Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a SS and I have a singulator ( freind has one and the LBS recomended it) and now I am looking for a good spacer / conversion kit for 8/9 speed hub. Thinking about getting the wheels manufacturing SS kit with chain guide .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
rekibtm said:
I am building up a SS and I have a singulator ( freind has one and the LBS recomended it) and now I am looking for a good spacer / conversion kit for 8/9 speed hub. Thinking about getting the wheels manufacturing SS kit with chain guide .
that actually looks cool. I like the polished metal look. As for the guides, they could get chewed up by a chain, but then again, they're chain guides.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No need for chain guide. SSing for 14 years and never dropped a chain. Manufacturers fixing a problem that never exists. Standard hub spacers are best. Money saved should buy 2 6-packs.3 PBR's

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up a couple of these kits cheap a little while back as "back-up" spares for a future time when I can no longer find old Shimano freewheel type hubs. What's with the tiny little (thin) spacers? Are these to really fine tune the chain line? They look a lot thinner than the standard Shimano spacers that come with the cassettes.
No, I don't need to buy dedicated fixed/freewheel hubs, I have lot's of cassette type hubs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just put a Surly SS kit on with a Surly cog and chain ring. It was very easy to set up (aside from removing the cassette from my free-hub body) and I think it looks really cool. I do like the look of the chrome spacers though.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I am using a gusset kit with a forte tensioner and have not dropped the chain in my first 100+ miles on it. No guides at all.

G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.