Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All was fine until I noticed noise (and play) in my last ride. Spec for PF30 bb shells is 46mm and I measured 46-46.5 on my carbon frame. PF30 bb slips in easily without a press. Is it toast?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You should reach out to Praxis. They may have a PF30 BB that will work for you. Their system uses an expanding collet that could snug it up.

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should reach out to Praxis. They may have a PF30 BB that will work for you. Their system uses an expanding collet that could snug it up.
That's the one I'm using which was working great for a year or so, unfortunately my frame only captures the bb about 15mm on each side instead of all the way through.

Seen this quite a bit, only solution I have found is to use locktite or epoxy to fill the gap. Spec even gives epoxy on some of their framesets. Just need a real nice BB that has bearings that can be changed instead of the cups when needing replacement.

That's sort of what I figured. As mentioned I'm using a Praxis bb which is a conversion variety that allowed me to use my sram x9 gpx crankset. I could glue the plastic sleeve in but then I'd be married to the Praxis and 24mm crankset, which may not be such a bad thing. The bearings on the praxis have been stellar and are still in good shape.

What type of epoxy?

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had a thought that if I glued in the bb cable changes would be difficult to impossible because the housing barely squeezes in between the bb and bb shell. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts