Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The performance enhancing drug topic got me thinking. I am pretty new to MTB racing and was wondering what type of suppliments and OTC help do you guys take? Training, raceday, post training and racing? Nothing illegal or anything.

I will ussually drink a Dr. Pepper before a hard training effort. I also take a multi-vitamin, some creatine, try to eat alot of lean meat, I also try to carb load the night before a race, pancakes, pasta, something. I also regulalry take Asprine or some other OTC pain med for training soreness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Creatine will make you fat, slow, and retain water. Train your ass off, take a rest day and repeat. Eat clean, sleep as much as possible, and drink a big glass of chocolate milk after your long or hard workouts.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Train hard, recover harder, eat a balanced diet ... and don't fall for all this supplement marketing. Save this money and spend it on a lighter wheel set, this is probably more effective.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Train smart, rest hard, and eat a well balanced diet. I'm big on lots of fish, lean meat, skinless chicken, eggs, oatmeal, fruit, and lots of veggies.

I supplement with these:
1. FRS
2. Multi vitamin
3. Vitamin D

Most of my supplements are meant to boost my immune system and help keep me healthy so i can continue training.

·
Registered
173 Posts
While I am not a great athlete, I found using Beta Alanine very useful while doing endurance events last year. It definitely helped keep the lactic acid at bay for longer.

·
Loving Life
354 Posts
dpatterson100 said:
Creatine will make you fat, slow, and retain water. Train your ass off, take a rest day and repeat. Eat clean, sleep as much as possible, and drink a big glass of chocolate milk after your long or hard workouts.
agreed, Creatine does not cause bloating like sodium (water uptake outside of cell) but it causes water retention (water uptake inside of cell) it may help prolong a short sprint, but in the long run it will do nothing but slow you down with the excess 5-10lbs it gives you.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
what is Beta Alaninie?
Anyone using sport legs?
Why vitamin D?

·
Registered
285 Posts
AlliKat said:
what is Beta Alaninie?
Anyone using sport legs?
Why vitamin D?
beta alanine does the same thing sports legs claims to do, buffers acid in your muscles delaying fatigue. There is a recent study though that brings its effectiveness in question as it didn't help 400m sprinters in a controlled study. It has shown longer time to exhaustion in weight room studies, but as I already mentioned, failed a real-world test.

and until sport legs conducts a lab/field test I'm wary of its effectiveness, it's effective at making some people puke!

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
ManxShred said:
While I am not a great athlete, I found using Beta Alanine very useful while doing endurance events last year. It definitely helped keep the lactic acid at bay for longer.
How do you know that?

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,267 Posts
Creatine has come a long way since its early beginings. Creatine Monohydrate was probably the most common and the one that caused all this stir that you retain water if you take it. That statement is very true. But nowdays, creatine supplements are far more advanced so you might run into a certain type that won't have that effect. I used to take creatine when I was a gym rat and a tack runner. I trained with weights and did a lot of speed training for races, and at some point had to stop using creatine because of weight issues. I gained weight but it wasn't water retained, it was muscle mass. I supplemented my training with whey protein, creatine, glutamine and BCAA's.

A few years ago, my knees finally gave up and I started riding bikes more often. Now that I'm training for my first full season of racing, the only supplements I take are recovery drinks after training and long rides and gels during those rides. I found that eating right and taking care of my body (massages, yoga) has paid more dividends that any supplement has ever had.

Try and do some research. There are a gazzillion things out there that marketing will try and sell you as the magic bean that's gonna boost your performance. But we all know those statements are pure BS...Also you might want to try some stuff on your own to see what works better for you.

·
Registered
636 Posts
+1 on a big glass of chocolate milk for recovery.

I use Infinit during races - it gives me 280 cal per hour in easy liquid form.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why waste time and money on a possible 1% increase in performance when you haven´t got the other 99% perfect?

Other than caffeine, but thats a drug not a supplement. (I know some class it as one but lets face it, we all know its a drug).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I eat a semi-paleo diet except for Im at work (At a Firehall), Sleep and nap as much as possible and take the following: Multi Vitamin, Fish Oil, BCAA drink called Xtend, Vitamin D, Glucosomine/Chondriton. Paleo for Athletes pre and post rides with a fair amount of black coffee throughout the day.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts