Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
XCdude
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has nothing to do with the virus or anything like that. Has always been an issue, very light sleep anything wakes me up then I can't go back to sleep. At least 20-30' at night before I doze off.

I tried over the counter stuff, all I get is dizzy. Any natural or prescription stuff. I never tired enough to fall sleep, even riding 20+hrs per week and work, actually makes it worst.:skep:

·
Registered
596 Posts
This has been a lifelong issue for me as well.

I'm sure you've read the usual, no caffeine after a certain point in the day, no TV/computer so many hours before bed, no alcohol as a sleep aid, etc...

Now with that out of the way - I've tried OTC sleep aids like Advil PM and others with Diphenhydramine (active ingredient in benadryl) and while it works, I don't like the foggy feeling the next morning. Look into valerian root (I like it as a tea before bed in winter) and melatonin (I prefer low dosage taken sub-lingual). Lately I've been very pleased with the results of Ashwagandha herb made as a tincture. CBD also produces some of the best sleep I've had in years. You'll just have to experiment with what works best for you particularly.

ETA: I considered Ambien and Xanax at one point out of desperation, but as long as these others are working for me I don't see the point of a prescription med.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,396 Posts
I dealt with prolonged severe insomnia at times and one thing which helped me is not trying to go to sleep and keep myself busy until I am tiered.
If I now wake up during the night I listen to podcasts until I fall asleep.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
melatonin (I prefer low dosage taken sub-lingual).
This works. 0.75-1.5 grams max, more than that can have the opposite affect. I use NOW brand with b6 and peppermint.

No caffeine, at all, ever.
No alcohol

Meditate. Write down what's bothering you, on your mind, or stressing you before you go sleep. This may sound very simple but also works.

Don't eat for hours before you go to sleep. No screen time/blue light before you go to sleep. Get blocking glasses if you can't avoid that. Make sure your bedroom is 100% void of light, also very important. Also the cooler the temp the deeper you'll sleep.

You may be mineral deficient, especially zink, magnesium, and calcium. Try a multimineral supplement for a bit, can't hurt. I like sleepy time tea by traditional medicinals. It contains valerian root which was mentioned.

If your using supplements now pay attention if they're adding to the problem. As a long time user of protein powder, bcaa's etc. it took me a long long time to figure out they caused me horrible bouts of relentless insomnia.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

Reactions: Xylx

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My Mom has it and so do I...sucks. Wasn't so bad when I worked graveyard shift but now on dayshift I feel the effects. Seemed like it got worse for me when I turned 50 or so also since I HAVE to get up and pee about 3x night and going back to sleep is rough.
I'm a big coffee drinker but have a final cup no later than 4:30 in the afternoon.
10mg Melatonin before I go to bed but most nights half of that.
Evening beers are out the window unless I don't have to be up early.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,649 Posts
I'm all kinds of F'd up if I have any caffeine after about noon.

Melatonin has worked for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been half insomniac since I quit being a daily pot smoker in my 20s. Getting to sleep isn't usually the problem, staying asleep is. The less alcohol the better, but when I can't get to sleep it sometimes helps. It just doesnt help me sleep through the night, so I try to avoid it.

no coffee after noon (4:30 is way too late!)
1 hour of meditative Yoga 2 hours before bed
no computer two hours before bed. Use a (forget what they're called) program that reduces blue in the evening.
little or no alcohol after dinner
reading before bed. Books. Not computer things.
consider becoming a pothead again.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Get checked out by a sleep expert.
Get the sleep apnea test.
Go see your doctor.

Herbals like
- Valerian
- Saint Johns Wart

Countless prescription sleeping pills the docs push.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
2/3 of the people I see I treat for insomnia.

Meditation, sleep hygiene, sleep restriction, herbal remedies, these are all fine, but when someone is reporting chronic insomnia, they have almost always tried everything “natural”.

In order of preference:

Natural remedies
Melatonin
Benadryl
Hydroxyzine
Clonidine/guanfacine
Trazadone/mirtazapine
TCA
Lunesta
Sonata
Ambien
Benzodiazepines

There are some newer medications worth trying if you have good insurance and/or don’t mind a higher copay.

Keep in mind that some folks have reasons for being unable to sleep, specifically sleep apnea.

Also consider whether the problem is falling asleep, staying asleep, getting back to sleep., etc

So yeah, if you ran the gamut for natural remedies then see a medical provider.

