Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

461 - 480 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sadly I somehow managed to crack the BB on it with a very nasty rock hit/strike 4 years in and am waiting on funds to replace it, the replacement will be another Phantom, the newer V1.1 Phantom...
Man, I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you do get another one, and soon. As one of the original if not the original proponent of Phantoms on this board, your reviews and responses to questions and comments have been invaluable, to myself and many others. Props.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Thanks man, really do miss it, but have gotten a lot of skill and body work riding the rigid since AND really enjoy the challenge of it. Yeah, my Phantom was actually a pre-production, just like the Prime. The Phantom was exactly the bike I wanted, can rip anything you've the cahones to try, but requires you to ride the bike, not be a passenger relying strictly on lots of suspension, with just enough edge taken off that you can ride all day. Build two sets of wheels with 2 different sets of tyres and you've got a very capable XC bike and then a serious Trail slayer. Hopefully things will pick up and I can swing the new frameset before summers end and I hit the half century mark :D

S​​usspect;14119003 said:
Man, I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you do get another one, and soon. As one of the original if not the original proponent of Phantoms on this board, your reviews and responses to questions and comments have been invaluable, to myself and many others. Props.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I decided I need to try this bike for myself and picked up an anodized black frame from Dirt Merchant. Wow! What an absolutely gorgeous frame. Pictures do not do it justice! It'll be a while before I get it built up, but I will enjoy staring at in the meantime ;).

·
Registered
379 Posts
So I decided I need to try this bike for myself and picked up an anodized black frame from Dirt Merchant. Wow! What an absolutely gorgeous frame. Pictures do not do it justice! It'll be a while before I get it built up, but I will enjoy staring at in the meantime ;).
Nice! I have the black frame myself, love it. I did recently add a couple red banshee stickers which brightens things up a bit, but I think the black frame looks sharp. (all my components are basically black with a touch of white, unintentionally murdered out).

Let us know what you're planning for the build.

·
Registered
116 Posts
S​​usspect;14136237 said:
Nice! I have the black frame myself, love it. I did recently add a couple red banshee stickers which brightens things up a bit, but I think the black frame looks sharp. (all my components are basically black with a touch of white, unintentionally murdered out).

Let us know what you're planning for the build.
Sweet. I bet that looks good. Going for a light trail build on this to complement my burlier 130/130 bike. Have just about everything except the fork. Thinking about a MRP Ribbon SL. Lightish and supposedly easy to adjust the travel from 110-130. Here's what I have so far:

Xtr 11sp shifter/derailleur with gx cassette
RF Next 760 bar
RF Turbine cranks
Xtr 9020 brakes
Dr swiss xm 1501 25mm wheels (29er)
Vittoria mezcal 2.35 f/r
Ks lev supernatural 150 dropper
Some fancy Italian carbon saddle

I'm the ultimate online bargain hunter so I got all this stuff cheap. Don't know what it will weigh but should be pretty reasonable. Can't wait!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just went on a ride that may be the “last stand” for the 27.5+ wheelset (for now), bc I have some 29x2.4 tires on the way and I’m excited to try them out. Thought it might be a good time to post up my current build before I change things up.

This is a Gen 2 frame that I bought complete last year through Jenson, it was called the “XO1 Jenson build”. It doesn’t look like they are selling Phantom builds at all this year, which is a shame, it was a great way to get a deal. Anyway the only bits that are still stock, aside from bottom bracket and headset, are the XT brakes, XO1 Eagle cranks and shifter, and still rockin’ the Race Face Chester flat pedals.

New bits:

DVO Diamond fork, 140mm
Manitou McLeod shock, 190x50
Bike Yoke Revive dropper, 125mm
Spank Oozy Trail rims w/Novatec hubs, 27.5+
Maxxis Rekon/Specialized Slaughter 27.5x2.8
Replacement GX Eagle derailleur – yep, a downgrade; stick ate my XO1 :madman:
Ice Tech rotors
Syntace Megaforce 70mm stem
Deity “Dirty 30” 25mm riser bars
Odi Rogue grips
Selle Italia Nepal saddle

Most of these parts either came over from other bikes, or were found on sale/clearance somewhere. Other than the McLeod shock, I paid retail for nada.

With the upgraded/upsized suspension, this thing is plush and just soaks up whatever faint approximation of all-mountain riding I can give it. It was good before, it’s even better now. I think it’s retained most of the bike’s snappy feel, especially when I don’t have the shock all the way open… I expect the 29ers to feel a little faster.

When I get my 29ers back on, I’ll be back on the stock Race Face Aeffect 30 rims/hubs, this time with Onza Ibex 2.4/Vittoria Morsa 2.3. Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice bike Susspect! Let us know how you like the 29er wheels.

Try to weigh them, and compare to your 27.5+ wheels. I know when I change over to 29er wheels I can feel the slight extra weight they carry.

524 Posts
The additional grams (and dollars) of the Ramp Control unit on the standard Ribbon are absolutely worth it! I’m a huge fan of MRP and the Ribbon...but I can’t vouch for the Ribbon SL.

We also have a few Ribbon Air forks on a huge “scratches not dented” sale...a lot cheaper than a Ribbon SL.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got it in the slack setting for now... not sure I'd be able to tell a difference between slack and steep at my skill level, though.
You are in DC? I am about to commit to ordering a frame/ shock set from Dirt Merchant without ever having ridden a Phantom. It seems to me like the perfect frame for riding around here. West Virginia and Virginia tight and rooty/ rocky with a good amount of climbs and short punchy downs.

How do you like it? How does it pedal out of the saddle?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are in DC? I am about to commit to ordering a frame/ shock set from Dirt Merchant without ever having ridden a Phantom. It seems to me like the perfect frame for riding around here. West Virginia and Virginia tight and rooty/ rocky with a good amount of climbs and short punchy downs.

How do you like it? How does it pedal out of the saddle?
So far so good. It's a heavy frame, no doubt, but it's much smoother than the EPO on the trails around here... including on the uphills. I'm usually riding Lake Fairfax, which is pretty rooty with some modest tech, if that helps at all. I haven't taken it to Fountainhead yet. I was really torn between this and the Prime, but I think the Prime would be overkill for places like Reston and Fountainhead.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I been riding a Phantom for 18 months now in NVA-Fountainhead, Meadowood, Accotink, Wakefield, and other. I have a140mm fork with a -1 works headset. I think it is a great ride for this area. I am will to let interested folks test ride. PM me.

Reactions: S​​usspect

·
Registered
72 Posts
Replaced my cracked gen 1 with a deal from Dirtmerchant on a gen 2. Moved up a size to XL, glad I did. Rode it for awhile with the stock rear shock, then got some offset bushings for my Debonair 190x51 (just barely fits with two bushings). Paired with the 140mm fit 4 it feels well balanced and plush, a definite improvement, and I appreciate the higher BB with long crankarms. Waiting on some Spank 350 rims to upgrade my hoops. Never had wide rims, looking forward to them.

I had a great two week trip in AZ last spring; Prescott, Flagstaff, Pinetop, Tucson, Sonoita, etc. Really fell in love with the bike. Looking forward to three months of work and play there this winter.

On a related note, I have a gen 1 rear triangle just sitting here, if someone wants it. Came off a large.

·
Trail Bomber
260 Posts
Replaced my cracked gen 1 with a deal from Dirtmerchant on a gen 2. Moved up a size to XL, glad I did. Rode it for awhile with the stock rear shock, then got some offset bushings for my Debonair 190x51 (just barely fits with two bushings). Paired with the 140mm fit 4 it feels well balanced and plush, a definite improvement, and I appreciate the higher BB with long crankarms. Waiting on some Spank 350 rims to upgrade my hoops. Never had wide rims, looking forward to them.

I had a great two week trip in AZ last spring; Prescott, Flagstaff, Pinetop, Tucson, Sonoita, etc. Really fell in love with the bike. Looking forward to three months of work and play there this winter.

On a related note, I have a gen 1 rear triangle just sitting here, if someone wants it. Came off a large.
Have you ridden either a Rune or a Prime? I have a Rune and I really dig it, considering moving my HT build over to a Phantom so I can have a efficient FS that can party when the time comes, and keep the Rune for the more rocky & steep rides. Do you find the Phantom bouncy/overwelmed on intermediate tech terrain at all?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I haven't ridden any other Banshees. With the rear travel increased to 120, and the fork at 140, it never feels overwhelmed in the rough. It did with the standard shock at 105. However, I'm starting to wonder if a Prime would have been a better choice, considering all the riding I do in Arizona. It can get pretty rough, and sometimes you just need to plow through stuff. Plus, if I'm not mistaken the Prime has a bit shorter reach and higher stack, which would suit me a bit more. I'm 6'3" on an XL. Unfortunately, the steering tube on my forks is cut short so I can't get my bars any higher. I know, there are solutions, etc.

I built my Lynskey Ridgeline HT back up, also an XL. It feels much too short and steep now that I'm used to progressive geometry. It rode great for one ride between FS frames, with the 140mm fork on it; slacked out the angles.

I'm tempted to sell them both and get a Prime and a 29+ HT with modern geometry. That would just about tick all the boxes for me (although now that I'm back on FS after years on HT, the squishy bikes are just so much damn fun I don't see a HT getting much use). I'm running 2.5/2.3 F/R tires right now, and thinking of going bigger, say 2.8/2.5. Just relaced my wheels with Spank 350 rims; the difference is dramatic over the i23's I had on there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm tempted to sell them both and get a Prime and a 29+ HT with modern geometry. That would just about tick all the boxes for me (although now that I'm back on FS after years on HT, the squishy bikes are just so much damn fun I don't see a HT getting much use)
I kind of did that from the get-go. My Prime is probably set up more in a Phantom vein then most do.

Still have a "not so modern" ti/29er HT. It collected dust at first, but I have been riding it a bit of late.
Forgot how twitchy it was, kind of fun on tight trails. Felt like a man again on the climbs, I just feel stronger on a slacker STA.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just bought my first banshee frame, waiting for the dropouts and headset to arrive.

I'm coming off a 2019 enduro 29 which just feels like too much bike for most of my riding.

Phantom V2 Medium in black. The anodised finish looks amazing, too amazing almost for invisframe! I don't want to loose the gloss on satin finish.

I'm planning this build:

Compact dropouts
Mazocchi Bomber Z1 130mm fork
Dtswiss m1700 wheelset
Bontrager 29x2.6 xr4
Bontrager 29x2.4 xr3
Race face aeffect cranks 30t chainring
Shimano xt m8100 brakes
Shimano xt m8100 shifter/RdShimano slx m7100 cassette
Kmc 12sp chain
Xfusion manic 150mm dropper
Spec power arc saddle
SRAM centreline rotors 200/180
-1.0° works angled headset
Time mx4 pedals
Rental fatbar 10mm riser (inverted)
Dmr 35mm stem

Can't wait to take this out onto the trails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Set to arrive next weekend!

RastaTrailRider = 6'0" tall

2020 Phantom V3 Raw Alum
Size = Large
Fork = 2021 Marzocchi Z1 140MM AIR RED
Shock = 2020 Fox DPX2
Wheels: RF Next R 29er
Bar = Answer Protaper Carbon 810 bars
Stem = Answer Atac RED