Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching all over the Internet for some information on this model, but can't find anything, absolutely anything.. What kind of bike it is, for men/women? What parts I can put on it (in case of upgrade). Is this a good bike at all or not? I'm pretty newbie in all this stuff, so I'm just asking directly for help from professionals!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
I'll come straight out and say it... it looks like a dept. store bike, I won't lie because you want the truth. My guess is that it weighs a ton as well. This bike, as a mountain bike is close to worthless... The frame design confuses me as if it wants to be a dept. store full susser but then changed its mind. In all honesty, I would put it up for sale (probably on something like CL) and sell it. Use the profit from it and any other money you are willing to spend and buy a good entry level LBS hardtail of some sort ~$500-600, you will be much happier. Don't worry many real MTBers have owned a bike like that in their lifetime, until they realize what a good HT has to offer them. Hate to burst your bubble if you had your hopes up, but I'm just trying to help and keep you safe on the trails. :thumbsup:

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
fableman said:
It's Merida Dakar 660, Aluminium frame + Shotgun tubing.. So, I was hoping it's not that garbage after all.
Sorry... but from the picture, I can't come to any other conclusion... I don't want to be harsh but I want you to at least know the truth, I'm sure there will be more posts soon. I'm very glad you want to get into the sport though, don't let this discourage you! Read the dept. store bike FAQ in the Beginner section, that'll give you and idea of what you're looking at and what you should get instead. It's a great sport, just stick with it!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It might be a little better than a department store bike. Merida doesnt sell bikes under their own name in the United States so that bike is unfamiliar to most of us. They are pretty much an OEM that manufacturers for other companies. It would be interesting to put it on a scale and see what it weighs. If it weighs under 28 pounds you might just put some clipless pedals on and smoke who ever is on the trail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.