Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
:ihih: Where are you located? We ship across the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Demos and test rides are not as easy...
I feel a little weird asking...but has anyone ever mentioned your avatar is quite phallic looking? If it's meant to, bravo...I think it's pretty funny. That's all ;-)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Anyone going long on the drop outs and running a 29X2.8?

I've been beating up a hardtail Krampus for a few years now, just put a 2.8 Rekon on it...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have long drop outs on my Phantom V2. I run 29x2.6 Maxxis Ardents. I got the long drop outs for 10mm extra tire clearance in the swing arm. I also really like the longer wheel base.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got enough miles on my Phantom now that I'm starting to get a good feel for it.

Climbing wise the bike is phenomenal. Very comfortable seated position with the steep SA and longer stays, but also feels natural out of saddle with the reasonable reach. No, its not the lightest bike in its category but its also not the heaviest (my build is around 30-31lbs w pedals). That said the bike accelerates well, and has pretty much no discernible pedal bob, even with the sag on the deeper side of the recommended range. I leave the shock (dpx2) fully open at all times. Overall the suspension has a firm sporty feel while still providing traction when climbing techy stuff. Goldilocks for me

The bike felt so good climbing out the box I was a bit concerned about its descending, but I quickly realized there was nothing to worry about. The bike is incredibly balanced thanks to the dialed geo, yet still maintains short travel precision. I wouldn't say the bike feels like it has more travel than it does, but the suspension never hangs up and tends to skip over bigger hits that 115mm cannot absorb, and I have yet to experience a harsh bottom out even after hitting some mid sized flat drops and jumps. Frame seems to be very well constructed, the rear end feels as stiff if not stiffer than my 170mm enduro bike without being harsh as some aluminum frames can feel when paired with carbon wheels.

My only slight complaints about the bike is that the tire clearance is pretty bad with the short dropouts, and while I would swap them out for the long ones I feel the chainstays are already a bit on the longer side for a bike like this.

Sorry for writing a novel but I'm just amazed by this bike, it blows the other short travel 29ers I have ridden out of the water (Tallboy3, Tallboy4, SJ ST if anyone wants a comparison). This is my first Banshee but it certainly wont be my last

·
Registered
18 Posts

My XL Phantom, 6'5" for reference

Build:
Nextie rims laced to dt350 hubs
Xt 11speed
Zee brakes
Oneup 210mm dropper
Fox 34 rhythm, soon to be replaced by Pike
Enve DH bars
Deity 50mm stem
Specialized Butcher 2.3F, Eliminator 2.3R

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome review taiki, good to hear that the reviews of the frame are well founded so far!

Onto a slightly different side of things, does anyone regret getting the color of the frame they got?

Trying to see if I like the red decals on the raw or prefer the black anodize but can't really decide as I did initially want the raw with black/blue decals but unfortunately that does not exist for the Phantom :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have long drop outs on my Phantom V2. I run 29x2.6 Maxxis Ardents. I got the long drop outs for 10mm extra tire clearance in the swing arm. I also really like the longer wheel base.
Interesting, I'm on a V2 Phantom and compared to the V3 on paper, one thing that stands out is V3 gets a longer wheelbase. My size medium has 1150mm, on V3 that grows to 1200 - 2 whole inches. Since reading that I've been trying to imagine what a longer wheelbase would feel like. If you use longer dropouts to increase wheelbase, I guess that would just be adding to chainstay length - how much does it add, and how does it feel?

Notably there is no change between V2 and V3 chainstay length - so those two inches must all come from longer front-center measurement.

In the interest of protecting my pocketbook, I've convinced myself I like the short wheelbase for maneuverability but I've had nothing to compare it to (recently sold a hardtail that had 1150 WB too).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Some context:My frame is a Large, I have a 140mm Fox 34 Fork with a -1 Works Component Headset.

My wheel base is about 1196mm and my seat stays are about 453mm. That puts me at the V3 medium wheel base, with longer seat stays than any V3 model. There are several things that have increased my wheel base: -1 headset, long fork and long drop outs.

The long drop outs are 10mm longer that the ones that came with the frame.

I have a Fox DPX2 shock running the stock rear travel: 105mm

I rode the V2 Phantom like this on the 2019 BCBR. I had no issue climbing and downhill was very controlled and confidence inspiring. This is my dream setup. I really like it.

So for not much money you can try out a longer wheel base with the long dropouts and see if it works for you. This is another reason I really like Banshee. The frame is somewhat "tuneable".

I seemed to have pre-empted the V3 changes (except increased travel) with my rear shock, long drop outs, -1 headset and longer travel fork. I am not yet convinced that I need to replace my V2 with a V3.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awesome review taiki, good to hear that the reviews of the frame are well founded so far!

Onto a slightly different side of things, does anyone regret getting the color of the frame they got?

Trying to see if I like the red decals on the raw or prefer the black anodize but can't really decide as I did initially want the raw with black/blue decals but unfortunately that does not exist for the Phantom :(
I have the raw/red. I have never been a fan of red bikes, so I would have preferred raw/black like the Titan. Having said that, the red isn't that big of a deal in the end. The decals don't dominate the look and the red/raw combo is growing on me. It helps that the Phantom rides great and is a really fun bike. Fast always looks good.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Climbing wise the bike is phenomenal...

Overall the suspension has a firm sporty feel while still providing traction when climbing techy stuff....

...the rear end feels as stiff if not stiffer than my 170mm enduro bike...

My only slight complaints about the bike is that the tire clearance is pretty bad with the short dropouts...
Great review! I have had many of the same thoughts while riding my Phantom. I guess I need to sit down a write my own review at some point.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Bought a medium Phantom frame and discovered the max seat post insertion is only 190mm! Something to be aware of when buying. 1st world problems I know but that aint good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Update. After being away for a couple of months, I've had a solid two weeks of riding, and I am finally starting to find some flow on the Phantom V3.

It has taken me longer than expected to manage the long wheelbase. I'm either too early or usually too late with my turn in as I have to wait for the rear tire following more to the inside than I am used to. When I mess up, I'm off the trail and in the rough. But when I get the line right, the magic happens as I find the balance and grip of this bike really rewards a good, smooth line. I could use body English with my lightweight Flux to make quick adjustments that I can't pull off on the Phantom due to the difference in length and weight.

I give a lot of credit for the great balance of the Phantom thanks to the lack of brake dive from the MRP Ribbon fork, though I wish I could make the travel more linear. It is super plush at low psi, but still has too much compression dampening and ramp-up for me, even with everything opened up. I'm hoping MRP can better tune it for me over the winter, even if that means getting some dive under braking.

I do hope I can settle on suspension setup soon. I had everything balanced with a firm, yet compliant ride, but now that I've softened the fork a bit more I feel like I need to slow down the rebound in the rear to find a new balance point without added rear sag. The bushings should be worn in by now. I'm tired of fiddling but want plush, active, high speed compliance for the Midwest hardpack.

As for the numbing hands, I rode today with an Ergon style cork grip, and it really didn't help at all. I'm disappointed in that I'll have to add heavier risers as a potential fix. I don't notice it when I'm cranking, but later in a session it starts to bother me.

My conclusion today is that I still have very little buyers remorse. I would like a similar setup that is 6 pounds lighter, but I really like the Phantom and proud to own a Banshee. It is the right bike at the right time for me. It's very well built, durable, and it's geometry is spot on for my old body.

No bike picture today, but one of a summer storm cutting short an afternoon of surfing.

StormSmall.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bought a medium Phantom frame and discovered the max seat post insertion is only 190mm! Something to be aware of when buying. 1st world problems I know but that aint good.
190? Its geometry chart listed 212mm for Medium and increases from there. Anyways, 212 is still unacceptably short in my opinion.

I was close to pulling the trigger at the V3 frame, until I saw the max insertion number. Its seat tube length is already kind of long by today's standard. With my proportion, I could probably only fit a OneUp V2 dropper at 150mm travel, at most. You could argue 150mm travel is sufficient but any other of their competitors are able to fit much longer dropper with ease.

But yes, I agree with you, first world problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got a Phantom V3 as sort of a replacement to my hardtail. I love the bike, but it's almost too much like my 2019 Jeffsy coil with 150mm rear travel. I put on a DVO Topaz T3. It absorbs the small stuff really well and can take a big hit surprisingly close to the Jeffsy with a coil(I like to hit some decent drops and jumps). It bobs a bit but doesn't bog down. The long chainstays corner like a dream but unless you raise the stack height it's more planted than I expected. I'm 6'3 with 33" inseams and 50mm stem on an XL. The bike has great balance. It's pretty heavy and not the snappiest so it's not exactly a rocketship or big BMX. It's a rad bike that I don't have to tippy toe with a great balance of trail feedback and sendability. I just don't know who exactly it's for
I would love to hear more about your experience with the Phantom replacing your hardtail. I am in the process of shopping for a hardtail replacement, as my back and knee's just can't keep up with how I like to ride any more.

TIA

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
I would love to hear more about your experience with the Phantom replacing your hardtail. I am in the process of shopping for a hardtail replacement, as my back and knee's just can't keep up with how I like to ride any more.

TIA
I'd like to hear more on that too...

"Hardtail replacement" is why I ordered one too. You read about everyone riding the Phantom past it's suspension travel and then wonderind what the bikes for, if it makes more sense to just get a Prime, etc.

BUT, that's exactly how you ride a hardtail. Primarily you ride it based on it's build and geometry and then skill set. It's not like you shy away from how you ride it because it doesn't have enough rear travel or question the hardtails place because it lacks rear travel, etc.

BUT, for myself bouncing back and fourth between bikes I just started to wonder if I'm beating myself up on the hardtail for no reason. I mean it is nice to have a bike with no pivots to go wrong so you can always go ride. But it's not like 10-15 years ago when full suspension bikes seemed to randomly fall apart or seize up for no reason and you'd be stuck without a bike. (in my experience anyway) SO no reason not to just add another full suspension bike with a different ride characteristic?

And then the thing with Banshee is timing/stock status. (well at this point the entire industry is that way) I was all set to order a Titan to replace my Sentinel last summer and then by the time I made up my mind they were out of stock. In this case I was mostly looking at last years Stumpy ST which is lighter and has the SWAT. BUT in the end I went with the Phantom because the geometry is better IMO. AND it said Phantoms were in stock!!

So waiting for my shipping notification to start ordering a couple other small parts so I can get her built up!!

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
Did you try it mullet since you have the wheel sizes? I've liked that set up the most on my hardtail. (though I was making up for an older steep HTA on that bike) I'll try all three wheel set ups eventually. Never know what will feel best and probably will be one of those things where one set up works better for some situations...?

I was really on the fence about which dropout kit to get with the frame because I knew I wanted to mullet first and a longer rear end would help with ground clearance. But the Phantom already has decent long stays so I thought I'd just try the compact set up first.

Come on shipping notification!! :)

(It's so funny how one day your totally content with what your riding, but the second you've started thinking about a new bike/frame it's like the most important thing ever...)

41 - 60 of 80 Posts