Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got my V2 built up with 27.5x2.8 on 30mm internal width rims. I have stock dropouts, are those short or long? Idk.

I also have 140mm fork and McLeod shock (190x50mm). Running in the slack setting, and yes, a lot of pedal strikes. But what a fun and playful bike!

I might change over to the high/steep setting.
Have you build it with out plus size tyres at all?

Wondering what Keith’s thoughts are on making one a regular 27.5 XC weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
Have you build it with out plus size tyres at all?

Wondering what Keith’s thoughts are on making one a regular 27.5 XC weapon

I've never tried any tires less than 2.8 in 27.5 mode. I measured my BB height today and it's about 330mm. That's with dropouts in slack/low mode.

If you switch to steep/high mode, you might be fine with XC tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi all,

I just wanted to check back in after several rides with the new V2. Loving it so far! I read a lot before buying about how it inspires confidence when riding, and it certainly does so over the '06 Sugar 293 i was riding previously. Even though the rear suspension has similar travel as the sugar, it rides much softer smoothing out the trails. The biggest improvement of course is the more slack front end since the sugar had a 71.5 degree HT angle.

The only minor cons I've found is that its a bit heavy, but I knew that coming in. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and build. I just need to get out more to improve myself and grow into the bike.

Here are some updated and better photos.

PS - if anyone know how to get rid of the thumbnails below, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello
almost close to swap my Jet 9 Carbon 2017 with a Phantom 2019 (not the w3).
Really happy of my Jet 9 but willing to change....
Luckily almost all component fits...just a doubt, what about rear brake caliper? I've a standard Shimano postmount xt rear brake....
Thanks
Paolo

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello
almost close to swap my Jet 9 Carbon 2017 with a Phantom 2019 (not the w3).
Really happy of my Jet 9 but willing to change....
Luckily almost all component fits...just a doubt, what about rear brake I've a standard Shimano postmount xt rear brake....
Thanks
Paolo
You will need IS-PM adapter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, last question , I hope...anyone can add some picture of the red version?
I'm in doubt between alu raw and red...
Thanks
Paolo

·
Registered
119 Posts
XL Phantom v3 in Raw
Pike Ultimate 140mm
Sram GX Groupset
XT m8000 Brakes
Roval 29er Wheelset (2.5 Assegei Front/2.3 DHR II Rear)
One up 210mm dropper

Bike currently setup Neutral, with Short Stays. Tried the short stays with a 2.4 WT Dissector the tire clearance was a little to close for my comfort with all the dirt/loam/mud we get up here in the PNW.

Can’t weight to get it out on a test ride!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017-2019 Phantom build

Weighs in at 29.2 pounds with pedals and Schwalbe XC tires. It was 29.8 pounds with beefy-looking Hans Damp 2.35 tires. It was way funner with the more capable tires. I will either switch back to my old HD tires or try 2.6 Nobby Nics next.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Weighs in at 29.2 pounds with pedals and Schwalbe XC tires. It was 29.8 pounds with beefy-looking Hans Damp 2.35 tires. It was way funner with the more capable tires. I will either switch back to my old HD tires or try 2.6 Nobby Nics next.
That's impressively light. What size? My size M is more like 32.5 lbs, and I have some XO components like crankset and cassette (though also a relatively heavy DVO fork).

But yeah, I agree this bike is more fun with more capable tires. Just installed some vittoria mazza 2.6/Agarro 2.35 on black friday sale. Replaced DHF/Aggessor which was also good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don’t be too inpressed

Mine is a medium. It originally weighed in at 31.7 pounds with Stan’s Flow ZTR wheel set, DVO Diamond fork, and Canfield pedals.

I lost nearly two pounds by changing out the wheels (RF Turbine R), fork (Pike RCT, 140mm) and pedals (Issi composite). The Diamond is more plush and the better fork. I prefer the Turbine wheels because of its way faster engagement. Canfield pedals are way stickier and cooler. The Canfields found a home in my Banshee Prime, which currently weighs in at 31.7 pounds. Ironic!

XC tires almost ruins it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey All,

Thought I would share this...I bought my 2014 used two years back, and finally gave it some love. Sanded all the clear coat and decals off while give it a couple rebuild. The sanding took a very long time, but, I saved 0.02 grams on the front triangle alone, so, well worth it. Thanks to Michael at Banshee for his help. The only downside is that the frame is too smooth for decals to adhere...

Happy holidays to you all.

H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
looking to build a Phantom V3 here in France,at 6.2 tall and 35 inseam I'd like to go on a Large..Ok on the Banshee sizing guide(up to 6.4 for the Large)and according to the distributor here..
Is anyone similar size riding a new V3..?
Thanks
Sernin

·
Registered
2 Posts
XL Phantom v3 in Raw
Pike Ultimate 140mm
Sram GX Groupset
XT m8000 Brakes
Roval 29er Wheelset (2.5 Assegei Front/2.3 DHR II Rear)
One up 210mm dropper

Bike currently setup Neutral, with Short Stays. Tried the short stays with a 2.4 WT Dissector the tire clearance was a little to close for my comfort with all the dirt/loam/mud we get up here in the PNW.

Can’t weight to get it out on a test ride!

Hi,
what size are you on that XL?
Nice build with the Raw Pike,I have a deal for a Gunmetal Cane Creek 130 Helm, think I'll go for that,too much black on my actual hardtail..:rolleyes:
Sernin

501 - 515 of 515 Posts