Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a hardtail, something that will give me a little more speed than my dual suspension bike on light XC & pavement trails.

I'm looking at the following models. Not really too interested in carbon as I want something that can take a bump or two.

They are:

2009 Scott Scale 40
http://scottusa.com/gb_en/product/2412/11751/scale_40

2009 Trek 8500
http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/8_series/8500/

2009 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=39218&eid=99

2009 Rocky Mountain Vertex 50
http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+VERTEX_50.html?BIKE=528#2

Any opinions at all would help out a lot. I'm unfamiliar to the world of hardtails as I've rode a big travel freeride bike for the past 2 years. Thanks very much! :D

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
The trek has the best parts spec of them all- full XT versus an XT/SLX mix on most of them. they all have the same fork on them. one thing is that the trek has tubeless ready wheels/tires- if you want to go the tubeless route that would make it easier. honestly, though, the geometry between them is going to be the biggest difference, so i'd say try as many as you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theextremist04 said:
The trek has the best parts spec of them all- full XT versus an XT/SLX mix on most of them. they all have the same fork on them. one thing is that the trek has tubeless ready wheels/tires- if you want to go the tubeless route that would make it easier. honestly, though, the geometry between them is going to be the biggest difference, so i'd say try as many as you can.
Thanks for the reply. Okay so with the Trek aside being the up-specd one of the bunch (and the price reflects it) I think I'm leaning towards the scott. I've ridden a couple of stumpjumper FSR models and the geometry has always felt weird to me. Need to try the hardtail to be sure... but I'm hearing good things about the scale.

Has anyone had any experience with one or more of these bikes? Or the companies? I've only owned Kona thus far so and insight would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had Rocky HT's(blizzards) in the past and am looking at a Vertex for racing next year. I ride a Spec S-works Epic but miss the HT feel. Rocky is my choice mainly because of their reputation and lack of Scott's around my area. I probably won't ride Spec. anymore, prices are bonkers. IMO 1. RM 2. Trek 3. Scott 4. Spec.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My vote goes for the Trek.

I agree with theextremist. The full-XT component list kinda leans it towards the Trek. All of these companies are good companies that make solid bikes. Trek and Specialized are definitely very well-recognized names in mountain biking (if not at the top.)

Any of them would make a great bike. Again, I side towards the Trek due to the full-XT list. I also much prefer the XT disc brakes on the Trek versus the Avid Juicy 3.5's on the Scott.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cammccarty said:
I have had Rocky HT's(blizzards) in the past and am looking at a Vertex for racing next year. I ride a Spec S-works Epic but miss the HT feel. Rocky is my choice mainly because of their reputation and lack of Scott's around my area. I probably won't ride Spec. anymore, prices are bonkers. IMO 1. RM 2. Trek 3. Scott 4. Spec.
I think at this point I really need to ride them all. They all seem solid. The trek is a little more than I wanted to spend... but I'm not opposed to it.

I'm surprised more people didn't suggest the scott. I was under the (possibly fale) impression that scott would've been the easy winner here.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'd have to say I've tried a Stumpy Comp 29er HT, and I love the geometry. Sure it's not the exact same as the 26, but I'm sure it's pretty simple.
I haven't tried that exact Trek, but I've tried the 6500, and though I like it as well, I felt like I had less room than the Specialized. I felt I was sitting a little more upright than on other XC hardtails I've tried, but that's just me (long torso and arms). Just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.