Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quick question for the V2 Phantom owners out there. I'm swapping my V1 parts over to my new V2 frame. My V1 bottom bracket had a small spacer on the drive side, no spacer on left side. The V2 comes with the ISCG adapter plate. Am I supposed to use the ISCG bracket in place of my old BB spacer? I did that, and it does appear that the drive side crank arm might be a tad closer to the chainstay than the non-drive side clearance.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Quick question for the V2 Phantom owners out there. I'm swapping my V1 parts over to my new V2 frame. My V1 bottom bracket had a small spacer on the drive side, no spacer on left side. The V2 comes with the ISCG adapter plate. Am I supposed to use the ISCG bracket in place of my old BB spacer? I did that, and it does appear that the drive side crank arm might be a tad closer to the chainstay than the non-drive side clearance.
You need ISCG PLUS spacer. The ISCG needs to be run on all frames to make the BB 73mm.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You need ISCG PLUS spacer. The ISCG needs to be run on all frames to make the BB 73mm.
Awesome, thank you! I pulled up the V2 manual, and I didn't see it in there.

BTW, the V2 manual shows images that are the V1 dropouts.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought so. I have ridden there many times. I like it much better than Massanutten.
Nice! This was my first time at a park... I'm usually at Lake Fairfax or down at Wintergreen. I was contemplating renting a DH bike, but the Phantom didn't leave me wanting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been building a 2017 phantom V2 frame. I haven't had it out on the trails yet since I just finished this past weekend. Can't wait to get it out for its maiden voyage! I only have a couple photos of the wrong side in the garage, but will update once I get some better photos.

I'm 6'-4" and ~220 lbs. I'm coming from a 2006 GF Sugar 293, size large, so this should be a big upgrade in modern geometry and size for me. The Sugar has a HT angle of 71.5 and I was running a 100mm stem and setback seatpost to force it to fit me, and I started to realize how OTB i felt this spring so I started looking at upgrades and found a good deal on the Phantom frame. The thought initially was to transfer pretty much everything from the old bike that I had upgraded over the years, but online shopping got to me and ended up swapping only the brakes, shifter and rear derailleur.

Here are the specs -

Frame- 2017, XL
Fork - Fox 34 Performance 130mm starting around 95 psi.
Rear shock - Rockshox Monarch RT3 (i think its at ~200 psi)
Bar - Race Face Atlas - 32mm rise. Cut down to 760mm wide.
Stem - Spank Spike 50mm (this feels a little cramped and low so I have
a Race Face Evolve 70mm +6 deg stem on the way to try out)

Post - Oneup V2 180mm dropper (on the way).
Saddle - Fabric Scoop Elite Shallow (on the way).
Cranks - Shimano XT 8000 175mm
Front chainring - Oneup 30T oval
Shifter/Rear derailleur - Sram GX (gripshift)
Cassette - Sunrace 11-46 11spd
Pedals - Forte ATB Comp (for now)
Wheels – Spank Oozy Trail 345
Dropouts - 148 x 12 mm
Tires - Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 (26F/30R psi)
Brakes - Shimano SLX M7000
Discs - Shimano SLX RT-66 180 Front, 180 Rear

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice build. The black is great. On my xl frame I fit a large bottle under the top tube by zip tying a cage there. You have to flip the shock, but I can carry two large bottles now and ditch the pack.
Once those tires wear out, you might want to rethink the Ardents, depending on your terrain. Dhf 2.6f/Agressor 2.5r is a magic combo for the steep and loose stuff. A little heavier but way more confidence. 200mm rotors also, for your size and weight. Makes a big difference. I’ve found that really good brakes increase your control tremendously.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice build. The black is great. On my xl frame I fit a large bottle under the top tube by zip tying a cage there. You have to flip the shock, but I can carry two large bottles now and ditch the pack.
Once those tires wear out, you might want to rethink the Ardents, depending on your terrain. Dhf 2.6f/Agressor 2.5r is a magic combo for the steep and loose stuff. A little heavier but way more confidence. 200mm rotors also, for your size and weight. Makes a big difference. I’ve found that really good brakes increase your control tremendously.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it on the trails. Unfortunately, work in nuts right now so it may be a couple weeks before I can get it out.

I installed the dropper post on sunday. That is my first dropper and just testing it out around my townhouse complex, i couldnt get the smile off my face.

The 70mm +6 deg stem is definitely a better fit for me. Feels better than the 50mm 0 deg.

I picked the Ardents since mostly do typical New England single track trails that arent too aggressive. The guy I normally go with is in better shape than I am so I wanted a little lighter, faster rolling tire. I'm coming from 2.25" width tires so the 2.4's feel big already.

Similar with the rotors. I was riding 160's on my other bike and never really felt i needed more. But I upgraded to the 180's anyway for a little more braking power. Based on my ability, I think I am a bit over-biked as it is, so hopefully I'll get out riding more and grow into the bike. Then I can decide what I need when this stuff wears out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ardents

I ride east coast trails on Ardents. I rode them for a week on the BCBR in 2019-they were great. Lots of all weather traction, corner grip was really good and no flats. So, I am a fan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just curious, has anyone ever run a coil fork on a Phantom?

How was it?

(I have looked through several threads, and didn't see anything)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Strange question maybe. Who has built a phantom v2 as a 27.5 xc/trail bike? Looking at building one running the short dropouts in the high chip setting with a 140mm fork. Has anyone successfully done something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Strange question maybe. Who has built a phantom v2 as a 27.5 xc/trail bike? Looking at building one running the short dropouts in the high chip setting with a 140mm fork. Has anyone successfully done something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built my V2 initially with 27.5"+, short dropouts in the high setting with a 140mm fork. I rode it like that for about 6 months. Super fun but a fair amount of pedal strikes.

It evolved to having 29" wheels, long dropouts in the high setting with a 140mm fork and a -1 degree headset. I rode it like that in the 2019 BCBR.

Now it is the same as above with a 130mm fork. I like it best this way.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I built my V2 initially with 27.5"+, short dropouts in the high setting with a 140mm fork. I rode it like that for about 6 months. Super fun but a fair amount of pedal strikes.

It evolved to having 29" wheels, long dropouts in the high setting with a 140mm fork and a -1 degree headset. I rode it like that in the 2019 BCBR.

Now it is the same as above with a 130mm fork. I like it best this way.
I've got my V2 built up with 27.5x2.8 on 30mm internal width rims. I have stock dropouts, are those short or long? Idk.

I also have 140mm fork and McLeod shock (190x50mm). Running in the slack setting, and yes, a lot of pedal strikes. But what a fun and playful bike!

I might change over to the high/steep setting.

481 - 500 of 515 Posts