Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
I still prefer a threaded BB but I have not had any issues with my PF92 on my 429C.

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
It was certainly one of my biggest complaints when building up my Mach 6 a few months ago. I've not had a problem yet, but I agree with Vernon's article that the negatives outweigh the benefits. Somewhere in Pivot's literature they say that their PF BB system eliminates the need to have threaded metal cast into their Carbon molds...As if that's a bad thing. Prior to pressing my BB in with a home made jig that scared the bejeezus outa me, I called Pivot to ask for advice. I was told to press in one side at a time, cuz the Pivot tech guy explained " I saw one guy pressing both cups in at the same time and they got a bit askew...the whole bottom bracket shell exploded." I swapped out countless bottom brackets over the years and when I next have to replace the BB on my M6, I will be freakin' scared all over again, especially since it's lock-tite'd in!

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
I still prefer a threaded BB but I have not had any issues with my PF92 on my 429C.
Exactly My experience...and I have beat my 429c pretty good.

BUT I am nowhere near even thinking about working on it myself... where with threaded...yah I could handle that.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Ahahaha... the U brake of BB's - absofuuckinglutely perfect!
Got one, not impressed, next frame will be threaded.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
It's early days yet, but the two we have are silent and no issues to report.

I'd prefer a threaded BB, but it wasn't a big enough deal to stop me from buying a Mach 6.

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
To me it makes more sense on an Alu or Steel frame. Carbon Fiber BB housings just don't seem substantial enough to handle repeated BB changes.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
This would be my biggest complain against the M6. That's why I dont have one yet and still considering to demo a Nomad before I decide.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
This would be my biggest complain against the M6. That's why I dont have one yet and still considering to demo a Nomad before I decide.
The Nomad is quite a bit different than the M6. Really depends if you want a balanced up/down bike that's nimble in tight quarters or a bike that can be pedalled up and will slay the open DHs.

I have a MK2 Nomad and the M6 is more manoeuvrable than that bike and they made the MK3 Nomad even more to the DH side than my version with a WB that's 2" longer.

One benefit to VPP on the MK2 Nomad is it's more plush than the M6's DW link. OTOH the DW is more efficient going up.

Worth demoing the new Nomad if it interests you, but I wouldn't let the BB be the deciding factor....there are far more important differences.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts