Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride whatever a bike comes with and never upgraded to anything from stock so I can't really tell if a step up in part is really going to feel significant.

My setup is an old 2006 bike that has an 8 speed drivetrain with an Acera front dérailleur. It has aways been a pretty stiff shifter and seems wide trying to get the chain to shift up, plus hard on the thumb.

I was wondering id upgrading to the Alivio version would make it a bit easier to shift and crisper? they are cheap on ebay(Alivio 8 speed FD's), so if it would be a significant improvement I may just do it.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly? You probably won't notice a difference between the two.

Go for Deore quality (LX or regular) our higher. The difference in price is well worth the construction.
I didn't think there would be much difference between them since they're the budget parts. I need to go to a different bike, but not sure what style or type of riding I want to invest in. Been leaning towards road, but not sure. I still like to go off the road sometimes if I see a trail. So as I decide I just want to get my old bike all in shape again, so no big upgrades for it, as I save for a new bike.

I love the bike so it's worth it to me to spend a little on it to keep it going. I also want to do the repairs myself and already got all the specialized tools for it from Park Tools. (real nice tools) I got a small, padded tool chest to keep the tools in as I collect them. Good deal.

I'll just clean up the Acera FD and go with that then.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If you are riding primarily on road, and occasionally groomed trails, look into a cyclocross bike. Huge tires do little except slow you down on the road...inverted tread 35-42 tires actually have pretty good traction off-road, and aren't bad on road, either.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are riding primarily on road, and occasionally groomed trails, look into a cyclocross bike. Huge tires do little except slow you down on the road...inverted tread 35-42 tires actually have pretty good traction off-road, and aren't bad on road, either.
my bike needs tires too and I do more road than offroad, but like to dust a trail if I see one along the way, like old railroad beds and such.

I've been looking at the Maxxis Holy Roller. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/mbhrl-1.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.