Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in the UK we have been brought up on poor customer service, in fact some people think the English and French invented bad customer service so its fair to say I have an high tolerance for poor service.

We all believe that American customer service is the best, so you can imagine my frustration when (Poor) Performance refused to ship my order due to a technicality, no problem a quick email should sort that out, no response to my email, ok lets phone them, result I got some robot pretending to be a person repeating some useless company policy, I then offered to pay by cheque, again robotic nonsense, finally after holding for ages at international call rates (my expense) I finally got through to a supervisor who whilst friendy did not know answers to question she should have known. :confused:

It will be interesting to see what pans out but so far this is the worst service ever and if I had a choice I would had trashed my order and gone some else but they seem to be the only people with the deal I want. :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Of course 800 numbers don't work for international customers.

I've not really had any troubles when following up over the phone. It would seem much better for them to do this stuff electronically, and I'm sure the international part complicates the matter -- was this a payment source related problem?

undead said:
... but I always call at their expense: 1-800-727-2433 9am-6pm EST Monday-Friday

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Unfortunately, you'll be hardpressed to find many if any stories at MTBR about Performance being any good at all. They have by far been the single most frustrating and imcompetent purchasing experience I have ever had - and I've fended off the most devious peddlers in some of the seediest third world markets - and they don't seem like they have any intention to improve their declining and deplorable behavior.

Performance are truly the boil on Satan's sphincter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Unfortunately, you'll be hardpressed to find many if any stories at MTBR about Performance being any good at all. They have by far been the single most
I have trouble understanding this, because I'm noone special and really haven't had any problems with them in the past two years over some 20 orders and maybe $5k in purchases. Yes, from time to time something I order isn't in stock, and I don't find out until receiving the rest of the order. I'd say 1 or 2 of those orders didn't arrive in 2-3 days (Team P member), and that might have taken a day or two more at max. This is not only acceptable but in my opinion exceptional service. Being able to return items that I've had for a year (unused) just adds to that satisfaction level. And the number feature, that the items are about 2-3x cheaper than comparable in the LBS, and usually (at least in the abundant 20% coupons era) 30-50% cheaper than other retailers, makes me feel pretty good about buying stuff from them. Lately I really haven't been able to see as good of deals on their stuff, but I'd doubt the rest of the items factored into choosing them as a retailer have changed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am a Team Performance member and I was wondering when these "coupons" become available to us members. Do they come through mail or do they give you codes via email? Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
I am a Team Performance member and I was wondering when these "coupons" become available to us members. Do they come through mail or do they give you codes via email? Thanks!
You will get them by mail and redeem the coupons at the shop or mail order. I love my local Performance shop and I can't afford mtn. biking without their discount price. I got some dirt cheap parts and accessories from their web order too. Refund takes a bid hassle but can't complain overall.

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dumb or dumber

First the cavet, I work at a senior level in a major ($90m) online retailer so I have more than a passing interest in online efficiency - the company I work for is not perfect but we are honest and we work very hard to be customer facing.

Performance originally declined my credit card order because the card is registered to my home address in the UK but I wanted the stuff shipping to our Illinois office.

Thats not the first time thats happened and my company would ask for further info before shipping, Jenson did the same until I had provided an image of my passport and a utility bill. I offered to fax various invoices from Universal, Jenson, Red Barn as proof but no dice, ditto passort and utility bills. Clearly they thought this was a scam but I pointed out scammers don't waste time on $50 scams !

Because it takes typically 48hours or more to get a reply to an email so I phoned them. After a huge wait I finally got to speak to someone and she honestly had not got a clue about my order or any questions I raised, I pressed her to speak to a team leader, a lady called Shelly steped in and made me repeat every dam thing I had said again, at first she was equally cluesless but bit by bit we found some common ground and I agreed to post off a dollar denominated cheque to cover the invoice.

After a week no response, so I phone, once again the girl on the other end did not a clue, I had to give her several prompts to even establish a discussion re my order - the bottom line being they were not sure if the cheque had arrived as there is only girl who deals with international stuff and she was not around.

Next day I get an email saying we have your cheque but cannot verify it - do you want it returning ?

Talking about dumb - submit the god dam thing - thats the best way to verify, if this was my bussiness I would be deeply ashamed at this totally crap service, without a doubt this ranks as one of the most frustrating examples of online poor service I have experienced :mad: .

Given the high standards of customer service demanded by Americans I fear the writing is starting to appear of the walls for Performance

·
Registered
190 Posts
i love the performance here in Charlottesville VA. great folks, good service. not everyone who works there is the most knowledgeable when it comes to wrenching but there's a fellow named Paul who works there that is the man. he knows what's up, what part you'll need, if it'll fit your bike, etc. even let me borrow some tools when i was removing old and installing new cranks.

that being said, i've never purchased anything through their mail order, just from the store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.