Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To all the Blur 4X lovers out there:

I'm planning on emailing SC about producing a new Blur 4X and would like to get a head count as well as what others would want on the new design. While I love my 4X, there's always room for improvement. So if you really want to see a new 4X, then please chime in.

My list:

ISCG05 tabs
VPP2 (of course)
Curved toptube (think Blur LT or Nomad) for better standover height
Keep the beefy headtube at 1 1/8"
Keep the low bb height

I guess you could say that I want a BlurLT2 with 100-120mm rear travel and ISCG mounts, or a baby Nomad. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
me four

the Blur 4X was one of the raddest bikes of all time for predictable drifts and overall hooligan handling for my under-gifted style on a bicycle. Having a short seat tube limits me for trail riding though, and the medium 4X I had required a tall post. Now that I'm addicted to gravity-joplins (but hate that they are the lamest creakiest breakoftenmostorneedsomeattention parts on my otherwise incredible bike fleet) I doubt I could make it work. That, to me, is the difference between a "trail" bike and a "slope/4X/slalom" bike. Not being able to get saddle height and more sizes is a drag, i need to get some saddle height.
At sea otter last year there was a dude rocking a Blur XC with a 120 fork in slalom!

So with my special needs in mind: I'd want a Blur LTc (for the crazy stiffness), but maybe just a 8mm lower BB, 1 to 1.5 slacker, but not a super short ST. The standover is fine, when are you standing around with your race bike? 140 fork geometry build so its slack and tight. Stiffernshite technology in there for sure, no cheesing out with metal swingarms to flap around and screw up cornering.

I love the way the little bikes look, all short seat tube and straight top tube back and down, but it doesn't work for me for saddle position.

·
Registered
514 Posts
While I would dearly love an upgrade to my 4x, i doubt they will go for it.

The mountain bike buying public as a whole are remarkably stupid, very much like sheep. They buy what they are told to by the media, and won't think outside the little boxes that bike companies create. The 4x failed I beleive because people were too stupid to look at it for what it was, and instead focused on the whole 4x name instead. They figure if they aren't riding 4x then they don't want this bike, and instead go and buy the BLTc and come away confused and dissapointed.

If Santa Cruz did it, my order would be the first one in. But I'd also be shocked to hell.

And Eleven-yo, I dunno hwo you're built but I am 6'3 and trailride my 4x constantly, with a 410mm seatpost jacked up. It does the job nicely. Not quite the same as a full on XC bike, but if I wanted that I wouldn't be on the 4x in the first place.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i gotta 410 post, and it works great. I just got addicted to handlebar mounted saddle dropping, and the adjustable posts on the market weren't long enough to use on my medium 4X. I'm a mere 5-10, but have a bit higher than avg saddle height preference

I'm no sheep, i've never raced 4X, just gotta chance to ride the bike and blow my wad. I think they should just assign no model name, and have this bike go totally underground. Its like ordering animal style at in n' out burger. Not in any catalogs, no websites, no launch. You have to get referred.

·
Registered
835 Posts
eleven-yo said:
At sea otter last year there was a dude rocking a Blur XC with a 120 fork in slalom!
I was going to suggest this as a possible replacement but thought i'd get shot down in flames, based on my XC carbon with 120mm fork feeling a lot like my old 4x which is retired but hanging in the garage for that one day when I decide to restore it.

was a fantastic bike in it's day....

·
Registered
879 Posts
eleven-yo said:
i gotta 410 post, and it works great. I just got addicted to handlebar mounted saddle dropping, and the adjustable posts on the market weren't long enough to use on my medium 4X.
I'm 6.1 and ride a Gravity 350ish seatpost, never had an issue with height. LOVE my 4x. My only issue with SC producing a new one would be getting rid of the current frame. There would be tears.

Also., you might want to check out the RASE seatpost......NINE inches of drop.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I love my blur XC, but I would love to have the same aluminum bike, a little burlier, w/ VPP2, and more tire clearance.
I certainly don't need a lower bb, as I ride some nasty rock gardens. The ends of my cranks and pedals are severely battle scared.

