Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They appear to have discontinued them

Who makes a relativly winter MTB bootie thats not exposed in the toe?
When the toe is exposed it typically
a) gets toes cold
b) lets water in and
c) toes tend to slip up above the toebox in hike a bike situations and thats just poor functional design

SO- reccomendations for good booties with ZIPPERS- PLease- no velcro closing devices- they generally suck wind- under 40 bucks??? if not 40 or less they better be darn good. The best part of the perf booties was the cost. they were so cheap when they ripped you did not feel put out by getting another set for 19.99.

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too am mourning the discontinuation of the Performance neoprene booties. My pair kept my feet warm through many winters. When they finally started to come apart (stitching that held sole to uppers gave out), I took them back to Performnace for an exchange. They didn't have my size in stock and gave me a full refund. I didn't realize they were discontinued and thought I would just order another pair online.

Now I wish I would have tried to repair them. I've been looking around and can't find anything that compares, even at three times the price. The nice thing about the Performance booties was the thick sole. Most others I've seen have a Lycra-type bottom that is likely to wear through after the first few rides.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
I gave up on booties long time ago, I now ride with flats and hiking boots rated to -40C with Thinsulate.

Way more comfortable and versatile.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bringing this back to the top 1 year later. Anyone find anything close to perofmance booties that dont have totally open soles? thats ridiculous when your in snow and the toes flip up over the toe all the time. WTF!

Performance- come back to us!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
I have tried quite a few different booties over the years but they were always on road shoes. This year I am riding my mtb so things have changed. I ordered a set of the new Perlizumi mtb booties. They have velcro closures which did not bother me but I appear to be between sizes. I where a 43 but Perl sells the shoe covers via M, L, XL... I read a review that a guy wearing the same size as me ordered a L and he could barely get the shoe inside them. I went ahead and ordered the XL and found that they are about 1/2" too long. The problem came when I tried to move the toe all the way to the tip, I ended up with the fabric buckling on the edges thus allowing an air opening. I sent them back. Honestly, the quality was decent and they looked like they would keep you fairly warm but they cost about $55!

I have since gone back to my old Perl ones that have some sort of outer material (not neopreme but not nylon either) and a fleece backing on the inside. I had to trim out part of the sole so the lugs on my shoes would fit through them. So far, those combined with some Smartwool socks have held me over for a good hour in 30 degree weather. Next year I will be sporting some actual winter riding shoes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.