Not sleeping is bad for you in many ways.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,050 Posts
My Mom has it and so do I...sucks. Wasn't so bad when I worked graveyard shift but now on dayshift I feel the effects. Seemed like it got worse for me when I turned 50 or so also since I HAVE to get up and pee about 3x night and going back to sleep is rough.
I'm a big coffee drinker but have a final cup no later than 4:30 in the afternoon.
10mg Melatonin before I go to bed but most nights half of that.
Evening beers are out the window unless I don't have to be up early.
4:30 pm really?
Try a couple cups in the morning and then nothing else....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,556 Posts
I’ve long had an issue with waking at 3am or so with a general feeling of anxiety and hard to sleep afterwards. I quit coffee altogether a few months ago, that helped some. About a week ago I started using cbd and holy crap! It really works...not only do I sleep better, I feel better all day.

This is the one that I tried.
https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/shop/capsules/relaxation-formula-25mg-cbd-capsules

·
Super Moderator
4,386 Posts
I had a prolonged period last year of waking up at 2am and being unable to sleep again. For me putting on a pair of IEM to block out external noises and then playing a loop of whale sounds at very low volumes worked. Focusing on the sound really helped switch the brain off.

I also used Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music for Airports." with success. Again, super low volume, focused on the sound, closed eyes, slowed breathing.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've slept with white noise for roughly 27 years now. Usually a fan with a towel over it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I do that too. Had to start that when the effing neighbor wouldn't shut their dog up. Now its hard to sleep without it if I'm inside. Oddly I don't miss it if I'm sleeping outside.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
4:30 pm really?
Try a couple cups in the morning and then nothing else....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Are you crazy? What'd I do to you? :)

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
430p for a stimulant is kinda late in the day if you want to sleep well less than six hours later.

I’d knock off the stimulants at least eight hours before bedtime; ten to twelve hours is better.

Some of us are lucky though, I drink coffee before bed and it knocks me out. True story.

Are you crazy? What'd I do to you? :)

·
Formerly of Kent
12,357 Posts
430p for a stimulant is kinda late in the day if you want to sleep well less than six hours later.

I’d knock off the stimulants at least eight hours before bedtime; ten to twelve hours is better.

Some of us are lucky though, I drink coffee before bed and it knocks me out. True story.
So, my wife is a curious soul by nature (university professor) and has always been intrigued by the fact that I can and will drink coffee within minutes of getting into bed. Whereas she can't have any after about 2pm if she wants to be able to sleep after getting into bed at 10pm.

She did a bunch of reading well outside her chosen field and determined that it basically boils down to genetics. Basically some people have a gene or series of genes that allow them to process caffeine at a significantly faster rate than most others.

I'll see if I can get her to dig up the paper. IIRC it was a meta analysis of a bunch of other papers. I specifically remember one thing: AA genotype = fast metabolizers, and the AC and CC genotypes = slow metabolizers.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Michael Pollan's latest book on caffeine is an excellent read in an interesting Michael Pollan sort of way. Though I do think some of the studies and conclusions are sloppy for a journalistic take. Either way it's very comprehensive while engaging.

For myself even if I cut off coffee at 9 AM it can have a cumulative effect on my sleep quality over the course of several days vs abstaining. I think the affect on one's brain stem is universal. What I find interesting is caffeine in nature including the green coffee bean is almost always paired with Theanine which effects it's interplay with adenosine in the brain.

·
Co Springs
2,402 Posts
Interesting thread with good information to consider.
Especially genics as posted by Le Duke - new to me.
Always appreciate the insights of a nurse too, Ben.

I've been a late watch employee for just shy of 20 years, 10p to 6a.
Drink coffee most of the night usually backing of by 4am. Food or snacks on shift is willy-nilly but always something. I like some daylight and mid week rides trails etc.... and always have /had reason (or want) to be awake mid day. Typical is bedtime of 730 or 8 am, sleep til I wake on my own at times- often that's 1130 a to 1 pm. Go back to bed around 7 pm to 8 pm to top off my sleep with a nap before going back to work. This is the way it's been for most of my night career and seems to work fine for me. There were times I felt the need to go crash for whatever duration and those were likely related to grampa daycare when I went a little thin on sleep over a few days. 9 to 12 hours was a good boost and I'd feel top of my game.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,237 Posts
white noise generator

1 - 20 of 129 Posts