the stock Fox Float DPX2, right at 33 with the DVO Jade X.

Build specs (the major bits anyway):
MRP Ribbon Air set to 130mm
Provided headset
Syntace Megaforce stem 50mmx 6degree
Spank oozy 780 vibrocore bar 25mm rise
DT Swiss XM 421 rims laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs (32hole), Dt comp race spokes, Cushcore XC in the rear wheel
Continental Trail King Apex Protection 2.4 F, Crossking Apex Protection 2.3 R
Hope E4 Evo brakes, Tech 3 levers, sintered pads
TRP 2 piece rotors, 180mm F and R
Wheels MFG BB for Shimano
Shimano XT m8100 crank, 34t ring
Shimano XT 8100 cassette, 10-51
Shimano XTR 12 Spd chain
SRAM X01 shifter
SRAM X01 rear derailleur
Rockshox Reverb post 175mm w/ Bikeyoke dehy adaptor
Bikeyoke triggy lever
SDG Duster saddle
Supacaz grips
Various cables and housing and a Lezyne bottle cage.

It has a very planted quiet feel, something you wouldn't consider a 115mm bike to have.

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
Only got in a quick ride, but OMG what a fun bike!!! PERFECT 2nd bike to go with a longer travel bike. PERFECT hardtail replacement for me old bonzes...

20201201_164709_.jpg

20201201_165538+.jpg

20201201_165559_.jpg

Dang internal routing was a PITA! The downtube has a "lip" at the end and stops cables from pushing through and my hands are too big and my fingers are too stubby to get in there. First one wasn't too bad, but by the time I was adding the 3rd cable/2nd in the same channel it was a *****! Took WAY longer than I thought. Then my nephew wanted to go riding so I grabbed an old bike and we spent the last warm day for a while to come goofing around the neighborhood till late.

SO, I kind of never "quite" finished building it Sunday, had to quit and never got back to it yesterday. But today after work I just grabbed the bike and rode it. So shock pressure was just whatever I threw in after measuring the chain links at full compression. Seemed a "little" stiff? Will pry throw a larger volume spacer in it and give it another go actually paying attention to the air spring this time. But I rode it full open with only throwing some more rebound clicks and it was good!! So I'm sure it will get better!!

The other thing is I mangled the hydraulic hose insert/barb? and I got some weeping at the connector. I need to get a vice so I can hold the line better and try again. (FMe the barby thing got a LOT bigger than the last time I did that... Thing did NOT want to go in...)

SO anyway, rear suspension wasn't set up and I didn't want to use my brakes too much. (terrain I rode was pretty mellow) Hell I rode for a few minutes before I stopped to check and found out I hadn't really tightened my stem yet... :)

But what a great frame! If my Evo doesn't turn up I would be totally happy adding a Titan to go with the Phantom. And hell I'm sure I could live with a Prime as a Unicorn.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My frame showed up today. I can’t wait to get it out on a test ride tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
My frame showed up today. I can’t wait to get it out on a test ride tomorrow!

Enjoy! Hope your better with internal routing than me!! :)

We woke up to several inches of snow when we were only supposed to get a dusting in the mountains. So glad I rode last night!! :)

Though the 2.8 mullet rear wheel and front 2.6 are not bad in the snow. So if it's sticks and I get time after sledding I'll go see how she does in the white stuff...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks. Internal routing wasn't too bad, I've dealt with worse for sure.

I am going to start out with 29er in the long chain stay, in the neutral position and see how it goes. I have the short stays, as well as a 27.5+ wheelset I may play around with as well.

I just need to get a DUB BB tool to finish the build today. Stupid new standards...:madman:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a large prime v3 with the supplied dpx2 shock. I have 150psi in it to get 15mm shock sag, so not a lot, and am running out of rebound range. It is still too fast even with the rebound fully closed. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
At 85 kg I run 205 psi in the dpx2, sag is about 12 mm.. Rebound 7 clicks from closed.
What is your weight?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I run 275 psi; fox recommends 3 clicks from full closed. I go a little faster and run 5.

At 150psi, you should probably have rebound set almost full open (counterclockwise towards the minus sign). Just to check, turn the knob all the way opposite you normally turn it and see what it feels like. If rebound speed changes, then shock is probably working ok. If nothing changes, you might have an issue with the shock.