(if there is enough tire clearance, I would just run 650b wheels and fix the bb height)

Anyway, count me as a vote.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another vote for new 4x!

Wish list is pretty much the same what you fellow riders already highlighted - geometry similar to current model, which is quite distinctive from other blurs: same amount of rear travel, low bb, a bit lower standover height (possible with vpp2?), maybe a bit shorter chainstays, iscg mount, slack HA (capable of handling 140 - 160 mm fork).

It seems that most of us want aggressive trail bike...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great responses guys, keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

Like DM said, it's pretty much a long shot, but we have to try. His comments and some others got me to thinking. Does the name really matter that much? Perhaps if it wasn't called the Blur 4X, would it sell better?

If you knew it had the same or similar geometry to the old 4X, but was called something like the Blur ST, would it matter to you? With a new name they could market it differently. I feel there's definitely a slot between the Blur XC and Blur LT that can be filled. And not all of us have "carbon" budgets. :(

As far as seatposts go, I'm running the Speedball but will be changing to a KS or RASE soon. The KS has a 5" drop and the RASE a 9" drop so the days of the Speedball's and Joplin's 3" drop are over. :thumbsup:

Too bad ano isn't going to be an option in the future, but hopefully they'll have a "raw" finish available. Then you could have it ano'd or pc'd whatever color you want.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Cheap route: They just need to make a adjustable dropout for the LT (new swing arm) to get a slammed bb and slacken the head angle. Loved my 4X! Whipy and awesome geo! But at 6'2" the seatpost was way up there.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Blur Razz, Blur Razor or Blur R

I'm in. Put me down for one.

There is nothing like having a hooligan bike to put a smile on your face, and can I say, the rush you get when this sort of weapon hits stuff, jumps and descends. It's the perfect razzing around bike.

And here is a name:
The Blur Razz or Blur Razor (cuts tracks to shreds) (or simply Burr R - R rated, R is for race?)

I agree with eleven- you and Gripo, the new carbon XC is a very accomplished performer with 4x running gear, wheels, wide bars and 120mm fork. The new Vpp2 and the stiff chassis/frame really deliver some great hooligan results (the XC has a nice short chain stay to).

But more would be better. The BB on the XC in this format lifts up towards or around the 13" mark (still half and inch less that a Blur LT) and the head angle is probably around the 68.5⁰ mark.

With the new Monarch dual air coming out, you might be able to trade off some rear travel for a slacker head angle - not that you'd want less that 100mm travel though.

So a new 4X is needed, we want the BB to stay lower than 13" again and the head angle able to slacked out a little more than the current XC can achieve.

My wish list:
120mm rear travel
Low BB
VPP2
HA 68⁰ is with 120mm fork and cable of taking longer forks (ideally imo a 67.5⁰ HA with a 140mm fork)
Keep the chainstay short - maybe shorter than the current 17.2"

Please Santa (Cruz), bring me a new 4X for Christmas...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
m-dub said:
Cheap route: They just need to make a adjustable dropout for the LT (new swing arm) to get a slammed bb and slacken the head angle. Loved my 4X! Whipy and awesome geo! But at 6'2" the seatpost was way up there.
I was starting to think that may be possible as well. They might even be able to get away with using the LT's swingarm with different upper and lower links and a shorter shock. That would cut costs for them while still giving us our low 12.5" bb height. The LT's front triangle is strong enough for up to a 160mm fork. They only thing I'd like to see them add is ISCG tabs.

WilliamK: Hooligan bike. I think that sums up the 4X perfectly. :D

·
dude
407 Posts
pakdoc said:
1.5 steerer, 15mm rear TA, updated links and Zerks, ANO CITRUS
As much as I hate to say it, I think that a 1.125/1.5 tapered headtube would be better as you can slap on a reducer to go with a standard 1.125 fork or just use one of the newer tapered steer tube forks. There aren't very many 1.5" steer tube forks or stems out there.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.