Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your perfect homebrewed light .

based on what I have learnt this last 6 months this would be a contender for me

1 MCE with a Boom SS or M
1 XRE R2 with LC1 -SS

in an Achesalot or Diy easy style housing

powered by a Maxflex from a 11.1 Lithium battery.

and if you want more light then build 2

Now I just have to build one :D
 

·
MTBiker
Joined
·
988 Posts
I love the achesalot designs, very simple and efficient. I'd have to say my ideal light is very similar to yours, but two XRE R2, one with SS and the other with M lens. Ideally a high capacity Li-Ion and buckuck 3023 with dimming pot :p
 

·
aka RossC
Joined
·
936 Posts
Am I going to be the only one who wants more power??? Come on... you all know you secretly crave it :D

I think a twin MCE with boom SS and a XPE r2 x 3 with 20mm optic (depending on how the beam shots end up looking) all in the one body on the bars

PLUS

a quad r2 dyno light all on the bars.

Then throw in some ridiculous helmet light aswell.

Not because I NEED that much light.. I just WANT it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I have not long been coming to this forum and have only built about 4 (ugly!) but reasonably powerful lights (700 lumes+) and have learnt a hell of a lot from everyone here (especially Mr Troutie and Achesalot.
Could this mean your are fed up with all the lights you design? please dont't give in to common sense and practicality,otherwise how the hell do we deal with the stress of life if we dont disapear into our sheds every day, and make "stealth purchases" (as i call them) of swithches,Leds and drivers etc?
You guys are the inspiration to many a bored geezer (and those not willing to pay £300 for a light!)
Stay crazy dude!
Tommo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol::lol:

Ha Ha thanks Tommo I was having a sensible moment for a while there .

Off out riding in a couple of hours supposed to be minus 13 tonight so no mud
I will be using the triple MCE and its brother double mce 2xre on the bars and quad on the helmet for a bit of insanity..

then to plan my 5 mce HipFlex :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Bloody hell! i am in Torbay S.Devon and it was -6 last night i thought that was bad!
At least the trails are dry mate i can put up with the cold for that!
Its a rare treat this time of year to go out and not come back covered in mud!
And at least all the poxy dogs eggs are easier to spot when they are frozen and they dont flick up your back and in your face!
Bloody dog owners who dont pick up theyre hounds leavings get on my tits!
I am going out in the morning about 530 (it leaves the Mrs nothing to moan about as she's still in bed!)
Tommo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
TOMMO said:
Bloody hell! i am in Torbay S.Devon and it was -6 last night i thought that was bad!
At least the trails are dry mate i can put up with the cold for that!
Its a rare treat this time of year to go out and not come back covered in mud!
And at least all the poxy dogs eggs are easier to spot when they are frozen and they dont flick up your back and in your face!
Bloody dog owners who dont pick up theyre hounds leavings get on my tits!
I am going out in the morning about 530 (it leaves the Mrs nothing to moan about as she's still in bed!)
Tommo.
TMMO, I have to ride through a farm on a bridal way.
Those horses can lay some big eggs:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
What would be your perfect homebrewed light .

based on what I have learnt this last 6 months this would be a contender for me

1 MCE with a Boom SS or M
1 XRE R2 with LC1 -SS

in an Achesalot or Diy easy style housing

powered by a Maxflex from a 11.1 Lithium battery.

and if you want more light then build 2

Now I just have to build one :D
first off, Troutie- Thanks for taking the time to post all this info in the forums! you're posts rule.

I'm almost ready to start my first build.. for me I think the ideal situation is going to end up a single MC-E on the helmet (spot optic) and either another MC-E or XR-E on the bars (medium optic).

As far as building the "Perfect" light goes: lately I've been reading alot about the various "bins" and color temps.. It seems alot of people (many on CPF) would sacrifice overall lumens for better color quality.

Any input on your favorite Cree bins/temps??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NEstinkyrider said:
first off, Troutie- Thanks for taking the time to post all this info in the forums! you're posts rule.

I'm almost ready to start my first build.. for me I think the ideal situation is going to end up a single MC-E on the helmet (spot optic) and either another MC-E or XR-E on the bars (medium optic).

As far as building the "Perfect" light goes: lately I've been reading alot about the various "bins" and color temps.. It seems alot of people (many on CPF) would sacrifice overall lumens for better color quality.

Any input on your favorite Cree bins/temps??
Thanks it is nice to know people read some of the stuff I post on here .

Just got back from a brilliant ride and tested 2 lights on a couple of mates .
Darn cold with all the muddy bits frozen wrapped up all toasty and mucho lumens it was ace .

first was a MCE with LEDIL EVA Difuse optic @ 700 ma with a buck puck and we did not turn on the big guns for a while and he was most impressed and wanted one building .
Then I got dropped off the back on a long roady climb and when they waited at the top all he could say was Kin hell that is bright . about the double MCE/double R2 light garry was using .and immediately cancelled the order for a single mce and wanted a triple building.

And Garry who was testing the latest double /double was very reluctant to give it back and said his helmet light was kin useless and not needed .and wants to test it again next time out.

What a great couple of hours out defeating the darkness :D

So all that bollocks I said about a perfect light at the start of this thread is !!!!! bollocks

:devil:I am a lumen whore and I luv it :devil:and have still to build my perfect light

NEstinkyrider
I am not qualified to answer your last question as I have defective colour vision so tints and hues dont mean that much to me but I do seem to lean to the WH/WG tints
 

·
aka RossC
Joined
·
936 Posts
NEstinkyrider said:
As far as building the "Perfect" light goes: lately I've been reading alot about the various "bins" and color temps.. It seems alot of people (many on CPF) would sacrifice overall lumens for better color quality.
Ktronik is a bandit for colour temps and blending multiple BINS to get the best overall tonal quality. Have a look at his post about the 1000 lumen dyno light. Three MCE's all with different colour temps is a nice concept
 

·
Fists of Ham
Joined
·
90 Posts
The perfect light for me kind of depends on the bike it's going on. For the Roadbike i'm quite happy with the DIY Dinotte's i've built - especially the last ones that have Cree R2's and the optics that finally turned up from Cutter. They're a pair - one using a 15degree the other a 25 degree. Plenty of light for on the road, with a decent enough spread to be seen by. The 'cross bike is also fine with the DIY Dinotte's - though I usually add in a 8degree spot on the helmet too.

The MTB is a different beast though - i've been experimenting with optics in my "overgrown Lumicycles can" based system - it's basically a MR16 version of the traditional Lumi MR11 light, with a triple Cree R2 slug in there, powered by a MaxFlex3. The first optic I had from DX was a real thrower, extremely powerful searchlight impressions, but next to nothing anywhere else - probably similar beam pattern to the 8 degree spot but much brighter (by dint of having 3 emitters working away:) ) A second optic, this time from Kaidomain was a complete washout - gave a bright line maybe 140 degree throw, but nothing else. My latest one is another from DX - it's actually a luxeon/seoul specific lens, but it has a better overall beam pattern than the other two (it's just a bit donut-ey!) I reckon that something like the Ledil Rocket 3 Medium would be pretty much bang on, but if I order from Cutter, it'll be summer before I get them, judging by my last order.

What i'd really like for the mtb would be something like the Dinotte 400 in overall size, with the on-off switch at the back not the front. Working from what i've seen on here, probably with one MC-E for flood and something like that new tiny triple emitter XPE R2 for a bit of throw. It'd probably melt first time I used it thought. Still - I can dream ;)

What i'll probably end up with is another of those overgrown lumi cans and a Rocket 3 Medium if I can find someone other than cutter (shippings a bit punitive for a £4 lens from oz to the uk as well tbh) to complement the thrower i've already got.
 

·
Bandolero
Joined
·
2,438 Posts
Nl?

TheBigYin said:
What i'll probably end up with is another of those overgrown lumi cans and a Rocket 3 Medium if I can find someone other than cutter (shippings a bit punitive for a £4 lens from oz to the uk as well tbh) to complement the thrower i've already got.
They're available from a guy called Brum in the Netherlands via a CandlepowerForums group buy. You could probably have them by next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
:lol::lol:

Ha Ha thanks Tommo I was having a sensible moment for a while there .

Off out riding in a couple of hours supposed to be minus 13 tonight so no mud
I will be using the triple MCE and its brother double mce 2xre on the bars and quad on the helmet for a bit of insanity..

then to plan my 5 mce HipFlex :D
Admit it! At -13 you use your lights not because you need the lumens but because they keep you toasty.
 

·
Fists of Ham
Joined
·
90 Posts
notaknob said:
They're available from a guy called Brum in the Netherlands via a CandlepowerForums group buy. You could probably have them by next week.
Cheers Nota... I've just emailed him re: a few bits, certainly seems a better deal!

Gotta love this place, haven't you :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,482 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
What would be your perfect homebrewed light .

based on what I have learnt this last 6 months this would be a contender for me

1 MCE with a Boom SS or M
1 XRE R2 with LC1 -SS


in an Achesalot or Diy easy style housing

powered by a Maxflex from a 11.1 Lithium battery.

and if you want more light then build 2

Now I just have to build one :D
As you know I'm not a DIY'er but for a helmet light, yes...I think that would be about perfect. I have an MC-E torch that throws a nice tight bit of light. When I use my R-2 torch coupled with the MC-E it helps clear up the artifact in the MC-E narrow beam and adds some brightness to the center spot. Spot on for helmet use. For bar use I could see a twin MC-E being a nice setup ( one spot, one medium ..or maybe just two medium )

Tommo wrote: Ahh but those eggs are in tune with nature and dont smell like Beelzibubs armpit like dogs shite doe's!
Give me horse eggs any day!
As far as stench factor is concerned...( horse vs. dog )...Doggie doo wins hands down! :D
 

·
Fists of Ham
Joined
·
90 Posts
pinkrobe said:
Woot! Good prices!
Not only that - I emailed him to check if they were still available - had a reply within 5 minutes, with a price and all ordering details. Needless to say, within a couple of minutes i'd placed my order, paid for the bits and emailed to confirm. Again within 5 minutes, i'd had a reply saying he'd got the money, and they were going in the post that night.

Maybe he could give Cutter a lesson or two on customer focus :D
 

·
One Gear
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
TheBigYin said:
Not only that - I emailed him to check if they were still available - had a reply within 5 minutes, with a price and all ordering details. Needless to say, within a couple of minutes i'd placed my order, paid for the bits and emailed to confirm. Again within 5 minutes, i'd had a reply saying he'd got the money, and they were going in the post that night.

Maybe he could give Cutter a lesson or two on customer focus :D
The biggest pisser is that Cree is 5 hours from my house and it takes 2+ weeks to get anything to my door. Next time that I'm in North Carolina, I'm going to be knocking on their door. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top