At your weight, I don't think having it fully closed (clockwise) is ever gonna be right unless you riding super smooth jump lines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks green. I think there is an issue with the shock, I swapped the dpx2 with a dvo topaz and the rebound can be set just right.
The supplied dpx2 has a rla014 rebound shim stack which is very light, I was trying to work out whether it was just the shim stack being too light or some other assemblyissue with the shock. I'll send it back for a warranty claim and see what that say. The topaz seems pretty nice so far so may not go back to the dpx2 even if they fix it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Inaugural ride went well, no major issues. Bike climbs great and was fun in the tight twisty trails. Rear suspension felt good, allowed me to play around on jumps and drops like I like without the jolt my hardtail produced.
Need to work on getting the fork dialed in a bit more but overall very pleased.

For bike fit, I am glad I bought the XL frame. I’m 6’2” with a 75” wingspan and the reach/TT feels great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a V3 frame on order. This is my first time building up a frame and not just buying a complete bike and I have a question as I'm planning things out. I'll be using older non-boost wheels with the 142 dropouts and new Race Face cinch cranks -- anything I need to do to make sure I have a decent chainline? I'm using an 11 speed XT drivetrain.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a V3 frame on order. This is my first time building up a frame and not just buying a complete bike and I have a question as I'm planning things out. I'll be using older non-boost wheels with the 142 dropouts and new Race Face cinch cranks -- anything I need to do to make sure I have a decent chainline? I'm using an 11 speed XT drivetrain.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
It all comes down to your chainring, in your case. Just make sure you're using the non-Boost chainring option (though I remember a few years ago Race Face stock rings were just 1 offset that sat between ideal Boost and non-Boost, may not be true anymore)

I'm considering a Phantom to accompany my Titan, maybe early next year. I've been using my Titan as a do-everything, but a super snappy bike like the Phantom sounds like a great partner for some of my high-mileage rides when the Titan gets a bit pig-ish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks zhendo. I have a raceface chainring on hand already from an old bike. I'll try that out and if the chainline seems off I'll look into other chainring options.
Super fun to build something up from a frame for the first time, but I'm learning about all the little details that need attention. Also definitely easy to underestimate cost!
I'll report back after it's built and I have some trail time on it. Can't wait!

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
Been thinking about a new fork, I need a little more stack and the fork from my hardtail doesn't have enough steerer tube length. Got a stem with more rise, i'ts a 42mm and I just ordered a 50mm to try it AND thinking about cutting down my bars a bit? BUT probably should just bite the bullet and order a new fork...? :)

New wheels for it. had a set of 29er sentry/101's. but was waiting for a matching 27.5 Flow/101 rear. Have had that WTB scrapper 45ID with a 2.8 on the back of 4 bikes. For hardtails it was great, even for FS the traction is awesome! BUT you do get that extra wallow from the big tire. So I'm going to try a 2.6 tire on the back. And the flow back, sentry front will emulate the cool new wider rim on the front idea... :) Then got 170 cranks cause I'll pry get a little BB drop from that change.

GREAT BIKE!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just built up my Phantom. I got a good deal on a shop demo frame. I wish it were raw aluminum, but the black is stealth. I've only ridden it on snow with spikes tires at 10 psi (ie. paddy cake compared to summer), so I can't say too much about it yet, but I love the seated position. Stack feels high, but I've coming from a 27.5 bike, so I'm sure I'll get used to that. Even at the speeds I've going, you can feel how stiff the frame is.

Long wait for spring!

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
I just built up my Phantom. I got a good deal on a shop demo frame. I wish it were raw aluminum, but the black is stealth. I've only ridden it on snow with spikes tires at 10 psi (ie. paddy cake compared to summer), so I can't say too much about it yet, but I love the seated position. Stack feels high, but I've coming from a 27.5 bike, so I'm sure I'll get used to that. Even at the speeds I've going, you can feel how stiff the frame is.

Long wait for spring!
What travel is your fork? And are your dropouts in Steep/High due to running 27.5 wheels?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fork at 140mm with 27.5. It's in high to get the BB up. Riding on snow, there is only the odd rock that pokes through, so BB height doesn't matter so much. I really can't tell much about how it rides till I get it on dirt. I do plan on running it as a mullet.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Fork at 140mm with 27.5. It's in high to get the BB up. Riding on snow, there is only the odd rock that pokes through, so BB height doesn't matter so much. I really can't tell much about how it rides till I get it on dirt. I do plan on running it as a mullet.
I'm running my V2 Phantom the same way. I have a McLeod rear shock that gives me around 120mm of rear travel too. Feels great!

Enjoy the bike.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts