Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have (and love) a Salsa Blackborow (old school, not the longtail). I tend to keep my bikes for a loooong time, and therefore want to be prepared for any obsolescence.

The weak link for the Blackborow as far as I can tell is the dependence on the 132mm PF41 bottom bracket, as I'm not sure there are any new bikes with this spec anymore. (The Surly ice cream truck used to use this and went to a 100mm threaded BB in its latest iteration).

Is it time to stock up? Should I just get some extra bearings and not the cups? Go thread-together before those disappear? Should I be worried about the MWOD cranks or what might eventually replace them? Interested in what others have done here.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I do not see the need to stock up. PF41 refers to the shell diameter, there are many versions that use the same cup with different length center sleeves. Currently there are at least a dozen different brands making bearings for PF41.

BB86, BB92, PF24, PF90, BB104/107, PF121, BPF132 all of these use the same press fit bearings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, thanks. I'd hope that there will be a supply of compatible cranks out there as well, that at least some used in 100mm threaded BBs would be long enough with he right diameter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.