Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone riding a Phantom V3 yet? It's on my short list of new frames and I am looking for some real world input.

·
Registered
100 Posts
After about a seven year hiatus from the forums, and giving up on Turner making another DW Flux, I recently purchased an XL Phantom V3. I'm assembling this week in my spare time with Eagle drivetrain and MRP fork. When the trails dry out here in KC, in a week or so, I'll report back.

I'm a tall guy who loves quick, short travel 26ers, but I've passed middle age and chose the Phantom for its geometry (I'm getting too old for endos) and hopefully pedaling efficiency, along with the brand being 'the little guy' and its principals activity on the interwebs like Dave Turner (I'm a recovering DW and Turner Homer). I'm not looking forward to the added 29er weight compared to my XC bikes, but I'm hoping I can adjust my style to accommodate.

Anyway, I'm back because Pandemic, and Mike from Banshee.

G.

Edit: can't figure out how to post a photo. Page not displaying well on my Samsung.

·
shy of 60
172 Posts
After about a seven year hiatus from the forums, and giving up on Turner making another DW Flux, I recently purchased an XL Phantom V3. I'm assembling this week in my spare time with Eagle drivetrain and MRP fork. When the trails dry out here in KC, in a week or so, I'll report back.

I'm not looking forward to the added 29er weight compared to my XC bikes, but I'm hoping I can adjust my style to accommodate.

Anyway, I'm back because Pandemic, and Mike from Banshee.

G.

Short travel 29ers are great.....depending were you ride, and given how great bikes are these days, you will not be disappointed! I came from an old fully rigid trek with v-brakes about 8 years ago, to a kona process 111 - crazy fun bike. Phantom was on my list at the time. Let us know how you like it.

I 2nd the little manufacturer concept, as my current ride is an alloy smash.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe this works:

20200416_190338.jpg

I'm living in the 'Show Me' state now.

I hate technology, but subscribe to the internet ideology that if you don't have photos, if probably didn't happen.

G.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I've been on a V3 for a few weeks now, coming from a Ripley V4.

Never really got on with the Ripley on the descents. So far the Banshee is much more confidence inspiring on the fast stuff.

The Ripley obviously feels more spry on the ups, but I'll take that trade of for a more neutral feeling in the air, faster cornering and tons more of frame stiffness.

I have a Manitou Mara Pro on it right now with a DVO Jade incoming tomorrow. I was worried the Jade X reservoir wouldn't fit width-wise.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I think some of it can be attributed to the lower weight, and some to the DW. After riding the Phantom the Ripley feels "fragile" if that makes any sense. I'll charge into obstacles with the Phantom that would cause me pause with the Ripley.

Ripley V4 DW feels more supple on the small stuff, but also blows thru travel much more easily.

Overall I much prefer the Phantom after riding them back to back multiple times. Not to mention the brushed alloy is a unicorn nowadays in carbonland.

I'm probably going to slap some 29+ tires on at some point just for giggles.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Look what we have here...

Also, just picked up a set of 27.5+ wheels to try out.

Anyone running a plus setup?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
How are you keeping that piggyback from contacting the frame? Or is there more room in the shock cage than the angle of the picture indicates?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
After riding the Phantom the Ripley feels "fragile" if that makes any sense.
On one hand it surprises me that you would call the V4 Ripley fragile. I have never seen a V4 Ripley in person, but own a Ripmo. Given the similarities between Ripley V4 and Ripmo frames, I figured the V4 would be pretty solid.

On the other hand... I can see how pretty much any bike may feel a little fragile in a direct comparison to a Banshee. The two Banshees that I have owned have been SOLID.

I'll charge into obstacles with the Phantom that would cause me pause with the Ripley.
I think that my old flo yellow Prime was the king of all bikes that I have owned in this regard. It was really good at ye olde "that looks sketchy, wonder if I can make it?" maneuver.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
On one hand it surprises me that you would call the V4 Ripley fragile. I have never seen a V4 Ripley in person, but own a Ripmo. Given the similarities between Ripley V4 and Ripmo frames, I figured the V4 would be pretty solid.

On the other hand... I can see how pretty much any bike may feel a little fragile in a direct comparison to a Banshee. The two Banshees that I have owned have been SOLID.

I think that my old flo yellow Prime was the king of all bikes that I have owned in this regard. It was really good at ye olde "that looks sketchy, wonder if I can make it?" maneuver.
You hit the nail on the head, comparatively speaking it feels fragile .

I've yet to own a frame that's as rock solid as a Banshee.
How are you keeping that piggyback from contacting the frame? Or is there more room in the shock cage than the angle of the picture indicates?
It's the angle, there's plenty of room for the reservoir.

·
No Clue Crew
7,084 Posts
Interesting observations. I could make a similar comparison between the Ripmo and the Titan.

I'm not sure "fragile" is the word I'd have chosen, but thinking about it, it makes sense.

The Ripmo (and the new Ripley) are fine bicycles. I've argued that, for many folks, the Ripmo might well be the perfect bike. And then you ride the Titan in proper terrain and it's a world more solid. And fast.

For reference, I'm off the Ripmo, same build, onto the Titan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Done with the build and bed the brakes today. I have two initial observations from riding around the neighborhood. I'm so glad I purchased the XL frame. I'm looking for the 'in the bike' feel, and the XL barely gets me there. The second observation is about the weight and comparisons to lighter bikes above. I agree with stout. As-is, this bike is not a sprinter for me, and I need to practice getting the front end up before I try any drops for sure. But here's the thing... I can't believe I'm saying this... it does pedal on climbs like a lighter bike. It's about 6 pounds heavier than my DW Turner Flux 26er, half of that is probably in the wheels and tires.

20200422_132209_compress84.jpg

XL 26er Flux vs XL 29er Phantom

G.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
It's just keeps getting better and better.

I can't recommend the coil enough for this bike, really brings it alive.

·
...In the meantime.
216 Posts
If anyone is wondering the DVO Jade X coil does fit this frame...and it's amazing! As others have said "this bike rips'

524 Posts
If anyone is wondering the DVO Jade X coil does fit this frame...and it's amazing! As others have said "this bike rips'
The Jade X DOES NOT FIT the Titan or Rune (65mm stroke).

Can you post a picture of the shock on the Phantom fully compressed for confirmation?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts